Help Me Troubleshoot ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Please

mtnbiker26

Bike Geek
I've had an intermittent ABS and Brake System light on the dash for the past few weeks. I busted out the manual and followed the instructions to jumper the TBS to ground and I got DTC codes 14 and 48 which indicates the left rear ABS wheel sensor is not reading correctly.

I just ripped out half the trunk to get to the connector of the ABS sensor and I'm getting the specified the voltage reading (.300ish at one revolution per second) so voltage seems okay but I THINK the impedance is all wacky. It's been a while since I've used a multimeter so I'm pretty rusty.

Soooo, my question: Is normal voltage but odd impedance a sign of a bad sensor? Just want to be pretty sure that the sensor is bad before I drop the hundred bucks on a new one. Any other advice or quick and dirty ways to check the sensor? Thanks in advance!!!

Whoops! Rookie move!!! I just remembered that there are two fuses in the meter. The fuse for resistance measurement is blown. That explains a bunch. The car is up on jack stands so I guess I'm riding my bike over to Home Depot.

Got a fuse and the meter is working. Just checked one of the other sensors that is known to be functioning correctly and measured .3V and 1.3kOhms which is within spec. The left rear is way off. I measured .2V and 12megaOhms so I guess I'll be replacing the sensor.

Hi. Do you have instructions/pictures on how to replace the ABS Speed Sensor? Drive side rear. Is this a job a novice could do, you think?

Thanks!
N

Thanks Gswift. That looks much more intimidating than I thought. :-( Let's see if I get the courage!

Back