Running Board or Hidden Step 2012 CX9?

So pulled the trigger and purchased a Set of Onki Lighted Running boards for my 2012. Got with Onki and they sent me some pictures of the install and gave me some advice for installing them. Really happy with the response I got from them and the quality of the running boards as a local shop here has them but cannot get them in from their supplier. So ordering them from CARID and having the local shop install them including wiring up the lights.
I have put the pictures in my profile area and in a album for the running boards. Will take some pictures and post them when the are installed on the vehicle.
Here are a couple of the pictures that they sent me.
View attachment 198800
View attachment 198801
View attachment 198802
That looks really nice, but still look too close to the ground to me.
Thumb up.

I think it would look good on a black or white car.

My concern would be - Are there any components lower than this or would the runningboard mounts be the lowest point on the car? NOT good to snag one of these!

Hard to tell with the pictures (More on my profile if you want to look at them if needed I can post them) as they seem to show a few components that may be lower or even with the mounting brackets of the boards. Thinking it is either even with or just lower than the exhaust system and possible even and just higher than some of the suspension components.
Will take a better look when they are installed and see what it looks like. Would think if you snagged something on the boards or mounting brackets you may snag something on the front air dam or on the back part of the car first.

After posting this I did think of one thing that may concern me and that will be speed bumps and such. I have a few fun ones in the apt. complex here in Everett that has some long and what I consider a little high but will need to see what kinda of clearance the car has right now without the boards installed and then after they are installed. May have park the car over one and see what it looks like but yea that would be something that would concern me for ground clearance.....

But it is a concern I will take note of as it is a valid concern to look at.

I think it would look good on a black or white car.

My concern would be - Are there any components lower than this or would the runningboard mounts be the lowest point on the car? NOT good to snag one of these!

Last edited:
So I got them installed today, love the look, think it changes the look of the vehicle.
I also added the Roof Rack recently, gotta love Med Center Mazda, they have or had a special running for the whole setup for the Roof rack and cross bars.
So local shop here in Everett, WA did the work as I have no tools while I'm here in Washington working and such.
They did a real good job.
Only issue and a minor one at that is the light relay that ties into the Dome lights chatters as the Dome lights dim but that is expected as the power goes down so does the ability for the relay to hold and until it finally releases. Not a big issue as I lock my doors pretty much as soon as I shut them, it is just when you get in the car and get ready to start the car.
Here are some pictures of the Before and after on my car.
album.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks - let us know if they actually improve the vehicle entry/exit. For cartopping my big loads, I could see them helping.

I will do that as soon the wife comes up here in December. For me it is a none issue getting in the car but if I need to put something on the car they will come in handy.
I got on them yesterday and felt no movement at all.
He did not cut the seal like they say to do so they are installed a little different but think it is a very clean install.
The lights are very nice at night as I unlocked the doors for the first time in a long time from the fob.
Thanks - let us know if they actually improve the vehicle entry/exit. For cartopping my big loads, I could see them helping.

Looks good jrgmanict! That speed bump looks "tame". I know you just got them installed, but have you bottomed out the running boards on taller speedbumps? I think my son could benefit from the running boards, but I'd be scared of bottoming out on some of the speed bumps in my area.

Does the shop in Everett you used for install have any other locations around the area?

jrgmanict, how are they working out for you?

These look kind of interesting, something about them reminds me of Audi.
105801.jpg

105803.jpg

105797.jpg

Last edited:
I love the look of the chrome ones in this pic, where are they from?

sorry been away for awhile and with the Holidays have been staying busy.
So far so good, have not bottomed them out in my daily driving yet :)
The wife was up visiting over the Christmas Holiday and she was very happy with the running boards as they really helped her with getting in and out of the vehicle.
Very Happy with the purchase and the installation.
The Chrome ones from Russia look cool and different.

I really like the look of the Onki Nerf boards. I think they would help the kids get in and out without grinding the plastic sill plates. I'm not too sure about the brackets used to mount them though. It seems they would be a lot stronger if the bracket was one piece instead of two. Is there really enough adjustment required to need the two seperate pieces that bolt together? I just went back and looked at the pictures and it doesn't look like it fits with the front splash guards?

Last edited:
The Wife is very happy with the boards and they have really helped her with getting in and out of the vehicle.
The brackets are very strong but I can see your point. Think it is that way to allow for adjustments in the mounting with different vehicles.
There is a gap at the front and to me in the back but not really that bad.
I have not had any real issues with them since they have been installed.
I would recommend them to anyone that owns a CX9.
Was at a gas station in Everett a few weeks back and a person there just kept looking at them....
Think it really adds a different look to the vehicle....

I really like the look of the Onki Nerf boards. I think they would help the kids get in and out without grinding the plastic sill plates. I'm not too sure about the brackets used to mount them though. It seems they would be a lot stronger if the bracket was one piece instead of two. Is there really enough adjustment required to need the two seperate pieces that bolt together? I just went back and looked at the pictures and it doesn't look like it fits with the front splash guards?

Last edited:
Have not been on for a while, I have moved to Kansas awhile back for another contract position.
The Boards are working great, the wife loves them really help her getting in and out of the car.
Have not had any issues with the car bottoming out.
Reggie those look nice, I like the wrap around on the back and the front, who makes those?

Hi jrgmanict,

What is the name of the shop in Everett you used for installation?
Does it have any other locations around Texas?

Thanks in advance.

Adding running boards is the next project my wife wants me to start working on.

Back