Hood and Mirror Vibration

I am at present looking to replace my xtrail.

The 173 bhp sport AWD is on my short list.

At present i am watching developments regarding the oil level rise, that some owners are experiencing.

However today i had another test drive, and for the first time used the motorway, although i noticed no bonnet vibration, i did see a very noticeable vibration on the drivers side mirror, note this was a RHS drive UK car, no noticeable vibration on the passenger side.

The car is only on 1500 miles so quite new.

So it appears no fix has been made?

I have never had a door mirror vibrate on a modern car, and certainly don't think its a minor problem.

Ps I also found the wind noise at speed, 60mph plus extremely tiring.

From what I have been reading on the forums, Mazda is working on a TSB/Fix for the mirror vibration. Supposedly it is only a few months away.

I have a lot of issues with the car but wind noise speed isn't a problem for me even at 70mph+ unless it is an excessively windy day.

Regarding this mirror vibration, I've spoken to my dealer in Vienna, according to his source, solution is already applied to new cars (in production line), and solution should come "soon" for already shipped CX-5s. That "soon" I take with grain of salt, as at first, he told me mirror fix suppose to come late SEP, then mid OCT... still not there.

Personally, I didn't experience this as a big issue (I really have to focus in order to see such vibration), maybe my CX-5 is not affected (or not to that extent).... however as soon as fix is available, I'll apply it.

As for noise, you can always opt for this (not for faint heart (attn)):

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited:
From what I have been reading on the forums, Mazda is working on a TSB/Fix for the mirror vibration. Supposedly it is only a few months away.

I have a lot of issues with the car but wind noise speed isn't a problem for me even at 70mph+ unless it is an excessively windy day.

I have road tested 3 different cx5 now, and had made my mind up that we would be ordering one, but sometime next year after the teething problems were sorted.

Previously i noticed no wind noise, of any note, but the motorway run came as a bit of a shock.

The noise appeared to me to originate from the top of the windscreen, but the wife thought it was the wing mirror.

So it looks like I'll have to have a further test drive!

Regarding this mirror vibration, I've spoken to my dealer in Vienna, according to his source, solution is already applied to new cars (in production line), and solution should come "soon" for already shipped CX-5s. That "soon" I take with grain of salt, as at first, he told me mirror fix suppose to come late SEP, then mid OCT... still not there.

Personally, I didn't experience this as a big issue (I really have to focus in order to see such vibration), maybe my CX-5 is not affected (or not to that extent).... however as soon as fix is available, I'll apply it.

As for noise, you can always opt for this (not for faint heart (attn)):

Cheers,
Miki

Great video, saved to favorites, at lest i now know how everything fits!

On the test run i asked the salesman to put the display up for the average MPG, i was a little let down to only see 37.5 average on the run, most of the driving was normal pace, only used the full throttle a few times to see how the traction stood up to full acceleration.

But the engine had only 1500 miles on the clock.

I'm not convinced that the salesman had got the correct display up though.

What do you get as a average with the 175hp diesel?

I had two test drives with a Honda CRV, but prefer the CX5 to drive, the Honda showed 45mpg average on the fist test, and with the second test, different car only 42mpg

Well I do drive a lot on highways, 150+ km/h, so maybe I'm not the right person to talk about consumption. Everything below 120 km/h about 6.5-7l per 100km. If I drive it 150,160 km/h it can go to 9-10l per 100km

In the city (with very heavy traffic here in Vienna) about 8.5l (note that I do warm-up my car these days quite a bit, about 15min before I leave).

Cheers,
Miki

Great vid, very labor intensive, can only imagine the rattles that will need to be fixed later. For me not worth the expense (mostly labor cost) and possible extra weight tbd, not experiencing noise issues.

Just to let you know that there is a TSB for the mirror vibration. My dealer fix the mirror and the vibration is gone. The TSB is valid at least in Canada. TSB 09-13-03

^Can't find any info on this TSB for US, or at least I don't know where to look for it.. For a 2014 model.

^Can't find any info on this TSB for US, or at least I don't know where to look for it.. For a 2014 model.

I believe the TSB is only for 2013 models. They claim after a certain date this issue was fixed in new production, but I just took delivery of a 2014, and the hood and side mirror most definitely shake.

My 2014 CX5 GT is also experiencing driver side mirror shaking on highway driving.. it's pretty strong too. When music is playing with reasonable volume, the bass causes even more vibrations. Really annoying each time I look in the mirror to check traffic.

I expect / hope that there will be TSBs for the 2014 mirror and hood vibration, since it is clear as day Mazda still hasn't fixed this problem.

The dealership performed the driver's side mirror TSB fix yesterday. I had to take it in twice: 1st for them to disassemble the mirror and determine exactly which kind of bracket/part to order as per the TSB, and the 2nd time for them to install the new bracket. They expected it to take 2 hours, but it ended up taken them almost 4 hours because it was the first time they were doing this particular repair. The driver's side mirror is perfect now - no vibration. I highly recommend having this fix done if you are noticing mirror vibration on your 2013 CX-5 (mine was particularly bad - April 2012 build date). I had the hood vibration TSB repair done last fall, so both issues have been corrected and the dealership I've been working with has been stellar in their service. (i.e.: For the delay in making the repair they immediately gave me a loaner for the day so I wouldn't miss my other appointments and they thoroughly washed the exterior and cleaned the interior free of charge. The service manager himself was involved in making sure everything was taken care of. Also, every time I've visited they have always checked to make sure that the infotainment software is up to date. No updates have been released for the 2013 CX-5 as of yesterday. Occasionally, there has been a smudge or minor stain on the sandy-color seat fabric and they have cleaned it also at no charge. These little things make a difference and add up.)

Last edited:
Took mine to the dealership today to have them check out the hood and mirror shaking. The service manager said that there is a TSB for the mirror on the 2014 models now. He also informed me that there is a backorder for the drivers side mirror due to all the repairs that are going on around the country. So apparently it's a serious issue that needs to be addressed. There currently isn't a TSB for the hood on the 2014 models but he did some calling around and they are going to order some parts and I need to take it back to them on Friday. I will let you guys know what I find out.

I have driver side mirror shake on my 2014 Grand Touring. Mike, if you find out the TSB, please let me know. I plan to have this fixed the first time I take the car in for regular maintenance.

Took mine to the dealership today to have them check out the hood and mirror shaking. The service manager said that there is a TSB for the mirror on the 2014 models now. He also informed me that there is a backorder for the drivers side mirror due to all the repairs that are going on around the country. So apparently it's a serious issue that needs to be addressed. There currently isn't a TSB for the hood on the 2014 models but he did some calling around and they are going to order some parts and I need to take it back to them on Friday. I will let you guys know what I find out.

The pre-2014 TSB is Bulletin 09-002/13, last issued 02/26/2013, titled DRIVER-SIDE POWER DOOR MIRROR VIBRATION.

It is for CX-5s with VINs lower than JM3KE******168885. The more extensive of two possible repair procedures involves ordering and installing a metal strut inside the door, with one end being the attachment point for the outside mirror. Thus the whole frame of the door is stiffened to improve the integrity of the mirror mount.

Back