Question about key fob (and surfing)

Jonesey

:
CX-5 6MT
I don't have a CX5 yet - still doing my due diligence - anyway, I have a question about what I would do with my key when I surf. Currently, I park my truck, take out my board, put on the wetsuit, seal my truck's key in my pocket on my boardshorts or wetsuit and head out into the ocean.

Its a key so it can get wet and still work fine but what about the CX5's key?

Can it get wet? It seems like it cannot....

Much obliged for any help!

Just get a normal key cut...

key%20gb.JPG

Don't think that would work as, AFAIK, you can only start the car using the push button start.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of... How the hell did that make sense to the design team.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of... How the hell did that make sense to the design team.

Get used to it, most cars in the future will do this as well. Its all about the cost savings. Cars are getting more high tech power trains which cost more money, in order to keep the costs at reasonable levels things need to go.

There is an RFID chip in the key fob that even if your battery dies you can still start your key. The key on the inside of the fob will just let you in the car if your battery dies, but not start it.

To answer the OP's question, take the key out of the fob and take that with you while locking the keyfob in the car.

So, there is no traditional "keyed" entry to the car?

Edit:

Oh I just saw your post nizzy - that would work.

Last edited:
So, there is no traditional "keyed" entry to the car?

Open up the keyfob, there is a key in it...and locks on the car doors.

Edit missed the part that you dont have the car yet. There is a key that easily slides out of the fob.

If I put the key fob in the hatch near the spare tire (far away from the ignition) will the car start?

Just trying to anticipate what would happen if someone broke in while I was in the water. I would like them to not be able to start the car :)

If I put the key fob in the hatch near the spare tire (far away from the ignition) will the car start?

Just trying to anticipate what would happen if someone broke in while I was in the water. I would like them to not be able to start the car :)

I havent tried it but I was just outside the passenger door with the key in my pocket and was out of range for the car. so the hatch might work.

Locking the key in the car will be useless.. Cant you push a button on the door and open the door..

Even if the driver is surfing... anyone can just open the car..

qKey Suspend Function
If a key is left in the vehicle, the functions of the key left in the vehicle are temporarily suspended to prevent theft of the vehicle.
The following are inoperable:
l Starting the engine using the push
button start.
l (With the advanced keyless function) Operating the request switches.

To restore these functions, perform any one of the following:
l Press a button on the key which has had its functions temporarily suspended.

Hid fob in car. Especially here:

NOTE
The engine may not start if the key is placed in the following areas:
l Around the dashboard
l In the storage compartments such as the
glove box
l On the rear parcel shelf
l In the luggage compartment

Then take the regular key with you.

The manual is a wonderful thing. Free to download from Mazda...

Wondering what to do with a key while surfing is such a nice 1st world problem. (whistle)

Locking the key in the car will be useless.. Cant you push a button on the door and open the door..

Even if the driver is surfing... anyone can just open the car..

No. Only the tech package has proximity locks on the car. All other models have to use the physical key or the key fob to unlock the car. Yes that means even though we have keyless start, we still need to press the unlock button on the fob to unlock the car.

Take the metal key out of the keyfob and secure it to you to get back in the car. Put the keyfob in a medal box and lock it in the car, the car will not "see" it inside a metal box that blocks radio waves. Use your metal key to get back in and take the keyfob out of the metal box and you are ready to start car. I also just copied the metal key and hid it in a magnetic box in case I ever lock myself out of the car with the keyfob in the car...

Take the metal key out of the keyfob and secure it to you to get back in the car. Put the keyfob in a medal box and lock it in the car, the car will not "see" it inside a metal box that blocks radio waves. Use your metal key to get back in and take the keyfob out of the metal box and you are ready to start car. I also just copied the metal key and hid it in a magnetic box in case I ever lock myself out of the car with the keyfob in the car...

Thanks for the help. Sounds good***

i'm a kitesurfer and i regularly stash my fob is in the back of the car (the little storage areas on either side of the spare) and the car wont start.
i just take the key with me and the fob goes back there.

worst is some vehicles keys are electronic - and you have to hide the key up under the bumper or something.

Back