Exhaust joint leak...sealant recommendations

MazdaSpeeder

:
Protege5 (5-spd)
Here's the deal...since I installed my SLS midpipe, I've got a leak where the rear of the midpipe meets the the catback. The gasket there is just not holding back the exhaust leak, and I'm going to try some sanding and replacing the gasket yet again. However, I have a feeling I may end up needing to use some exhaust leak sealant when I get it all back together. I was curious if any of you all had any recommendations, both on the type/brand and actually applying it to the leak. Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
try using two gaskets and torque the bolts as hard as you can get. if you've had issues with that joint since the first installation, it likely had a bad flange alignment when it was welded up.

I don't think it's the flange alignment...it seems very snug. There's some rust on one flange that needs to be sanded off. The typical exhaust gasket that fits this joint is an "O" gasket that sits inside a lip on the mipipe flange. I have found another that has two bolt holes and seals the entire connection...going to try both at once.

if the stock o-gasket doesn't fill the sealing area, you will get a leak. if it wasn't manufactured correctly, the void could be larger than it should be. good call to add the second gasket that seals the whole face. the should do it.

i have the same problem from when i installed my ebay exhaust....the flange from the catbak was pretty rusted and very uneven in terms of causing a good seal to the new gasket...Mazdaspeeder, where did you get your gasket that you speak of? the one that covers the entire face and the bolt holes...i think that might solve my problem as well. Otherwise i was gonna try some high temp silicone or something...

Well, I sanded the flange, installed both and it helped, but I still have a leak! I can feel it coming out the top of connection. Not sure what to do next...this is really frustrating.

P5Zac: here are the gaskets I used with their autozone part numbers: Felpro 23591 (stock "O" gasket) and Felpro 9547 (full face gasket). Autozone stocks felpro...I believe advance has something similar by a different manufacturer, but they were out of stock here.

I had a leak in that same spot. I bought exhaust sealant, high temp, from autozone. It's like a thick gray glue almost. I coated the s*** outta the flanges and worked it in the gap as good as I could. No more leak

Unless you want to weld a plate onto the flange to give you a new flat surface and then fill the voids with weld, sealant is probably gonna be all you can do

No...I just bought a second full-face gasket and I'm thinking I may try running two of them with no O gasket. Really hoping I can rube-Goldberg this so that I don't have to use sealant.

I had the same issue with my Honda but at a different spot we just cut the flanges off and welded the pipes together.

Latest posts

Back