Key Fob Battery.

dbmil

:
Mazda CX-5 GT Diesel Tech Pack
What happens when the battery in the key fob runs flat? I know we can use the key to enter the car but how would we start it? I asked the salesman and he had NFI.

Don't know if simialr, but on my Mazda 3 (push start), on the steering column there is a little panel which exposes the slot for the key.

There is no key slot on the CX-5. If the fob battery is dead: Hold the fob againt the dash, just above the Start/Stop button, and then start the car as you normally would.

I think it's somewhere in the manual. The dealer told me verbally and I later confirmed it by popping out the fob battery and trying it myself.

Great, thanks for the info. I did have a look in the manual, but couldn't find anything. I guess I must look harder.

Edit: How did you mange to get the battery out? Is it a slide or pry open? I tried tentatively. but didn't want to force it and break a 2 day old fob. BTW was quoted $500 AUD for a replacement.

Edit no.2. In regards to starting the car, its on page 4-6 of the manual. I need to learn to RTM.

Last edited:
What happens when the battery in the key fob runs flat? I know we can use the key to enter the car but how would we start it? I asked the salesman and he had NFI.

There is a RFID in the end of your key fob. The system can use this when the battery is dead in the fob. Actually use the end of your key fob to press the start/stop button in. RFID is very short range (maybe 1 CM) so you need to press the button with it. Try removing your battery and do it before you are stranded some day and have no clue how to do it.

Edit: How did you mange to get the battery out? Is it a slide or pry open? I tried tentatively. but didn't want to force it and break a 2 day old fob.

It is also in the Manual. You would remove the key and use a slotted screwdriver with tape on it to pry up on the inside edge which will snap that side up. You can use that gap to run your tapped slotted screw driver along the gap to snap open the rest. Once open there is a round battery door you can pop open with the same slotted screwdriver. The battery compartment has a rubber ring in it to help seal the battery compartment from dust and moisture. When you put it back together make sure you put the rubber ring in and pushed down all the way and then place the circle cover back on. It is be a tight fit and air pressure might make it pop up. Once the fob back is on it wont do this and will keep the door pressed down. When you put the fob cover back on, make sure to latch the top first then go down the right or left side, then the other side and it will all snap into place. there should be a clean line all the way around.

KeyFob-1.jpg
KeyFob-2.jpg
KeyFob-3.jpg
KeyFob-4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Caspan, very useful info. Although that "inside edge" looks like it could snap very easily if too much force is applied.

Thanks Caspan, very useful info. Although that "inside edge" looks like it could snap very easily if too much force is applied.

To be honest it is built very strong. With anything use caution but the manual shows you how to open the case exactly like I mentioned above (I didn't use tape, I could have scratched something)

Thanks Caspan, good info to know about our battery changes in CX-5 remotes.

I replaced both remote batteries in my Lexus last year, a little different process, no problem, no scratches.

They instructed me to use the key to get in... then you hold the key fob right up to the start button and that is supposed to allow you to start the car at least, until you get the battery replaced.

Is there any way to disable the proximity entry without taking the battery out of the fob? I'm asking because I used put my key in a lock-box while surfing.

Thanks in advance

I don't believe there is, but I do not have the option on my CX-5 so I do not know for sure. It might be in the owners manual but when I read mine I did not see anything in there about disabling it. Look at your vehicle setup under your stereo options as well.

G'day Josh

This from the manual:
"NOTE
The advanced keyless entry system functions can be deactivated to prevent any possible adverse effect on a user wearing a pacemaker or other medical device. If the system is deactivated, you will be unable to start the engine by carrying the key. Consult an Authorized Mazda Dealer for details. If the advanced keyless entry system has been deactivated, you can start the engine by following the procedure indicated when the key
battery goes dead."

Seems it can be disabled, whether it can be re-enabled easily is another story.

Cheers

That would make me believe it is an option then, hopefully it is one that you can trigger on and off yourself and does not require a tech to do it!

Key Fob battery replacement

It is also in the Manual. You would remove the key and use a slotted screwdriver with tape on it to pry up on the inside edge which will snap that side up. You can use that gap to run your tapped slotted screw driver along the gap to snap open the rest. Once open there is a round battery door you can pop open with the same slotted screwdriver. The battery compartment has a rubber ring in it to help seal the battery compartment from dust and moisture. When you put it back together make sure you put the rubber ring in and pushed down all the way and then place the circle cover back on. It is be a tight fit and air pressure might make it pop up. Once the fob back is on it wont do this and will keep the door pressed down. When you put the fob cover back on, make sure to latch the top first then go down the right or left side, then the other side and it will all snap into place. there should be a clean line all the way around.

KeyFob-1.jpg
KeyFob-2.jpg
KeyFob-3.jpg
KeyFob-4.jpg

I did not need to replace the battery but I wanted to go through the steps and it worked just fine.

Back