Say Hi to the forum, Our Zeal Red Touring and little buying story

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring Zeal Red/Moonroof pkg
Hi all, here is our Zeal Red Touring with Moonroof Package. It is my wife's car and we originally was planning to get a forester which ended up with this for much better handling, gas mileage and interior. Power was a concern at the begining, but for 26 mpg, I told my wife to just floor the pedal if she needs it. In fact,0-60 9.8sec performance is not too bad, which my subaru(non turbo) only hit 9.2sec in 0-60.

I have been diving aroundn the forum for a couple months, and have been getting info from some other users, i would like to express my own experience regarding a couple issue that some others might concern about:

1. The tire pressure must be adjusted/corrected per decal on door side after purchase as they did fill them up to 45 psi(eyeballs)
2. The side mirror does not vibrate on my car at 80 mph
3. The hood vibrates a tiny little bit while driving at 80 mph, doesn't happen at 70 mph
4. Haven't experience any noise rattle from under planel

My Caring
I feel the paint on this car is a little bit cheap compare to my cheap old subaru, so here is how I would taking care of the Car
1. Wash Every Two weeks or at least once/month, appear detailer(Optimum Instant Detailer) after dry
2. Wax/sealant once per quarter year (3M Wax or Black Diamond Wet)
3. Wipe the soft interior material with clean soft cloth, rinse with cold water.
4. Wipe the dust off the piano black trim with dry clean soft cloth
5. Use 303 Aerospace protectant on plastic exterior trim pieces
6. Vaccum of course
7. try to protect the painted surface on the door frame(right outside your seat), I accidently hit it with my shoe when came out of the car, the red paint is gone.....
8. don't let others sit in the car also, LOL

Modification or plan to:
1. LED license plate
2. White DRL
3. May be 4300k/5000k HID, yellow fog light
4. I am kind of an OEM person, I just hope that someone will make the metal trim around the foglight just like the Minagi Concept.
5. Hope to paint all exterior plastic trim to piano glossy black just the Minagi Concept also.
6. Black glossy roof, unless you want to pay to paint the roof, otherwise, this is not very feasible since the vinyl doesn't work very well(read from Lexus forum)
7. Bigger Black Wheels.
8. Metal OEM roof rack

Pricing
I paid 330 below msrp which is kind of high, but we needed the car at that moment and it was the only car out there.
Depends on the color and availability, you can try invoice, I got one quote for Red/Sand Touring at 100 below invoice and a couple other dealer willing to do 200 above invoice here in socal, hope this help you guys saving some money. If you like the stomry Blue, you can go for further lower since my dealer had a hard time selling this since noone like stormy blue/sand, I will buy it if it is storm blue/black

Will update more in other section of the forum in the future, see you guys around.

facebook_1865897823jpg.jpg

IMG-20120505-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
very nice ride!

just one comment - i had a 2008 Subaru WRX for almost 4 years and the paint on that car was the cheapest i've ever seen.
the clearcoat was almost shot when i returned it (very noticeable as it was black).

i find the fit and finish of my CX5 to be superior.

that being said Subaru might have stepped up their game in the years since.

that WRX was one hell of a car tho...
especially when it snowed...

Congrats on the new CX-5, the color looks great in that 2nd picture.

Good idea about "metal trim around the foglight just like the Minagi Concept", I'd like to see chrome bezels on foglights like a Mercedes.

Just filled the first tank, 29 mpg with highway and city, plus some on/off engine for studying the audio/features.

I am flabbergasted that someone will just sit on someone else's car in the parking lot. What a lack of respect for other people's property. My wife walked back to her car and there were two guys standing next to it talking, and one of them was leaning up against the side mirror. When my wife came up to them, they looked annoyed that she made them move so that she could get into the car.

in the past, I've used Optimum Spray Wax as I'm drying the car for interim protection and shine. You might try this instead of the OID.

Congrats on your new ride.

Last edited:
In fact,0-60 9.8sec performance is not too bad, which my subaru(non turbo) only hit 9.2sec in 0-60.

exactly!!!!

It isn't a rocket ship but it isn't a snail either. It always drives me crazy when they refer to cars that are in the 7 second range as 'slow' too. For crying out loud we drive these cars on public roads, not test tracks. I'm averaging 31.5 mpg and I still end up car lengths ahead of most other cars when leaving stoplights and I'm not trying to race them.

Yes, the handling could take a lot more power but why knock the car just because they made it handle so good? If it had sloppy handling would they not comment on the 0-60 time?

To me 0-60 times are like processor speeds on computers or megapixel ratings on cameras. They are a somewhat irrelevant number that many people love to use to place a value on a product.
A super fast processor doesn't guarantee an overall fast or enjoyable computer and a high megapixel number does not mean you get sharper looking pictures. Just as a great 0-60 time does not mean you would actually want to own the car or enjoy driving it.

A little piece of me dies every time Top Gear UK does a drag race to decide which car is best. If you are shopping for a drag racer then, yes that is the test to use. Otherwise it is just stupid.

Last edited:
I agree. I do find the sensation of major downshifts/upshifts a bit unnerving though when I accelerate hard. Freaks me out a bit but I'm getting used to it. I've noticed it's much better in manual mode where I have more control

exactly!!!!

It isn't a rocket ship but it isn't a snail either. It always drives me crazy when they refer to cars that are in the 7 second range as 'slow' too. For crying out loud we drive these cars on public roads, not test tracks. I'm averaging 31.5 mpg and I still end up car lengths ahead of most other cars when leaving stoplights and I'm not trying to race them.

Yes, the handling could take a lot more power but why knock the car just because they made it handle so good? If it had sloppy handling would they not comment on the 0-60 time?

To me 0-60 times are like processor speeds on computers or megapixel ratings on cameras. They are a somewhat irrelevant number that many people love to use to place a value on a product.
A super fast processor doesn't guarantee an overall fast or enjoyable computer and a high megapixel number does not mean you get sharper looking pictures. Just as a great 0-60 time does not mean you would actually want to own the car or enjoy driving it.
Well said!

Back