Mazda Accessory Hitch

I did not have any trouble holding up the hitch during the install. I didn't lift the car, so I was able to brace the hitch with my knee while I fastened the nuts.

I did not have any trouble holding up the hitch during the install. I didn't lift the car, so I was able to brace the hitch with my knee while I fastened the nuts.

What are you like 2 inches thick?! lolol

I tried using my stomach to brace it but in the end I was lucky my neighbor came home and offered to help, the thing was just too heavy to mange the obstacles as well as fishing the fish wire through the mounting plate (I saw your issue above and figured that would be a good way to keep that from happening) to do it by myself, I'm just not strong enough and have structural issues from age. He earned a cold one for his help.

So, um... I don't really want to install a hitch. I have considered going to the Mazda place, but I'm sure they'd charge me $400 at least. There is a U-Haul here that does hitch installation, but if you look for reviews on that company, they are dismal (but for renting trucks, no?). I suppose I could do the install myself, I just don't want the aggravation. And it will probably sit there for 3 months before I do it. Maybe doing it myself is the least of all evils?

So, um... I don't really want to install a hitch. I have considered going to the Mazda place, but I'm sure they'd charge me $400 at least. There is a U-Haul here that does hitch installation, but if you look for reviews on that company, they are dismal (but for renting trucks, no?). I suppose I could do the install myself, I just don't want the aggravation. And it will probably sit there for 3 months before I do it. Maybe doing it myself is the least of all evils?
Hmm..you say you're conflicted?

If you are the least bit mechanically inclined, you should be able to tackle the install. I personally would suggest some help to lift it up and onto the bolts, and if you have car ramps use them to give yourself room to work. Above all read the instruction sheet. Also any decent mechanic can do the job, I'm sure they'd charge the hourly rate and it doesn't take more than an hour to do it if you are properly prepared.

I was hoping maybe someone had an experience with UHaul. Yes, I have mechanical skills that come from having a house for a quarter century and watching dear old Dad as a kid. So, the plan is to buy a Kurt and if I never seem get to it, I'll know what to do. The to do list is always too long. Thanks, Popeyecahn (what a great name!).

Has anyone here got a pic of the way the 250.00 (or so) Mazda hitch looks like installed? Really just thinking of clearance. Curious too on the way a notched bumber looks.

Thanx

Because I am sure I would have the kind of trouble NEWireless mentions above, I have an appointment with UHaul in about 10 days to have a class III installed. I am building shelves in an effort to organize my garage, and I just don't want another task on the list. Plus I don't want to drop the bolts and re-discover how true Murphy's law is. More power to all of you do-it-yourselfers.

Hey, thanx for the reply. Been away but not long enuf to have not seen this. Boy went thru torture test with the cutout! The CDub needs a lottery ticket winner to feel better. Musta been stressful.

Hey would anyone agree that although you don't gain much room with the stock hitch it appears to get about 3/4" more clearance in a weight or bump contact issue on angle of approach. That's what I'm most worried about.
Also, is there a any differences with the wiring harnesses? Is one better than another for any reason?

Thanks folks -

Last edited:
I had the OEM hitch installed by the dealer as they gave me a great labor rate and a decent discount since I bought it with the car. What I like most about it is that you can barley see it since it is higher up than the aftermarket. It also does not stick out at all.

Back