(2010) It's a shame the lights dont automatically go on in the dark

LordJezo

So is someone going to post me a link to a secret code to get the lights to auto switch on in the dark?

Having to turn the dial to on every day just to even get day time running lamps is something cars did away with a decade ago. I thought day time running lamps were standard in everything for quite some time now. Needing to turn it two clicks to get full night driving lights is pretty retro of them.

The auto headlights should be selected on your turn signal stalk. All you should need to do is select auto. That is how they work on my 08GT. I know that the 08s do not have DRL in the states, but they were available in other markets like Canada.

It may be different for other years \ trim levels and i am just not aware of it. I cannot rule that possibility out.

I know the GT has Auto Lights, but not sure of other trim levels.

Is this what our society has become? That people can't put in the effort to actually turn on their headlights????

For sure, GT has the auto-headlights. Not sure about the Touring and Sports.
I have auto-headlights, but I don't use it.

DRL is not normal headlights.
It is usually the far light at 1/3 brightness.

Drl's are the worste invention ever along with auto lights. People are too lazy to turn a switch. People with auto lights are a safety hazzard on rainy days that are not dark enough to turn on the lights and they can't be bothered to turn on their lights because they never even cracked the user manual and learned how.
People with drl think there lights are on fully but don't realize their tail lights are not on.
I for one am extremely happy I don't have either. My last car I disabled both auto lights and drl.

To me as well, DRLs and auto-headlights are features that I don't care for.
However, I won't go as far as calling them "worse inventions".
They exist to assist inattentive drivers.

Inattentive drivers, as in those driving around at dusk, or in the dark, without any headlights on?

My opinion...

Drl's are the worste invention ever along with auto lights. People are too lazy to turn a switch. People with auto lights are a safety hazzard on rainy days that are not dark enough to turn on the lights and they can't be bothered to turn on their lights because they never even cracked the user manual and learned how.
People with drl think there lights are on fully but don't realize their tail lights are not on.
I for one am extremely happy I don't have either. My last car I disabled both auto lights and drl.

Frankly, more of the problem is the easily readable backlit IP guages. People see their dash lit, and they forget that their headlights aren't on. I can't believe that people with DRLs think their headlights are on. I've had 2 cars with DRLs--if you drive down a dark road with only DRLs, it looks like you have no lights on at all. I tend to agree that people with Auto headlights get lulled into thinking that they don't ever need to touch the switch--pouring down rain, snow, fog; and especially when it starts to get dark. Between Auto lights and backlit IP, I see someone driving around as it just gets dark with no headlights every day. Flashing lights at them only wakes them up about 1/3 of the time.

Bottom line--it's the cluelessness of the driver, not the technology...

AND--if you know about this problem, I can't understand why you would disable the feature?

No auto for me on my Touring model.

F9q7o.jpg

I guess Mazda wants only the upper class who buys the Grand Touring to be able to relax and not turn on their lights. Those of us who have the poor man's model need to turn on our own lights. Separating the haves and have nots.

Besides all that.. DRL are one thing but not having an auto light sensor in this newer car just seems like an oversight considering ten year old Chevy's and Fords came standard with it.

Back to your original question.
No such hidden sing-n-dance exists to turn it on.
The circuits are different between the one with auto-headlight and the one w/o.

No auto for me on my Touring model.

F9q7o.jpg

I guess Mazda wants only the upper class who buys the Grand Touring to be able to relax and not turn on their lights. Those of us who have the poor man's model need to turn on our own lights. Separating the haves and have nots.

Besides all that.. DRL are one thing but not having an auto light sensor in this newer car just seems like an oversight considering ten year old Chevy's and Fords came standard with it.

I had a 2010 mazda3 and it HAD DRLs...the headlight stalk was the same as the one pictured as well. However, I know when to turn my headlights on, and know not to use DRL's as headlights.
I'm on the east side of Canada though, so drls are sort of automatic here...like snow....and rust...

I am surprised that the touring models do not come with that option. My $16k 2007 hhr has auto lights and my 04 vibe had them too. Those are both entry level vehicles in gm's lineup. You'd think that every Mazda would have them let alone their flagship cuv model in any trim level.

My 03 Nissan Altima and 2002 and 2008 GMC Yukons all had auto-on headlights. Mazda seem to save a buck in the wrong areas. IMO

FWIW, the auto headlights on my 08 GT are a PITA. They go on at around 4PM in a shadow and kill my gauge cluster illumination. Horribly over-sensitive factory config. Apparently I can pay $$ at the dealer for a 5 minute reprogramming. Way to build loyalty Mazda.

FWIW, the auto headlights on my 08 GT are a PITA. They go on at around 4PM in a shadow and kill my gauge cluster illumination. Horribly over-sensitive factory config. Apparently I can pay $$ at the dealer for a 5 minute reprogramming. Way to build loyalty Mazda.

So in your opinion what is more of a PITA, manually turning on the headlight at dusk, or pressing the dashboard illumination switch to brighten the gauges?

I'll push the dash illum button anyday, versus remembering to turn the headlights on, then off. My opinion...

Rather just have Mazda set it up the way all other car companies seems to be able to and how about not charging their owners for a reconfig to the way it should have been.

Back