Air conditioning drain plugged up

jabba

:
2008 MS3, 2008 CX-9
So for a couple of weeks we noticed that upon taking a left turn, we would hear a loud slushing noise (like a fan was being strained). Only on left turns, not right turns. I noticed water was leaking into the passenger foot well, and upon removing the cabin filter panel in the back of the glove box, I noticed that things were wet in there. So I could only surmise that water condensating from the AC had somehow gotten into the duct system, and on turning left was hitting the fans?

Took it into the dealer, and the AC drain was plugged up with leaves, small acorns, etc, so the water had backed up like I thought. $200 later they had cleaned everything out.

Not sure why this happened, the only thing I can think of is that I had changed the cabin filter last year with the inexpensive TYC filter that you can find online. The filter seemed fine, although a bit bunched up in the middle, so not sure if all this crud got past it?

I ordered a couple of new filters, different brands (one by Pentius, the other by ATP), just to see if those are a little more stiff than the TYC. Or maybe I was a dumba** and somehow bunched up the TYC filter after installing it...?

Anyway, just thought I'd post this in case someone does a search for it, I couldn't find something similar in my search of the forum (then again, my search skills aren't the best).

highly doubt it was the cabin filter. sometimes this happens, probably starts with slime and stuff on the drain tube then dirt starts to stick and before you know it...plugged tube. i've seen it happen on many cars.

key here is make damn sure you get the carpet and everything dried out.

Quick update for those looking for cabin air filters:
I bought two different brands recently (the first I had bought was the TYC brand):
1. ATP FA-14
2. Pentius Ultra Flow

The ATP is a stiffer filter that is impregnated with activated carbon (supposedly controls odors better). So definitely stiffer than the TYC and the Pentius, feels like it won't move around like the TYC did (my TYC was scrunched up in the middle when I took it out recently). The activated carbon is a nice-to-have, not really a major selling point for me, but I'll see if I can notice any changes in air quality (doubt if I will...)

The Pentius is very similar to the TYC, maybe just a little stiffer--maybe. So between Pentius and TYC, I'd go with whatever is cheaper.

I put in the ATP first, so we'll see how that does during the course of the year. Both these filters were just a few bucks more than the TYC, so I guess it was worth a try.

Problem fixed

Guys I had the problem of having my a/c leak water in the passenger side of my 2007 cx-9. I have had the swoosh noise and seen the water leak under the glove compartment. I have searched threads and solutions and will tell you it's not as easy to find the drain. I went to a local mechanic located in edgewater NJ actually there a car wash. But they have a good mechanic there. The owner jonnes was the person who helped me...

He was nice to show me where the drain was located. It's under the car almost in the middle. And it's covered by the metal mesh that is bendable. The drain is actually a white grommet. There isn't a hose like the hose that's on the air coolant section that is located in the hood.... They had to open the glove compartment and pushed the air through that. Literally over 2 liters of water came out from the drain..... They were also nice to show me where the recharge for the ac goes too.... Now I know how to do it myself....

They charged me $70 dollars. Plus a car wash .... I couldnt be more thankful.... I wish car manuals can show you these litte details.

I can post you a picture of it..if you want to see

jessecamp, thanks for the update post, please put up the picture if it's not too much trouble, I'd love to see it.

Thread from the dead, I know, but it helped me out! Only took about a second of suction and whatever was clogging my drain came out and I got a little wet. Thanks for keeping me out of the dealer![emoji1303]

Back