2003 Protege5 vs. 2002 Protege5: what's better, what's different?

JJ_J

Hey guys, trying to find exactly the Protege5 that I want, I'm curious what the differences and what's better between the 2003 and 2003? Different wheel sizes, etc.

There relatively both the same just pick the one with the lowest Milage and the most options .Find with Black leather interior and a Sun roof oh and most Importantly find one that is a Turbo =-)

There's '02, '02.5, '03, and '03.5 models. Different wheel design and options starting from '02.5; tweeters in the doors; side blinkers; cup holders are different; spare tire subwoofer; different colors; anti-lock brakes; and side air bags.

There's '02, '02.5, '03, and '03.5 models. Different wheel design and options starting from '02.5; tweeters in the doors; side blinkers; cup holders are different; spare tire subwoofer; different colors; anti-lock brakes; and side air bags.
Whaaaat? A spare tire subwoofer from the factory?!

I want to add more bass to the stereo but will loose valuable trunk space so I haven't.
More details please!

I have the stock harness and plastic covers as they came with my 2003 P5. They are needed to accommodate the subwoofer. I am looking for one at the moment also.

Here are the differences:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ard-Protege5&p=5951748&viewfull=1#post5951748

attachment.php

Last edited:
Damn, sounds like the '03.5 would have been real nice to have. I only have an '03, so it doesnt come with the subwoofer or the side air bags. I don't even think it has ABS.

The subwoofer, ABS, and side airbags were options I believe...not standard.

Damn, sounds like the '03.5 would have been real nice to have. I only have an '03, so it doesnt come with the subwoofer or the side air bags. I don't even think it has ABS.

Yea I know. Mine has no side airbags, had the subwoofer system installed but no roof racks. I know of a 2003 in the junk yard close to my work that has side airbags built in to the seats, roof rack which is broken, has abs but had no subwoofer system installed. The front end has been taken apart and sold but the engine is still there with all the trans and stuff. Engine mounts were filled in so the guy that owned it before knew a thing or two about our mounts LOL.

Probably meant one that has had an aftermarket turbo installed.

I should really check out a local junk yard to see if at least the trunk tray organizer is in a P5. Out of everything that my car is missing, that is the one thing I would really like to have. ABS would be nice as well, but I have no clue what I would really need to remove from the car or even if mine would allow for it.

ABS is a good but honestly I rather do without it. My P5 doesn't come with it which I liked. I look at it just one less part to go wrong but it is a good safety feature to have. GL finding the tray. It was an option for the P5 so hopefully the ones in junkyards have it and the harness as well. You may even find the sub but given that all junkyards remove a lot of items before they place them in the yard may not yield a lucky find.

The biggest difference and one of the reasons I went with the 03 is that if you are getting an auto the 02' has a big ugly shifter with push button then slide straight back style. The 2003 has the tiptronic shifter which I thik is just more pleasant. If you're going manual then this would be of no difference to you.

15568855_large.jpg

2089804908_f480f9f451.jpg

The biggest difference and one of the reasons I went with the 03 is that if you are getting an auto the 02' has a big ugly shifter with push button then slide straight back style. The 2003 has the tiptronic shifter which I thik is just more pleasant. If you're going manual then this would be of no difference to you.

15568855_large.jpg

2089804908_f480f9f451.jpg

Are the actual transmissions different or just the shifters?

Also, may have the years mixed up but somewhere in 2002 the manuals got better synchros and in 2003 they got the better synchros and better shift forks.

Back