Electronic Key slid down and under cupholder compartment (2012 CX 9)

Bob/Mac

:
2012 CX 9 Touring
Left key on top of closed cup holder compartment. Opened compartment, key slid back and down. Can see it when fully opened, but can't reach it without angling lid and then not visible or accessible. No doubt dealer can remove console (one hopes) but I'd like to avoid expense (how much you think?). Brand new vehicle so I don't want to scratch things up trying to pry out console parts. Any way to access underneath without hack saw or crowbar?

To remove the cup holder ... (I know you don't want to tear up your shining new vehicle)
1) remove the box mat in front of the indicator panel
2) remove the indicator panel
3) remove the cup holder

Or, you can do some "fishing". Would a magnet or duck tape work for your problem?

How about the mother of all lighted/magnetic/claw pickup tools? This one's by Ullman.

16-MLT_lighted_magnetic_claw.jpg

I use it scratch any place that itches.

Many thanks. ceric, have to laugh because I tried chopstics first, and then realized that 180* lid angle wasn't wide enough for extraction. HOLOHOLO, same issue with pickup tool/itch scratcher. ceric, the "indicator panel" would be what/where? Honest, I'm not as dumb as that question would indicate. Your empathy for maintaining scratchless is appreciated. Pass the eggrolls.

Curved chop sticks?
Just kidding.
Indicator panel is the panel at the base of your gear shifter.
That is what Mazda calls it in WorkShop manual.
Apparently to hide the joints/seams, one covers the other.
i.e. Box Mat covers Indicator Panel covers the Cup Holder.
Therefore, you have to remove in that order.
Will it work if you just remove the lid of the cup holder?

Will let you know next Wednesday evening: Going to dealer for 5000 mi maintenance, fog light install, and key retrieval. I told the service manager I have an Asian friend in CA - - CX-9 expert - - who said getting the key is easier than stir fry. You da Man.

Will let you know next Wednesday evening: Going to dealer for 5000 mi maintenance, fog light install, and key retrieval. I told the service manager I have an Asian friend in CA - - CX-9 expert - - who said getting the key is easier than stir fry. You da Man.

I am no expert on CX9.
There are people on this forum who know way more than I do.
Keep us posted.

So wait - this means anyone can jump in the car and drive it off with no key?

Did you deactivate that key somehow?

Can you lock the car properly?

Etc.

Those seem to be the serious issues w the "lost" key.

HOLOHOLO... It would seem lock command from the other key locks the doors after a series of warning beeps, overriding the lost/passive key. But, yes, upon entry it would light up and go. Fortunately, garage kept. Thanks for your interest. Love the Ullman tool, btw.

I had the same exact thing happen to me yesterday. Wife was able to fish out the key using a coat hanger bent to have a hook on the end. Pretty frustrating.

Dealer removed cup holder, retrieved electronic key. No charge. Service manager says it happens all the time. Also, he said Mazda getting ready to "officially" recommend synthetic oil. No extra charge for that (100% syntec) either. Many thanks for comments and assistance. Much appreciated.

he said Mazda getting ready to "officially" recommend synthetic oil. No extra charge for that (100% syntec) either.

I have my doubts about the "No extra charge" part, but we will see.
Glad that the key is retrieved.

I just went to this with a iPhone stuck behind the cup holder. You will need to do the following:

1. downed this manual and look in the 1880 page range and beyond.
2. Remove the front plate. (you will need to put it in N to remove it
3. Remove the side trim plates on the console (you can just loosen them).
4. remove the two screws holding the console.
5. Remove the cup holder and retrieve item.
6. Put back together in reverse...

Insane design.

Cant we just fill this area, stuff a washcloth in there to prevent deep sixing all our keys and personal items?

Too funny. I just posted this same ordeal in another thread. The whacked part of it is you can't lock the car and anyone could simply drive it away. I fished it out after 2 frustrating weeks of searching.

can you tell me how she did it? I tried the hanger and could not get it to hook on the remote. I would appreciate it. Just got the car, first day I drove it and i accidentally hit the door to the drink holder with my elbow and the remote slid down.I can touch it but cant get it back up.Thanks. hate to have to take it to a dealer.

Sounds like some really long needle nose might work.
Or something really sticky on the end of a short rod.

Few days back I decided to wash my cup holder. So I watched a YouTube video and took it off following the instructions, to find a big treasure waiting for me. The cavity was full of coins, a few lighters, gum wrap, a $5 bill and what not. These are from the previous owner of the car. I could collect half of the coins and that totalled about 20 dollars. The rest of the coins are not reachable. Most of them slid underneath the lining and some are stuck at the very back of the cavity. It was a great treasure hunt!

On the hind side, I broke the top panel of the cup holder while trying to open it at the narrow side right in the middle. It's not visible once put back. Still, I am looking for the cup holder cover, which appears to be very rare to find. If anybody can suggest where to find it, I am willing to give away the treasure I found in that cavity!

Back