Problems with Blind Spot Monitoring

deema

:
Zeal Red 2013 CX-5 GT + Tech Package
All, just want to give you a heads up. I don't know how widespread this issue is, but there appears to be a problem with some of the BSM units. I just bought a CX-5 GT with the Tech Package and noticed during the test drive that the BSM light was blinking on the display and the BSM indicator was permanently lit in the right-hand mirror. When I stopped and re-started the engine, this behavior stopped, and BSM performed normally thereafter.

The dealer told me that this was an issue with some of the cars, and that Mazda already had a solution in the works. They made me wait a day to pick up the car while they replaced the BSM unit, and I haven't had any issues with it so far. But be aware - test the BSM system properly and if it gets "stuck", have them replace the module.

Fortunately a warning light was designed to warn if it malfunctions.

My BSM works fine so far.

3500km and it has performed flawlessly and consistently. Also the lane departure warning system is pinpoint accurate (some early write ups said it worked sometimes).

But thank you for the heads up.

I've noticed that my BSM lights will "stick" on after being activated (car passing) when I have my hitch mount bike rack on. If I disable the system and turn it back on, the lights are out again. I will be keeping a close eye on the system to make sure that it never happens without the bike rack on.

In a german CX-5 forum was a discussion about the BSM sometimes not working properly, too. It switched itself off sometimes and the driver had to switch it on again, so you couldn't be sure if it was working or not. The Mazda dealer told them that Mazda is aware of that problem which will be solved with a software update.

In the german forum a user wrote that his BSM works just fine since the software update was installed 1 1/2 weeks ago. So hopefully Mazda solved this problem.

Does anyone know how to determine which software is installed?

Also the lane departure warning system is pinpoint accurate (some early write ups said it worked sometimes).

I don't think this feature is available in the US...although it wouldn't surprise me given the condition of many roads over here.

I noticed last nite that the BSM light lit up while driving along next to a barrier. Needless to say I managed not to hit the barrier. (whistle)

Does anyone know how to determine which software is installed?
I asked for a version number of the update/software in the german forum but they couldn't tell. They took the car to the dealership, the software was updated and the BSM worked just fine afterwards.
I don't think that the BSM is different in other countries so people could just ask for that update referring to there is such an update offered in Germany. I assume the update will be factory installed from now on so only owners of the earlier shipped CX-5 have to deal with that issue.

I've taken in my 2015 CX-10 3 times for the BSM not working. The first time, the service people stated, "The BSM was off, but there wasn't any notice of it being off." The 2nd time, I thought I was just being stupid and had accidently turned it off. Again, they showed me the button. During the last 3 weeks, it has stopped working all together for backing up and works on the side. I took it in on Wednesday, and the service manager told me since my bumper had been bumped, the BSM was damaged and not covered by warranty. He stated he had had 35 cars in and not once had Mazda honored the warranty because even if a shopping cart bumps the bumper it destroys the BSM. I've paid for the feature and now know it's way too touchy and shouldn't have ever been installed. This is my 2nd Mazda because I had a CX-7 Turbo and Mazda told me to trade at 100,000 due to the timing chain and turbo, now this! Probably is my last Mazda I'm so perturbed!

Last edited:
I've taken in my 2015 CX-10 3 times for the BSM not working. The first time, the service people stated, "The BSM was off, but there wasn't any notice of it being off." The 2nd time, I thought I was just being stupid and had accidently turned it off. Again, they showed me the button. During the last 3 weeks, it has stopped working all together for backing up and works on the side. I took it in on Wednesday, and the service manager told me since my bumper had been bumped, the BSM was damaged and not covered by warranty. He stated he had had 35 cars in and not once had Mazda honored the warranty because even if a shopping cart bumps the bumper it destroys the BSM. I've paid for the feature and now know it's way too touchy and shouldn't have ever been installed. This is my 2nd Mazda because I had a CX-7 Turbo and Mazda told me to trade at 100,000 due to the timing chain and turbo, now this! Probably is my last Mazda I'm so perturbed!

Mazda told you to trade in your CX-7? (boom05) Perhaps maybe you mean a salesman at the dealer?

If your bumper was hit you might want to file a claim with your insurance company so they can get you fixed up. The BSM will also be covered under the insurance claim.

Nice first post. Will you post a photo of your CX-5?

No problems here with my BSM, and in fact I've noticed it has less false positives than the system on my former 2010 Mazda6. The one on the 6 used to always flash when passing a barrier on my exit home from work, but the CX-5's does not.

Probably depends on the type of material that triggers the BSM. Metal, as in a vehicle vs a soft barrier. Ed

I have a 2015 CX-5 GT, and I do have sporadic issues with the BSM. Sometimes, I'll signal, the BSM will trigger, I'll look for a car in the blind spot, and nothing. Sometimes it will not trigger, I'll look, and there's a car there. :-/

I have a 2015 CX-5 GT, and I do have sporadic issues with the BSM. Sometimes, I'll signal, the BSM will trigger, I'll look for a car in the blind spot, and nothing. Sometimes it will not trigger, I'll look, and there's a car there. :-/

Thank you for continuing to look. I mean that. My concern is that many will get complacent and blindly rely on the technology.

+1
always shoulder check
practice whenever passing a good looking girl, car, etc ;)

Back