Nav or not?

Gorge girl

:
Mazda Miata
I want a GT, but in my area none of them come with the tech package. Do those who have it like it? Do those who don't wish they did, or glad they saved the money?

Last edited:
I bought mine and installed it myself in my GT in five minutes. The advantage is it interupts the front speakers audio to make traffic announcements and you can make it as loud as you need - a protable unit is hard for me to hear over the audio. The screen is larger than most portable units and integrated units are less likely to be stolen in a break the window, snach and run. I have had a garmin unit for several years so the tomtom is a bit different but workable. I have an early unit and it works better after I did an application update. I like the digital speed display and it turns red when I am about 7 miles faster than the limit. The arrivial times seem more accurate but some of my old Garmin map areas are better than the newer TomTom...

I did not get it am on the fence to buy it. Installing it yourself looks to be a no brainier...but its $450. The gps on my andriod phone is great but it is annoying to have an extra device on the dash...but for $450 its hard to justify. Plus the screen isn't super huge or high resolution compared to other nav packages in the marketplace.

I would think you would have to decide if you want the other features of the tech package. From AUTOBLOG "A Technology Package, similar to the Touring model, also is available on the CX-5 Grand Touring. Priced at $1,325, options include an in-dash TomTom navigation system, bi-xenon auto-leveling headlights with a pivoting Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS), an auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink, an anti-theft alarm and Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry". I believe that rain-sensing and heated mirrors are included as well.

The headlights (auto leveling), advanced keyless entry, homelink are fast growing on me. Homelink eliminates the need for the garage door opener which I like. Advanced keyless entry is nice because you never have to take the key fob out of your pocket. You can lock and unlock the car and all its doors from any door. I don't know if the xenon headlights are part of the package but they are great at night. So clear and sharp. The lights following around curves are only a novelty to me, clever but not necessary. But Xenon is really nice. The theft alarm is not so important since I live in a low theft area. Rain sensing is not necessary for me. I turn the wipers on if I see it's raining...

In the beginning I wanted what you want which was a GT without tech. I figured I could add Nav for $500 later. But all in all I like all the stuff I got for $1325, especially the advanced keyless entry and of course NAV.

BUT these things are pretty small in the big picture. I stepped up to GT AWD because first I'm in a hilly snow belt, 2nd the GT offers something that I needed desperately. It's an 8-way adjustable seat which allows the seat to tilt back enough to take pressure off your lower back on long trips. The Touring only had a 6 way-adjustable seat and eliminated that one crucial adjustment. If the Touring had the 8-way seat I would have gotten that with Bose and added the 19" tires later and NAV later. That way I would have saved some money up front. But the 19" tires really make the car stand out and that is why I'm glad I got the GT.

I came off a pretty loaded Honda Odyssey and I sure miss the conveniences of opening the side and back doors with the push of a button. Not to mention the space and powerful engine... But the GT w/tech CX5, which I thought was a step down, has become really convenient with that advanced keyless entry and side monitoring. Plus the backup camera is better. And I know I'll use the AWD in the winter. Oh did I mention the 28.5 mpg I'm getting in suburban-type driving.

So I know I've left you still wondering but ask yourself if you would like those other features in the tech package. On the subject of NAV - I love it! I use it quite a bit. It's a destressor...

Last edited:
Where can you buy the nav unit? do you have to buy the card from Mazda? or can it be bought 3rd party? as well if I have the base package with teh touch screen will this still work on mine? or do you have to have a different system to put the nav on it?

Yes, on the US Mazda CX-5 website, they show Nav as "accessory" like other dealer-installed options including racks, cargo mats, etc .

I agree with thegrapeguy, the Technology Package on the GT is a good value for those that want what it includes. (Of course, main reason why it's affordable is because Mazda selected TomTom for nav.)

We have the tech package, but heated mirrors wasn't included. In addition, we have a keyless fob with push button start. However, it stupidly didn't include the advance key, with autounlock proximity features. As in, walk up to the car and have it unlock as you approach, etc. It is so silly to have remove the fob from your pocket to unlock the door, but not need it to start the car. It's counter intuitive.

But, the nav and other amenities are nice. Don't regret the tech package at all.

we have a sensor on the door you just press to lock/unlock in aus,no need to take the fob out

I wonder if a dealer can add the advanced keyless system...from looking at the schematics in the manual, the only difference is two antennae vs. one in the Touring, and the proximity sensors in the front doors and back door. Doesn't seem like much to be added; after all, a dealer can cut a hole in the roof and add the moonroof!

replaces the handles for the unlock button, plus it could require the computer being changed/reprogrammed

It still doesn't seem like a challenge for a dealership, considering all the other body/electronic after-factory work they are able to do that is much more complex.

(Of course, main reason why it's affordable is because Mazda selected TomTom for nav.)

A good decision. Get a world leader to do the naviation instead of doing it in-house. TomTom is one of the biggest and best from Europe.
It's always a wise idea to outsource certain parts to companies who manufacture the part as a core business.

Car manufacturers than make their GPS systems in-house end up with inferior results.

A good decision. Get a world leader to do the naviation instead of doing it in-house. TomTom is one of the biggest and best from Europe.
It's always a wise idea to outsource certain parts to companies who manufacture the part as a core business.

Car manufacturers than make their GPS systems in-house end up with inferior results.

Yes, good business practice when done right, as done in tech capital of world (Silicon Valley).

my vote is no on the nav, it was the thing i was least interested in as part of the tech package, by far the one real detriment to this vehicle and my only real complaint

not sure why mazda didn't go with garmin since they were already doing promotions together, would have been a far superior user experience than the dumbed down tomtom software (which has the distinct feel of something rushed to market to meet a deadline rather than a finished and well thought product)

Yes, good business practice when done right, as done in tech capital of world (Silicon Valley).

I am a very big fan of Silicon Valley developments. I work in IT, and keen on ensuring my personal work is up to scratch. I don't suffer poor development nor crappy software. Most of the stuff coming out of the Valley is top notch.

That said, American GPS units might be great in the US.... but there isn't a single US unit that works well in Australia.
It's the reason we have to turn to European units like TomTom.

As far as TomTom units go though, the Mazda incarnation is among their very worst and does not show off the brilliance of their other products.
It is light years ahead of the previous GPS units Mazda included.

But in my opinion I'll take it for four reasons:
1. I don't like portable units, because in Sydney... one is likely to smash a windscreen to remove the unit.
2. A GPS unit is essential in Sydney (particularly for my wife, who is from Japan and still can't figure Sydney out)
3. Input is easy, routing is excellent (agreed: voice control is bloody hopeless)

And lastly...
4. Because its standard equipment in Australia and I have no choice

TomTom support is very sub-standard (slow). But one thing they do very often is update software.
Expect that within the year, several of the issues Stromdriver is experiencing will be resolved.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back