CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

Yea,I guess I will just extract some fluid.Honestly I think my measurement is wrong but Im just giving a rough estimate,it could be 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch.

Remeasure with a cold engine with car sitting approximately level. If not more that 3/8 inch leave it alone.

Remeasure with a cold engine with car sitting approximately level. If not more that 3/8 inch leave it alone.

I would lean to the side of caution. It's easy to remove 1/2 quart of oil to bring the oil level down to at least the max fill line and that is what I recommend. The engine is designed to be run with the oil level between the max. and min. lines.

EDIT: Found the oil, which is same price as walmart but amazon ships for free :)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

You might want to check out your local Mazda dealership part departments for coupons on oil. I was able to pick up 5 quarts of moly and an oil filter for $36.87. Granted, the cashier applied more than the 15% off the coupon stated, but with the correct discount the price would have been the same as the Castrol link.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/?u...19676108&rm=14a8de0cc334d7ca&zw&sz=w1332-h508

There is the level I am at today,I checked after the car was shut down over night,I also removed the cover to gain access to see the engine better but I didn't notice and leaks of any kind. That is weird,I bought the multi purpose pump from harbor freight to try to siphon out some oil just for precautionary measures but I couldn't fit the tube through the dipstick hole,the tub that is provided is 1/4 inch in diameter and 47inches long, does anyone know the specific size such as the diameter of the dipstick tube.

With apologies in advance if this has been discussed previously (i searched....), are there any known issues with using Mobil One 0w-20 Extended Performance (gold top) versus their 0w-20 Advance Fuel Economy (green top)------assuming regular 5,000 mi. OCI? Have a 2015 2.5l engine.

Sometimes one is available when the other is not---- priced nearly the same.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Just picked up a 2013 cx5 with 54k miles on it. Did the first oil change this weekend. Easiest car ever to change oil on.

Using Quaker state UD ow-20 full synthetic. Local hardware store has it for $3 after rebate, plus another $4 back per quart so I make money on the deal. Great oil too, high moly and calcium. Paired it with the pure one oil filter.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated 0W-20.html

Paired it with the pure one oil filter.

Is that Pure One #PL14612?

Because that has a bypass pressure release valve at 14-18 psi. I thought Skyactiv G engines called for 8-11 psi. But that's just going from memory, I use the OEM filters so I don't have to think that hard!

Also, the Pure One filter has an anti-drainback valve installed. The Mazda filters do not since the filter is mounted threads up, the oil can't drain back anyway. It probably won't hurt anything to have the anti-drain back valve in there but it does cause a little extra resistance that the oil pump needs to overcome. I recall the Skyactiv oil pumps are designed to conserve energy.

Owners manual on 2015 CX-5 says 4.8 US quarts. I put in the full 5 qt jug, and as others have said, that brings it up about 2/3 the way to the full line, perfect. That makes it a pretty easy process to just buy a 5 qt jug each time.

I expected not being able to get the filter off by hand the first time, and I couldn't. The local O'Reilly auto parts store had a Penzoil, 19902 Code C, 'Oil Filter Cap Wrench', for about $6 that worked perfectly. (65/67 mm, 14 flutes). It's a snug fit, so I hammer tapped it on to the bottom of the filter until it was fully seated to the bottom end. I happened to have a 1" Socket wrench to then screw the whole thing off with. A 1" regular wrench would work also. I also bought a long arm 8mm allen wrench to get the plug out.

FWIW, I used the OEM filter (PE01-14-302A) and Castro 'Edge' SAE 0W-20 Full Synthetic. Happy oil changing.

Owners manual on 2015 CX-5 says 4.8 US quarts. I put in the full 5 qt jug, and as others have said, that brings it up about 2/3 the way to the full line, perfect. That makes it a pretty easy process to just buy a 5 qt jug each time.

I expected not being able to get the filter off by hand the first time, and I couldn't. The local O'Reilly auto parts store had a Penzoil, 19902 Code C, 'Oil Filter Cap Wrench', for about $6 that worked perfectly. (65/67 mm, 14 flutes). It's a snug fit, so I hammer tapped it on to the bottom of the filter until it was fully seated to the bottom end. I also bought a long arm 8mm allen wrench to get the plug out.

