Hood and Mirror Vibration

I have the GS FWD and the driver side mirror vibrates at 90 kph. Passenger side mirror is fine and I am not noticing any hood vibration. My build date was June 2012. Hopefully, a tsb for the driver side mirror will come out soon.

2013 Touring - 3600 miles - No vibration of hood, mirrors, or anything. I have noticed a small rattle somewhere in the dash. It seems to be mostly when car is cold. Very negligible though.

I have the GS FWD and the driver side mirror vibrates at 90 kph. Passenger side mirror is fine and I am not noticing any hood vibration. My build date was June 2012. Hopefully, a tsb for the driver side mirror will come out soon.

My AWD Touring was built in June 2012 as well. No vibrations in hood or mirrors at 1,300 miles. I'm wondering if they made a production change right around that time.

This is a reply I posted in another thread regarding my experience with mirror vibration and reporting this to the dealer:

I have this problem and reported this during my 1st dealer visit.

The service guy says "this is due to additional mirrors (1.5 inch circulars) attached to main mirror.
I reply: "driver's side mirror does not vibrate and this was happening before small mirrors were attached"
Service guy: "We will not repair it, this is how our product has been designed"

I am serious - per this dude, this mirror vibration has been designed by Mazda. This was my first and last visit to this place.

Last edited:
My CX-5 GT model is now 4 months old with 5300 miles and absolutely NO problems. No vibrations, NO loose mirrors or hood.
Heck, I have NOTHING to complain about and this is probably my 20th car purchase.

So anybody seen and read the actual TSB on the hood yet? It would be interesting to see what the fix involves.

There are 4 adjustable rubber bumper stops that the hood rests on. I suspect that the people with a vibration on the hood simply need to make sure that all four of the stops are twist adjusted to have light pressure on the hood to eliminate open space which could cause vibration.

I just took my CX-5 to the garage yesterday for these issue. For the mirror they will order a new one and see. They will keep the old in case the new is worst as some people mention on this forum. For the hood, there is a TSB report and it involved some kind of glue, that needs to cure for 6 hrs... I have an appt. on October 18 and I will let you guys know what was really involved in this.

Last edited:
i've contacted mazda corporate regarding this mirror vibration, figuring they're be in-the-know in anything coming down the pipeline regarding this. the person who responded back suggested going to the dealer first.

so, I've spoken to my local service department. they said it's a well known and very common issue, and that they're expecting an advisory to come out probably in four weeks or so. due to that, they are holding off on looking into the mirror vibration at this time but suggested I call back in several weeks to see if anything new comes out.

according to them TSBs can take a long time to come out, anywhere from six months to a year. so, i take it talks of a TSB for this may just be coming out in due time. i was told some people in corporate are more customer relations-oriented & non-technical so they may be unaware of things going on regarding it.

i've contacted mazda corporate regarding this mirror vibration, figuring they're be in-the-know in anything coming down the pipeline regarding this. the person who responded back suggested going to the dealer first.

so, I've spoken to my local service department. they said it's a well known and very common issue, and that they're expecting an advisory to come out probably in four weeks or so. due to that, they are holding off on looking into the mirror vibration at this time but suggested I call back in several weeks to see if anything new comes out.

according to them TSBs can take a long time to come out, anywhere from six months to a year. so, i take it talks of a TSB for this may just be coming out in due time. i was told some people in corporate are more customer relations-oriented & non-technical so they may be unaware of things going on regarding it.

Thanks for the update. Mine will be due for its first service in about a month of so, so hopefully the TSB for the mirror will be out by then.

Hood vibration has been solved. A TSB or somethng like that have arrived to my dealer and was aplied when oil change. The hood is much better indeed.

Hood vibration has been solved. A TSB or somethng like that have arrived to my dealer and was aplied when oil change. The hood is much better indeed.

I took my Touring AWD into the dealer due to hood vibration, driver's side mirror vibration, and a rear seat that wouldn't latch properly in the upright position (<1500miles). It took the dealer 50 mins to look at everything and get back to me. Here's what they did:
1. There is a very recent TSB (# 09-029/12) for hood vibration (at speeds higher than 68mph) for CX-5s manufactured prior to April 18, 2012. They explained that some vehicles which left the mnfc facility received less than optimal amount of glue (from the robotic assembly line) to affix the hood panel to the frame underneath. As a result, some vehicles are experiencing excessive hood vibration. They said my vehicle was the first one they had received with this issue and that they have ordered the parts (tools and glue) they need to apply the TSB corrective procedure. It will require a full day (28 min corrective procedure followed by 6 hours for glue/bonding agent to cure (at 70F) during which time the vehicle cannot be moved) for them to do it during which time they will provide me with a loaner vehicle. (For those interested, my vehicle was mnfc at the Hiroshima, Japan plant.)
2. The driver's side mirror vibration was due to the mirror slightly popping out of the brackets behind it. They pushed it back in with some pressure using only their fingers and indicated that it did pop back in. The vibration has decreased but there is still some vibration compared to the right side passenger mirror. I'll keep an eye on it and report back to them when I take the vehicle back for the hood fix mentioned in #1. UPDATE: It's possible that the driver's side mirror vibration may be a result of the hood vibrating. They want to revisit the mirror after the hood has been fixed.
3. The latch on the rear driver's side seats was stuck open and would not secure the seat in the upright position. It needed to be lubricated and is working properly now.

