Break in period?

:
Pearl White AWD GT w/Tech
Just got my car last night at the dealer, I've been careful not to rev is past 3k rpm's. Is anyone following a break-in schedule? I was thinking maybe 1200 miles before I start opening her up on the highway.

I remember reading somewhere for the first 1000 KM to no do anything out of the normal, towing a boat, constant same speed for prolonged periods, hammering on the gas. Again not sure if this was in the Owners Manual or in stuff from the dealership.

meh. Drive it 80% how you plan on driving it later in its life. I've always done this...never had an issue.

Really as long as you don't do cruise control at 70mph highway for 1000 miles straight the car will be fine. It just needs revving low to high to get the seals set proper. New cars aren't like old cars with the breakin. Just drive it normal and dont race it with your foot to the floor.

Standard language from the current Mazda Owner's Manuals:

Break-In Period
No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of your Mazda.
Do not race the engine.
Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended
periods of time.
Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
Avoid full-throttle starts.

Added to that, I also wouldn't tow anything like Caspan suggested. Really, you just kind of want to baby the vehicle until at least 600 miles.

Back