Mazda Corral Belle Isle / Detroit

Perro del Sol

:
2003 MSP, Spicy Orange, 2004 Mazda 6 Hatch, 2004 Mazda 6 Wagon
Well weeks upon weeks of e mailing, phone calls bitching and moaning we have a corral package! It is not what I wanted and or discussed with us @ Daytona and I am a bit disappointed and I made my feeling known about how this played out. Here is the e mail I received and the response I sent today as well. So here we go guys and gals!

Hello Mr. Sumlin,
Steve Focazio has passed along your inquiry regarding a Mazda Car Corral at our upcoming event, Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle
Grand Prix on June 1-3. Unfortunately due to on island exclusivity due to our main sponsor, we are unable to provide an on island
Mazda Car Corral. However, we can put together an affordable and unique package for the Mazda group.

What we can offer is:
A dedicated corral in our West Jefferson parking lot, where your group can convene and tailgate.
Parking pass & shuttle wristbands (shuttle transportation to the island)
Reserved grandstand ticket & paddock pass
Cost: $75 for either Saturday, June 2 or Sunday, June 3
($25 Savings off retail price)

If you are interested in promoting this package, I can create a ticket offer and put it on our website for ordering convenience.
I will provide you a link to share and provide a graphic to promote it. Just let me know if you are interested.

my response:

Cory, thanks for getting back to me as my group of folks were really looking forward to this event. First off we’ll take the offer, as my folks are very interested in this event. Can you also add a 3 day package as well? We may have folks interested in that one as well. I appreciate you getting back to me. Please advise once you have the link up.

One question for you, why was the PCA club allowed on the Island? We typically have more cars than they do at our events? Also, just so you can see how good we are at promoting events if we have the pricing for the events well in advance, this is an e-mail from Mid-Ohio:

“Marlon, I forgot to give you an update this past Monday but here you go. You guys had a massive push just before the advance deadline and are up to 112 in advance. Another 6 have purchased since May 4th. Awesome job so far!”
Stephen

If you need anything from me or my team, please let us know.

Marlon
Mazda Owners Corral Operations

P.S. Here are a couple of video links for last year’s Mid-Ohio event as well, see attachment.

Again, I did not understand them allowing PCA club to have access to the "Island" and not Mazda, as we always oput draw them at our events. We'll make a positve out this and have one hell of a tailgate part. We'll show the "wine and cheese" crowd how a "real corral" is run! Beer, wings, music, etc. As soon as the link is posted, I willput it up or you can call Belle Isle and order tickets, here is the number 866-464-PRIX (7749).

I hope to see as may of you as possible that can make it. We'll make the most of it, as Saturdaywill be our day, we are going to represent Mazda to the fullest and again make the most of this event. Sorry guys, we got the ol bait and switch from the people in Detroit!

Last edited:
wow, thanks for the work marlon, i as well am pretty disappointed in the "offer" belle isle gave us... almost to the point i say we all boycott it

You are the 2nd person who suggested that, Tom Cabral was the other, we'll see how it goes, response wise. We are kickin ass with Mid-Ohio, outselling everyone!

i guess now it will depend on who is going...

$75 for one day seems like a bunch... plus, now i might have other plans, so this is probably too little too late for me.

You are the 2nd person who suggested that, Tom Cabral was the other, we'll see how it goes, response wise. We are kickin ass with Mid-Ohio, outselling everyone!

for real, if Tom and i agree... its the truth :p

why support a race/event when they dont really want us there...

i guess now it will depend on who is going...

$75 for one day seems like a bunch... plus, now i might have other plans, so this is probably too little too late for me.

im not even that shocked with the price, i expected it to be pretty high... but giving us the half assed offer of what is essentially "general parking" and having to take the shuttle with no ability to all park together is bogus. not offering us a multi day pass is bogus
its genuinely like a slap in the face to us, we have been the class of corrals at just about every race we have ever had a corral at

Last edited:
Here is my thoughts on this, I am pissed off, as we always go above and beyond for this events. I am not even talking about myself and others, but the people that come out every year and volunteer with parking, hospitality and so on. I would call and let your voices be heard!

Truth!

Marlon, this does not reflect your hard work and efforts over the years to foster the growth of Mazda participation with Grand-Am corrals. Of course, Belle Isle is new to this scene so they don't fully understand everything either--so I'm not 100% blaming them. But on Saturday when the infield is half empty and they wonder where all the Porsches and Chevy's are... they'll know they supported the wrong clubs.

I agree with a boycott of this race. No Mazdas unless the track shows support.

I wish I could help more with this sort of stuff, so let me know if there is anything I can do from HQ while you guys are out! ;)

[
I found his email publicly, so let's let it be known that Mazda got shafted...