Last edited:
lightweight hoods vibrate. my wrx's hood looked like it was sizzling bacon. im glad im not as anally rententive as everyone on the internet seems to be. id never be happy with anything.

I have about 1300miles and noticed the driver side mirror vibration. I haven't called the dealer yet, but would be doing some soon.

Thanks withadot for thorough and helpful report (and TSB reference).

So I went in for my second oil change (12,000 mi) this past weekend. I went with the TSB printed out of the dash rattle and front door/fender rattle. I also mentioned to them about the vibrating mirror and hood. The dash rattle is intermittent and since the car did not reproduce the sound during their "test drives," they would not fix it. So, I said, "I have this TSB printout from Mazda that shows there is a problem with the car and clearly outlines how to fix it, and just because this intermittent issue will not reproduce for you at this time, you won't take care of it for me?" Service guy says "no, in order for Mazda to reimburse us for the tsb work, the car has to clearly show the issue and we cannot find anything wrong." So no TSB work for me i guess. I asked about the mirror and hood just to kicks because I was pretty much demoralized at this point and they said there was no TSB issued for those problems and that the vibes were not excessive enough to warrant replacement of the parts so no luck there either. Any suggestions on how to proceed? There is another dealer an hour away but I have a feeling they will probably give me the same round around as well. Is this common place at dealers to not fix TSB issues if the problem can't be reproduced? It's just lousy because I clearly have an issue and I know it, but since it just so happen to not reproduce for the mechanics at that time i'm sol. I'm trying really hard to love this car but i'm so ready to torch the thing after these dealer experiences.

Can you email or Scan or fax the TSB for the dash?

I have a little rattle mainly when cold - and if it's easy I might as well do it myself.

thx

So I went in for my second oil change (12,000 mi) this past weekend. I went with the TSB printed out of the dash rattle and front door/fender rattle. I also mentioned to them about the vibrating mirror and hood. The dash rattle is intermittent and since the car did not reproduce the sound during their "test drives," they would not fix it. So, I said, "I have this TSB printout from Mazda that shows there is a problem with the car and clearly outlines how to fix it, and just because this intermittent issue will not reproduce for you at this time, you won't take care of it for me?" Service guy says "no, in order for Mazda to reimburse us for the tsb work, the car has to clearly show the issue and we cannot find anything wrong." So no TSB work for me i guess. I asked about the mirror and hood just to kicks because I was pretty much demoralized at this point and they said there was no TSB issued for those problems and that the vibes were not excessive enough to warrant replacement of the parts so no luck there either. Any suggestions on how to proceed? There is another dealer an hour away but I have a feeling they will probably give me the same round around as well. Is this common place at dealers to not fix TSB issues if the problem can't be reproduced? It's just lousy because I clearly have an issue and I know it, but since it just so happen to not reproduce for the mechanics at that time i'm sol. I'm trying really hard to love this car but i'm so ready to torch the thing after these dealer experiences.

I'm picking up my CX-5 from the dealer tomorrow. They applied the TSB repairs to the hood. (Plemieux, I suggest you take your vehicle to the dealer you bought it from - in case you haven't already - and reference the TSB number I provided in my earlier post. But make sure that your vehicle meets the requirements of the TSB on this issue (e.g.: mnfc date). The dealer also examined the driver's side mirror vibration issue and discussed it with Mazda about it. Mazda has told them to not make any changes/adjustments to the mirror, and to not replace it. Mazda is aware of the mirror vibration issue and is developing a fix (TSB) for it. My dealer indicated that they expect the TSB to be available soon, probably no more than a couple months...so just hang on. I've been pleased with my dealer's response and handling of the situation...and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some difficulties.

Update: got my CX-5 back. Hood vibration is completely gone!

Last edited:
I am at present looking to replace my xtrail.

The 173 bhp sport AWD is on my short list.

At present i am watching developments regarding the oil level rise, that some owners are experiencing.

However today i had another test drive, and for the first time used the motorway, although i noticed no bonnet vibration, i did see a very noticeable vibration on the drivers side mirror, note this was a RHS drive UK car, no noticeable vibration on the passenger side.

The car is only on 1500 miles so quite new.

So it appears no fix has been made?

I have never had a door mirror vibrate on a modern car, and certainly don't think its a minor problem.

Ps I also found the wind noise at speed, 60mph plus extremely tiring.

Last edited:
Back