stivine6's 2001 Mazda Protege Build

stivine6

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES
Hey im a new member but i've been lurking around and thought id share my work so far on my protege, its an auto but my first car so gotaa live with it :(

Its a 01 ES with 212k km when i first got it, now at 220k km 4 months later running strong

First couple days
dsc0125xn.jpg

First mod - HID 5000k and yellow foglights
imag1281.jpg

Couldn't find the OEM lip so i did the HD lip :D
imag1336k.jpg

I then picked up a mazdaspeed exhaust
imag1345.jpg

imag1350.jpg

Picked up a set of 4x100 protege alloys and re-did the paint job
Before:
image20120112223937.jpg

After
dsc0300y.jpg

Installed SRI
imag1493.jpg

I then lowered it 1.25 all the way around before and after
comparisonw.png

After most of my mods so far
dsc0461hg.jpg

dsc0466hk.jpg

dsc0465zz.jpg

I managed to get oem P5 front bumper, sideskirts, and mp3 rear lip so this is how my car sits now after 4 months :)
20120501133511.jpg

20120501133532.jpg

imag1800.jpg

Mods
- 5000k HID
- HD lip (now gone)
- Mazdaspeed exhaust
- Short ram intake
- 4x100 protege Alloy
- Moog ford escape endlinks
- Mudflaps
- Muteki red anodized lug nuts
- Lowered 1.25 inches all around with Tokico HP struts
- Black calipers/drums
- p5 front bumper
- sideskrits
- mp3 rear lip

Next on the list..
oem spoiler (at body shop being painted)
Yellow fogs
Any other suggestions?

Positive/Negative comments welcomed

Last edited:
looks good, but... its an ES with 4-lug wheels and rear drums? thats not right.

looks good, but... its an ES with 4-lug wheels and rear drums? thats not right.

I believe the early 2001 canadian model came with 4 lugs and drums, theres actually a lot around here with the samething. :( i think 2001.5 was revised.

AH! lol, didn't see you were from TO :p

haha thats no problem :)

Anyone got ideas on what other mods i can do?

I'd like to keep it clean

engine wise i;m mostly focussing on keeping it healthy and running good so all i have is SRI :D

Update: Installing spoiler

another small update

got my spoiler back from paint two days ago and started the install today with my gf

Shiny new paint
imag1817.jpg

test fitting
imag1821.jpg

I didn't have a factory template so i made my own ghetto template from a rice bag. Doesn't look pretty or fancy but it works
imag1822w.jpg

Started tapping in the drill bits to make markings
imag1826.jpg

Drilling begins (YIKES)
imag1825.jpg

Touched up with paint - i also used a bit of silicone sealant and applied small bits of rust proof after
imag1832.jpg

imag1831.jpg

End result
imag1833s.jpg

imag1834y.jpg

excuse the poor quality pics my phone isn't doing so good. Need to take some dslr shots one of these days.

The hardest part was definitely the drilling but once you get over that fact its a easy install and straight forward. I did my best to take precaution of rusting.

The p5 bumper fit with the 01 pro grille without cutting anything?

I had to get a p5 grille from a junkyard actually.

The sedan grille will fit but there will be a gap at the bottom if you can live with it for a bit

What mudflaps did you go with? And where did you find those wind deflectors? Trying to find some for mine as well but only found the crazy oversize ones.

Nice job!

thanks! I went with generic canadian tire ones

I wanted rallyarmor but they are $100 for the rubber ones and $15 for hard plastic. I picked these soft ones for $7 a pair and was done with

Some more recent cleaned up picture of my protege, since this picture i've added yellow fog light overlays and 3mm spacers

dsc0679f.jpg

dsc0677zm.jpg

Also tinted reverse/turn signal portion of the taillights with 1 coat of VHT nite shades

imag1883.jpg

imag1882.jpg

Last edited:
Update

Forgot i had this thread, figured i will update it and keep my progress

After the last update i've done a few things

Added CS lip
imag1988g.jpg

Found a great deal on a set of GP Racing GR-3 rims +42 offset (added 3mm spacer) so +39 offset with Falken ZE912 tires with plenty of thread left for $330, couldn't pass that up
dsc1450.jpg

dsc1471a.jpg

Had my car rust proof with corrosion free and applied grease inside + outside of fenders
imag2180r.jpg

I then got changed out my steering wheel for a P5 one
photo2yhe.jpg

photo3mpm.jpg
[/IMG]

Installed my strut bar
photo4kgo.jpg
[/IMG]

then came winter mode :(
imagetfeg.jpg
[/IMG]
imagekqv.jpg

Tried to rock those rims for a few weeks but really wanted something else..
photo4xj.jpg

Found these for a decent price they're rota slipstreams 15x6.5 +40 offset (+37 with 3mm spacers)

A few days later i found black was a bit boring so i dipped them in white, i am happy :D
imagesvv.jpg

imageivgo.jpg

imagerrd.jpg

rota16.jpg

rota17.jpg

I also have an autoexe replica grille sitting around that i swapped out for winter

This is the progress so far, its been through a lot in one year but i enjoyed every bit of it!

Last edited:
Car looks clean as ****. Gotta get rid of that automatic though, man. Stop spending on the aesthetic stuff and save up for the stuff that matters.

Car looks clean as ****. Gotta get rid of that automatic though, man. Stop spending on the aesthetic stuff and save up for the stuff that matters.

Yeah I know what you mean I hate auto but other family members need it too. I have a few mods in mind later on like rear sway bars but really not much, these cars aren't going to make much more power I figured it drives really nice so it should look nice too haha.

nice job! my car also has close to 225k miles and still runs great, although i wouldn't mind more hp, lol. i love how clean your ride looks compared to when you first got it. did you get a respray or is that just a deep shine? that body kit and your summer wheels really complement the car!

nice job! my car also has close to 225k miles and still runs great, although i wouldn't mind more hp, lol. i love how clean your ride looks compared to when you first got it. did you get a respray or is that just a deep shine? that body kit and your summer wheels really complement the car!

Thanks man :) I have about 236100 km or 146705 miles on it now. Running strong as well!

I don't believe it's been resprayed on one panel but that's about it so pretty much original paint. It just shines really nice with a coat of wax. I hope to drive this car for as long as I can or until I can get a manual!

Back