CX-5 vs Tiguan and Pricing, Canada

sc84

Hello all, I'm relatively new to buying vehicles and just wanted a second opinion on some quotes.

My lease is up on my VW 08 City Golf and I'm looking at either a 2012 Tiguan or 2013 Mazda CX-5.

The quotes they gave me were as follows:

2012 Tiguan, 2.0 TSI Comfortline, 6sp auto w/ 4MOTION
MSRP 34,775
+Tech Package 2,300
+Sport Package 1,700
+Connectivity Package 675
Total 39,450 + taxes and fees (CAD)

2013 Mazda CX-5, 2.0L I4 6sp auto AWD w/ Skyactiv
GT, Technology Package
MSRP 33,890 (CAD)

Was just wondering what you guys think about the differences between these two crossovers.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I considered the Tiguan as well before making my decision to get my CX-5 GT with Tech. It was really close. They both handle really well but I just think the CX5 offers better bang for the buck, better fuel economy, slightly larger, and looks better IMO. In the end, the CX5 suits my needs better.

I have a Tiguan (2.0l, 168 hp diesel, 4 Motion)
I have been more unlucky than the majority of Tiguan owners, but nevertheless, there are quite a few people who have had similar problems, so they are not 'one offs'. I won't mention other forums, but I am sure a search will point you to problem pages. Anyway, this is what has happened to me. I bought it from new and it is now just over 3 and a half years old with only 22000 miles. The list is not in chronological order.
1. Automatic brake stuck on in a heavy traffic (two lane) when I was taking the car back for the problem of it not releasing. Some sensor/switch 'under' clutch pedal was the fault.
2. Fuel flap needed something new as it kept flicking open when driving. New mechanism needed.
3. Handles on some doors stuck open. Needed attention.
4. CD swallowed (when only 3 weeks old and also display went dim).
5. Boot catch made it difficult to open - needed adjusting.
6. One alloy needed changing. But to be fair, I've needed that done on my Mazda 3.
7. A silver heat protector in the engine wasn't clipped in position - noticed after I got the car home on the first day - mended it myself as it was also pushed to the wrong position
8. Now out of warranty - warning light came on, then another comes on flashing, flashing and chiming. One of these problems was the manifold flap motor failed (300, but VW paid half as just out of warranty. Apparently, VW often pay half.
9. Something else I can't remember for now.
The CX5 on order is of course a new design so there are likely to be some teething problems but I hope not that many.

Positives: Well built, solid interior -smart but simple. Handles well. Back seat moves to increase/decrease rear legroom or boot/trunk space. Nice touch screen infotainment. Did well in snowy conditions. Held it's value exceedingly well. It's one of the lowest depreciators in the UK. VW dealer has been excellent and helpful. VW brand name is synonymous with quality over here.

Last edited:
Depends on location as to which may be cheaper to repair.

In the UK for example, VW is so close and common it surely decreases repair costs. My best mate is English, and an ex-VW owner. He begs to differ stating they are expensive to repair. But I think VW has improved. VW quality related faults have decreased, at least according to Australian insurance figures.

In Australia, Japanese brands are certainly the way to go. Japan and Korea are the closest major car manufacturing countries, and as such order parts (even from Asia) take nearly no time at all.

The US is a little more difficult. The west coast is closer to Japan, the east coast is closer to Germany. But really don't think this makes a difference with both countries being so far away.

As far as models go, Mazda's reliability is considered to be excellent already. Can't speak for VW.

Well Tiguan is a Volkswagen. That's bad.

I considered a Golf but it's hard to get over the reliability reports. And then I actually went to a Volkswagen dealer to try and look at one, anyway. Worst experience of my car shopping experience. The dealer decided he wasn't interested in showing me used Golfs and would rather show me THE NEW JETTA!!!. He literally would not stop showing me the car until I walked away from him.

I have a Tiguan (2.0l, 168 hp diesel, 4 Motion)
I have been more unlucky than the majority of Tiguan owners, but nevertheless, there are quite a few people who have had similar problems, so they are not 'one offs'. I won't mention other forums, but I am sure a search will point you to problem pages. Anyway, this is what has happened to me. I bought it from new and it is now just over 3 and a half years old with only 22000 miles. The list is not in chronological order.
1. Automatic brake stuck on in a heavy traffic (two lane) when I was taking the car back for the problem of it not releasing. Some sensor/switch 'under' clutch pedal was the fault.
2. Fuel flap needed something new as it kept flicking open when driving. New mechanism needed.
3. Handles on some doors stuck open. Needed attention.
4. CD swallowed (when only 3 weeks old and also display went dim).
5. Boot catch made it difficult to open - needed adjusting.
6. One alloy needed changing. But to be fair, I've needed that done on my Mazda 3.
7. A silver heat protector in the engine wasn't clipped in position - noticed after I got the car home on the first day - mended it myself as it was also pushed to the wrong position
8. Now out of warranty - warning light came on, then another comes on flashing, flashing and chiming. One of these problems was the manifold flap motor failed (300, but VW paid half as just out of warranty. Apparently, VW often pay half.
9. Something else I can't remember for now.
The CX5 on order is of course a new design so there are likely to be some teething problems but I hope not that many.

Positives: Well built, solid interior -smart but simple. Handles well. Back seat moves to increase/decrease rear legroom or boot/trunk space. Nice touch screen infotainment. Did well in snowy conditions. Held it's value exceedingly well. It's one of the lowest depreciators in the UK. VW dealer has been excellent and helpful. VW brand name is synonymous with quality over here.

Just to amend number 9. It was an exhaust sensor - not the same as the other exhaust sensor that broke a year later. To be fair to VW, my father had a golf many tears ago that lasted and lasted.

Back