Took the badges off the back

thegrapeguy

:
2013 Mazda CX5 GT
It took 2 hours with dental floss, a hair dryer, and a microfiber cloth. Also a lot of picking glue off with my finger. But it came out clean and shiny without any sign that they were there.

http://s1094.photobucket.com/albums/i457/thegrapeguy/CX5/?action=view&current=P1000684.jpg

I really like the look. Someone on this forum did the same thing and I liked it a lot...

Once onto my photo bucket page you can get into the CX-5 album to see more photos...

Be honest tell me what you think.

As soon as my new plates come I'll be done with the "look" of the back.

Last edited:
Any residue left just put a bit of googone on a paper towel and rub in a circle for a few times and all the glue is gone. No reason it should take more than 3 minutes.

Commenting on the look I'm liking it more and more. Might do it to mine.

The "Skyactiv" badge took the most time. Very stiff and highly glued on. Took about 1/2 hour to get this off. Then you're left with the glue tape which you have to painstakingly pick off with the help of a hairdryer. Then the residue removes with goof off...

I can do without the skyactive badge, but I like the CX-5 badge.

I assume that you intend to keep the car for a long time - otherwise it may affect the future buyer's decision when it comes to time to sell. The car looks fine either way.

I'm curious about the little mustache (hood guard?) on the hood - honestly I'm not a fan of such looks on SUVs in general. There are some exceptions when the hood guard matches the black plastic surrounding the grille in some cars (for example CR-V 2002-2006), but CX-5 is fully painted in the front and this doesn't seem to match well. Anyway, congrats on the nice car.

Nice ride, congrats.

IMO, not a fan of stick on hood guards and window visors, tends to partially defeat millions spent on aerodynamics.

The hood guard cannot possibly affect aerodynamics to any measurable degree. It is so low profile and "stuck" to the hood that it is literally part of the hood. I have mixed emotions about it but I actually don't like the front of the car to begin with. (Cheap plastic grill adds no "art" to the car). Plus my last car had several dings right above the grill where a bug guard would have been placed and protected it. The "bras" are ridiculous so this was my only option. But it slightly doesn't match the black plastic below it. They should have done something with fake chrome instead of of the black grill.

Yeh I can see leaving on the CX-5 badge, not for art's sake but for pride in the vehicle. But for me why keep "AWD" on the car? That's just Mazda saying "Yeh we make this in an AWD too". I get a kick out of people (who presumably are thinking what is this car?) who look at the car at a stoplight and wonder what the heck it is. SO the issue comes down to - do you like the artistic presentation of "CX-5"? I don't - it's just cheap plastic lettering...

did mine on a hot day - left the car in the sun - took some fishing line to the badging.
picked the adhesive off with my fingers
a little lighter fluid and a paper towel to take care of the residue.
all done in 5mins.

i can understand if it was cold that you might need a hairdryer.

looks great!

I assume that you intend to keep the car for a long time - otherwise it may affect the future buyer's decision when it comes to time to sell. The car looks fine either way.

I highly doubt anyone would notice. And if thats the only reason it would break the deal on buying the car, that person needs their head examined. LOL

I think it looks good. I've taken the decals off of most of my cars, and will probably do this as well. An added benefit is, when you wax it, you don't have to worry about waxy build up around the letters. And its less weight! LOL

I always thought that when I go to sell or trade the car that I simply would put the badges back on with some clear adhesive caulk...

Here's another funny thing - the other day I finally came upon another new CX-5 on the road. I live in a small town and though I imagine there's a handful of these cars out there I have not seen any yet. So I'm coming up from behind on the highway and not only is it a CX-5 but it's the same color as mine, silver. I have always felt funny when I come upon the exact car as the one I'm driving. It's like back in grade school when you realize that another kid has the exact same sneakers as you or the same backpack...

So without the badges I felt it wasn't the same car. I can only imagine that the person in the other car saw my car passing them and wondered, "That kind of looks like my car but I can't tell what it is"... I have to believe that a few people having seen my car on the road must be left scratching their heads as to what it is...

I'm debadging this weekend. I like the clean look. Last night I saw another black CX5 but he had plastidip'd the emblems black, so it was almost the same effect.

Anyone tried taking off the "M" on the front and on the trunk? I would like to repaint those in black chrome, but not sure if they will come off as easily as the badges.

Nice and simple personalization of your vehicle, I like the way it looks. Also like the car with the badges still on so will likely leave mine on when I get it. Did you consider a clear bra? Think I will be wrapping the front of mine.

Thumbs up grape guy. De -badged mine also...way cleaner look!

It took 2 hours with dental floss, a hair dryer, and a microfiber cloth. Also a lot of picking glue off with my finger. But it came out clean and shiny without any sign that they were there.

http://s1094.photobucket.com/albums/i457/thegrapeguy/CX5/?action=view&current=P1000684.jpg

I really like the look. Someone on this forum did the same thing and I liked it a lot...

Once onto my photo bucket page you can get into the CX-5 album to see more photos...

Be honest tell me what you think.

As soon as my new plates come I'll be done with the "look" of the back.

Also,in 2006 I had a new gen MX5 in rare dark green, when it first came out. I de badged 2 emblems on rear deck & people would stop and try to figure out what they were looking at! Getting some of that again with the '13 Mazda...
The hood deflector actually looks integrated on the pics,btw! Thx , I may get one for Violet.

I dunno, I like the CX-5 badge. The Skyactiv thing can go, but it's a marginal improvement. I think there are a number of misses that Mazda made in the exterior, but the badging isn't one of them. Still, it's more "personalized" without them I guess.

Back