refueling issue?

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring w/bose-tech
has anyone else noticed that if they just stop when the pump shuts off that you can put in another couple gallons?

I'm not sure about mine since I was told on this forum to stop filling when the hose shuts off the first time. The poster said "DO NOT give the gas filler nozzle a few extra squirts. You will mess up the evaporation system by loading the charcoal canister with gas and maybe foul the valve that controls the recirulation vent."

That being said I don't know if there's any significant space left after the pump shuts off. One way I can check is to see how many gallons I use vs how many bars I have left on my gauge. I've been refilling when I have about 4 bars showing. Based on the fact that I've been using about 12 gallons to refill it I believe that there's about 4 gallons of space left.

I will try to find out if there's any significant space left... Certainly would not bode well for Mazda if this was an issue...

yeah its mostly getting refueled at one station but doing a long weekend trip so we'll see if maybe its an issue with the pump aerating the gas too much and making it pop off too soon

Never noticed a problem filling tank in 2 months.

I have always noticed this on all my cars. I would hear the pop and I can put in almost 5 more liters. It depends on a few things to be honest, if there is no one else using pumps then you will notice it will fill a lot faster making a lot of bubbles and causing the pump to click off. Just like head on a beer it will settle and you still have tons of room. Next is the neck to your tank it can cause bubbles depending on how fast etc.. On my CX-5 I have the 56 liter tank and I know when my tank reads empty (no marks on the gauge) I can put in 50 liters. If I am at 1/4 tank left, then I know I can put in 40 liters. based on that I am never really trying to over fill it to the point I can see gas sitting at the top but I can tell if it click off at 40 liters and I could put 50 in it then I know I can go more if I let the bubble settle.

Get to know your tank and understand how much fuel it holds based on the fuel gauge and you will know how many liters it should require to fill.

How does it flood the fuel system? I have been doing this for almost 20 years and never had an issue.

Back