FWIW, I used the OEM filter (PE01-14-302A) and Castro 'Edge' SAE 0W-20 Full Synthetic. Happy oil changing.
Thanks for listing the tools needed. I won't be doing an oil change myself until some time in 2016, but it is good to know about the wrenches. The deal I got when I purchased my CX-5 included three oil changes at no charge from the Mazda dealer, and at the rate that I am driving I figure that will take me to 2016 easy.

Where is the best place online to buy an oil change kit (Mazda Oil w/ Moly + filter)? I'm not willing to pay ~$60 at my local dealer just for oil and filter anymore...

Though I'm still debating if I want to cheap out and use Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 + Mazda filter or full Mazda oil... ~$33 for Mobil 1 + Mazda filter vs. ~$60 for Mazda oil + filter...

The last receipt I have from HandA-Accessories.com (who used to/maybe still is a forum sponsor) is for $52.79. This was for 5 qts Mazda-Moly, one Mazda filter, shipping (within Calif) and Calif. sales tax. They do not provide a drain plug washer (don't know why, but I just reuse the old one and seal with Permatex drain plug sealant), or you can purchase them locally. Best price I've been able to find. As for "cheaping out" with Mobil 1, I still recall the fuel mileage bump I noticed after the first oil change (as others here have also), so I'm not gonna mess with success. Besides, I change my oil every six months, so the incremental cost for the Mazda oil is negligible.

Last edited:
I notice Med Mazda (mazdaparts.org) have the kits for $40 + shipping or free shipping over $100. Not sure if that's a reputable site. I wouldn't mind paying the extra $7 for Mazda oil, just not ~$20+ when compared to Mobil 1 as I change oil a bit often also (4 to 6 months) since I do drive about 15k to 20k miles a year.

I notice Med Mazda (mazdaparts.org) have the kits for $40 + shipping or free shipping over $100. Not sure if that's a reputable site. I wouldn't mind paying the extra $7 for Mazda oil, just not ~$20+ when compared to Mobil 1 as I change oil a bit often also (4 to 6 months) since I do drive about 15k to 20k miles a year.

They are reputable. I bought some accessories from their eBay store.

EDIT: I am picking up 5 quarts & a filter tomorrow from dealer while I am getting my BT module replaced.

Last edited:
I bought my moly from my dealer again. Filter was 7.99 and they charged me $7.09/quart. I picked up 5 quarts. Total before tax was 43.44.

They are reputable. I bought some accessories from their eBay store.

EDIT: I am picking up 5 quarts & a filter tomorrow from dealer while I am getting my BT module replaced.

I bought my moly from my dealer again. Filter was 7.99 and they charged me $7.09/quart. I picked up 5 quarts. Total before tax was 43.44.

Wow. My dealer wanted over $60 for just the moly oil despite a full oil change being about $50. So, I buy it online instead.

I compared previous receipt and they charged me about $1 less a quart this time. Not sure if this was because I was there on the BT module service visit or that I had purchased vehicle from them.

EDIT: I guess we'll see how long it takes to drain with the Fumoto.

Last edited:
Wow, your dealer is fairly cheap for the oil...

My past 2 total was $55 I believe, if I didn't mention/showed the old receipt that I got the price of $55 first time, I would have been charged $70 for 5 quarts of oil and the filter...

But now, I ordered 3 sets of oil from Med Mazda eBay.. A lot cheaper than my local dealer for sure.

I know I was really surprised at the price as I had thought about ordering from Med as well.

I changed oil & filter this afternoon. So easy on this rig... I bought the Fumoto valve with nipple on it. That saved some effort as I could empty right into the container I take to O'reilly's for recycle. Drain out is slower than stock bolt but by 15-20 minutes it was all out.

The valve will make for easier Blackstone oil tests as well.

EDIT: Dealer even threw in the metal drain plug gasket without charging.... I didn't ask for it and put it in my jar of misc odds and ends. For the locals... this is Everett Mazda. Brand new dealership about 1/2 mile south of the old location.

Wow, your dealer is fairly cheap for the oil...

My past 2 total was $55 I believe, if I didn't mention/showed the old receipt that I got the price of $55 first time, I would have been charged $70 for 5 quarts of oil and the filter...

But now, I ordered 3 sets of oil from Med Mazda eBay.. A lot cheaper than my local dealer for sure.

Last edited:
Back