Time to put the P5 down... to 3 Skyactiv or not 3 skyactiv... that is the questions

D3monix

Well After 185k My starter motor is starting to go, just after I replaced the clutch and control arms. I've officially declared it a money pit and now am shopping. I'm paying cash and looking at topping out 29.5k CAD including taxes. I figure I can get at least something for the P5 as a trade in. I would like to be closer to 25k but W/E. Keep in mind I'm Canadian.

I'm looking at the 3 skyactiv, Auto, sunroof and cruise control.
Or a 2012 Ford focus SEL with Auto, and sun roof, Cruise is included etc etc.
Or a Subaru impreza 2.0i Sport Package 5-door, and auto.

I really want to like the skyactiv but the focus is just a really nice place to be and there's a lot on there standard that are optional extras on the 3 skyactiv.

Any thoughts?

I didn't like the interior on the focus the last time I was in one. I'm die hard Mazda, so my opinion is pretty biased lol. Skyactiv is exclusive to Mazda, so you wouldn't be getting it with the Focus. I say if you want the latest and greatest so to speak, go with the Mazda.

I test drove all of your cars in question.
The focus is very nice, but the auto transmission is having issues (google it). I almost pulled the trigger and got the focus. Lots of nice features that come standard. But much smaller storage space than the 3.
The subaru interior is flat out too plane for what they are charging for the car. Plenty of power. MPG is ok.
I put aside the silly grin aspect the 3 has and drove both the 2.5 and the 2.0 skyactiv. The 2.5 is much more fun to drive(more power but worse MPG)
The 2.0 is no slouch either. I bought the skyactiv because I was going more for MPG than HP. It has more handling fun than the focus and the subaru. More storage space and better MPG.

I checked all of these when I was looking and settled on the 3 (with auto for my wife). Focus and Imprezza had aspects of transmission design that I considered to be serious mistakes, so here I am.

I took a test drive in the 3 sport skyactiv today and well I was disappointed. I didn't really feel contected to the road. It was an awesome place to be but once on the road I didn't really feel the road, Steering was really light and I felt uncomfortable with some of the blind spots, in contrast to my P5.

I did get some of the "fizz" James May talks about on Top Gear when I drove a 2012 Subaru sport. Might have been the flappy paddles dunno. More thinkin to do I guess.

I'm in a similar position. My 02 Protege just got T-boned by a senior citizen and I'm fairly sure it's totaled. I test drove the new skyactive 3, it felt like home but you can only get a manual transmission (with skyactive) on the base trim level. Manual transmission is a must for me, automatics make me sleepy. I also test drove the Hyundai Veloster. At 138 hp it technically has more power than my old protege but it has 0 low end torque so it feels slow. The interior on the Hyundai is years ahead of anything Mazda is offering (sigh) and it has a comparable slalom speed. A 200hp Turbo Veloster is supposed to come out in the next couple of months. From what I hear, the press introduction is this week.
I've driven rented Ford Focuses recently and the transmission is just as bad as they say at low speeds. Subies have been beaten by the ugly stick a little too much the past few years.
Why is it so hard to find something with more power, better mpg, comparable or better handling, manual trans, and a nice interior? I mean it's been 10 years!

The interior on the 3 is much nicer than the focus. Also, my M3 skyactiv (at 5100K) got 570km on a tank the last time I filled it, I also drive it pretty hard. I'm very impressed with it so far! When I first bought it I noticed a lag, but since I've installed the CS intake, the lag is gone, and its about 100 times more fun to drive.

Here's a nice little comparison test by MotorTrend for compacts that get 40MPG....no Surprise the Mazda 3 wins overall!
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1208_40_mpg_compact_sedan_comparison/

My fiancee and I torn right now on what car to get for our needs; either a Mazda 3 i-Grand Touring, CX-5 Touring/Grand Touring or even the new VW Jetta GLi (which is much better quality than the regular Jetta's currently).

Just curious since this keeps being brought up: Does anyone know if/when a fully (or even partially) loaded MT skyactiv will be offered??

Just curious since this keeps being brought up: Does anyone know if/when a fully (or even partially) loaded MT skyactiv will be offered??

From what I've heard from Mazda, never, here in the states anyway. That could change with the next year model though. I wanted a fully loaded cx5 M/T, but as luck always has it, no luck.

From what I've heard from Mazda, never, here in the states anyway. That could change with the next year model though. I wanted a fully loaded cx5 M/T, but as luck always has it, no luck.

It seems so counterintuitive from a company that's motto is "zoom-zoom" to only offer the best features with the automatic transmission. Maybe some news will come soon, and you'll be right.

This may be a bit late, but the next door neighbor has a Focus SES and while it's an OK car, it is no nicer inside than my 10 year old P5. Also, the "MySync" is so slow that it's actually dangerous to use while driving.

I was in the same boat as you, except add VW Golf to the list.

Honestly I probably liked the Focus more than the Mazda3 overall but the auto transmission in the Focus drove me insane. Rented one for a few days on a business trip and almost got into an accident because of it, almost rear ended someone during a test drive with it. Also the "infotainment" system in the Focus is baffling. If my fianc wouldn't have talked me out of a manual, I probably would've gotten the Focus though.

Hated the Golf, didn't test drive the Impreza because of its CVT.

I test drove all of your cars in question.
The focus is very nice, but the auto transmission is having issues (google it). I almost pulled the trigger and got the focus. Lots of nice features that come standard. But much smaller storage space than the 3.
The subaru interior is flat out too plane for what they are charging for the car. Plenty of power. MPG is ok.
I put aside the silly grin aspect the 3 has and drove both the 2.5 and the 2.0 skyactiv. The 2.5 is much more fun to drive(more power but worse MPG)
The 2.0 is no slouch either. I bought the skyactiv because I was going more for MPG than HP. It has more handling fun than the focus and the subaru. More storage space and better MPG.

actually the focus hatch has a larger storage capacity than the mazda 3 hatch.

I am in the same place between the 2013 ford focus hatch SE witht he 201A package and black pack with my ford sync (upgraded suspension making it very nice to drive actually and comes with winter tires/rims) for $25000 - $25500 and the 2012 mazda gs-sky (the only addons being fogs, tint, and cargo tray) $26,500 - $27,500 i'm still working on getting the price down on the Mazda3

oh and i've played with the my ford touch and found it very easy to use, even while driving. I don't understand peoples complaints about it.

I actually liked the Focus automatic, it feels like an automated manual, complete with low speed lurching lol. I'd feel at home with that transmission. I haven't tried a Skyactiv auto yet but the torque converter should eliminate low speed lurching.

3 skyactive plain sucks.
it seem very cheaply made ocmpared to the speed 3 and i'm not impressed about the MPG

it isn't fun to dirve, it is always hunting for a straight line.
look elsewhere, wish i did...at leat my wife is the one driving it and not me...
on the weekends when my speed3 is buring in the garage, and the only one available is the skyactive or my track car, i move both cars out to take the speed3...that's how much i hate the skyactive

The Skyactiv 3 has the same suspension setup as the regular 3s, I don't know what you're talking about. Gas is $4.50 a gallon average in Canada, $5.20 for premium. Compared to the other fuel efficient cars like Corolla, Civic, etc., the Skyactiv 3 is the most fun to drive, well tied with Focus.

Back