Last edited by a moderator:
Chippy,
I completely understand having the chevy's in the infield since it is the Chevrolet Grand Prix at Belle Isle/Detroit (or whatever the specific/proper name is) but if you are including Porsche then why is Mazda getting left out?

on another note,
reading the links on the front page, we are better off going to the race if we are PNC bank customers than through our "offer" for a corral
http://www.detroitgp.com/news/index.cfm?cid=52932

**granted thats only for Detroit area PNC banks but still...

looking at the website a bit more, im a bit more pissed at their offer for tickets, we can get a 3 day super pass with preferred grandstand reserved seats, 3 day paddock passes all for 155, or a 2 day general admission and paddock pass for 85 bucks

http://www.detroitgp.com/tickets/

Last edited:
Hello Mr. Davala,

I am a member of a group of volunteers that helps organize and run the Mazda car corrals at Grand-Am events across the US. I just received word of the offer given to us at Detroit Belle Isle. I do appreciate the fact that you were able to put together a package for us with reduced pricing and a few bonus features. However, I am shocked to find that groups that contain historically smaller turnouts than ours have received a better package, including infield parking. Being a volunteer on the outside, I do not understand the full workings of parking at Belle Isle. However, I feel the largest turnouts should receive the optimum deals. Last year at MidOhio we had over 100 cars (not tickets--cars) and worked to raise money for the Make-A-Wish foundation. VIR last year was a huge success, raising over $2,000 for the Semper Fi Fund. This year for MidOhio we have already sold over 100 tickets!

Belle Isle is also very close to our "home base" in NE Ohio, which means we would truly have a great turnout. Many of us from Ohio looked forward to the caravan trip to the island. Unfortunately for me, without a three-day package I cannot justify making the trip. I think many others feel the same way, losing out on ticket sales and $$$ spent.

Thank you for your time and good luck with the event. I look forward to seeing the track from the comfort of my home.

--
~James Iorfida~
james.iorfida@gmail.com
(330) 441-1952

im not even going to bother contacting them... its not worth it IMO

i dont feel we were going to have a large enough turnout to raise hell, it was def. not going to be anything like Mid-O...
yeah we raise hell now and get a better offer then only get 10-15 cars and that will look alot worse on us than kindly telling them we will pass on their offer

True, but they don't know what our turnout would have been like. Maybe if 50 people contact them, it looks like they made a mistake? I wasn't really even planning on making this one at all, but they don't know that? ;)

As you all know it's our purpose to get Mazda owners to come out and support "our teams"! For the most post I don't care about the tracksm with a few exceptions, Mid-Ohio, VIR and the like, they get us and they go out of their way for us, as Mazda owners always "bring it"! On the one hand, I want us out en masse to support he teams, but I can't see us giving anything to the track and their vendors. So we'll see how it plays out, as Lauri and I will be there and we may have to have a face to face.

So hopefully we can have an even larger turnout for Mid-Ohio and other events we are holding in June! I am going to see if Mid-Ohio will work with us to help out the folks that were left out.

Well that's too bad, looks like it's general admission for me...maybe walk around for a few hours and go back home!

My wife stated that we should make it an unofficial corral and make arrangements with the teams to hold paddock tours etc. Have our own gathering at a designated spot, not support the venodrs, etc. bring our own food and drink and make it a Mazda Meet? Thought ideas, etc. Just purchase Gen Admisison and paddock pass and go forward

Yes, i feel like we definately got shunned : (

like marlon says, i'd still like to check out the venue and support the teams, but i'd rather not give them the satisfaction to make them think they are helping us out by giving us a corral out in the boony parking lot. (i'm having flashbacks to mid-ohio a FEW years ago, before they got with the program, when they forgot about us. we had to set up our own impromptu corral out in general parking, although we had fun, i can't help but think that people were wondering when they all walked by "why is there a mazda corral out in the middle of general parking?" ... like we aren't good enough for the infield?

sooooooooooo my suggestion is to buy a general admission ticket which looks to be a better deal, and like marlon mentioned, we will all meet up, do meet and greets, paddock tours, etc and just hang out and have a good time!! there's got to be general viewing without having to have a grandstand seat ... so we could all sit together and chill. i'll have to read the rules and regulations ... i don't know the lay of the land so this will be the test recon for the future.

well... i got other things going on now since this isnt a good deal and not many are going.

too bad mid ohio is at a bad time for me. maybe next year i will just plan to go there... where the party is at apparently.

This is a e mail I got yesterday!

I was told that Porsche is not viewed as a direct competitor to Chevrolet, where Mazda is. I will get the link up and online offer to you on Wednesday, asap.

Well, I am all up for having a corral to show up Government Motors, after my tax dollars help bail their asses out! I would love to have a 100+ Mazda cars in "our corral" flying the big ass Mazda Flag so they all can see and have the damn thing in the grandstands as well. I sent this information to my Mazdaspeed and grand-Am Marketing Folks!

Well ain't this some BS...........I guess GM feels the Corvette isn't up to Porsche standards. I am game for general admission/paddock passes! My kids are free for GA and only $15 each for the paddocks.

Oh and just so you know. The West Jefferson lots are near Joe Louis Arena about 5 miles away from the Island.

Last edited:
Well ain't this some BS...........I guess GM feels the Corvette isn't up to Porsche standards. I am game for general admission/paddock passes! My kids are free for GA and only $15 each for the paddocks.

Oh and just so you know. The West Jefferson lots are near Joe Louis Arena about 5 miles away from the Island.

Thanks for the heads up!

I am not sure where the crew parking is going to be ,but I can try to get parking passes from Grand-Am. the West Jefferson Parkng is by the Joe Louis arena....

Back