CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

The problem with drain valves is they are prone to breaking off from hitting road debris and when that happens your engine oil drains without notice. That's why oil drain nuts are flush to the oil pan (so they do not apply leverage to the oil pan in the event of impact or grounding).

How hard is it to remove a plug during oil change?

If you look at the pictures attached to the first post on this thread, the drain plug is a few inches above the plastic belly pan under the car. It is unlikely that road debris would break it off without you knowing that you hit something and better check for damage.

It is not hard to remove a plug but it is also easy to get oil all over you and the valve with a nipple for a tube to control the drain of the oil is appealing.

The problem with drain valves is they are prone to breaking off from hitting road debris and when that happens your engine oil drains without notice. That's why oil drain nuts are flush to the oil pan (so they do not apply leverage to the oil pan in the event of impact or grounding).

How hard is it to remove a plug during oil change?

I've used these valves on my past 3 vehicles (Tacoma 4x4, Subaru Forester, F-150 4x4). Road or trail debris was never an issue and I routinely travel off-road.

I use these valves because of their ability to allow a hot oil change without getting burned and ease of use. I agree it's not hard to wrench a drain plug but how many times have we spilled oil or burned ourselves?

I agree it's not hard to wrench a drain plug but how many times have we spilled oil or burned ourselves?

Never.

I put the drain pan under the drain and let the nut fall into the pan. Never had a problem. But if I did it would be a minor inconvenience compared to shearing off a drain spout while driving.

I did the oil change and used Purolator filter PL14612 hand tight + ~1/2 turn extra

I used 14mm ID crush washer on the drain plug.
I love the hex head drain bolt plug - very nice.
The filter and plug are right next to each other - thanks Mazda.

I used 0W20 full synth - 4.2L

What are you guys using for an oil filter wrench? I like using the hex caps that use a 3/8" square socket wrench, but everything I've tried at the auto store didnt fit right. I ended up buying one that is just a shade tight and tapped it on the old filter in order to wrench it off. The new filter didnt cooperate doing the same in reverse, so I just twisted it on with a pair of gloves. That's generally the accepted practice, but I like to get a half turn more with the wrench for peace of mind.

I used Mazda filters and Mazda 0W20 moly oil. 4 quarts puts me firmly in the middle of the hi/lo marks on the dipstick.

I don't know who makes Mazda filters so I cant comment on them vs fram. From what I can tell, the construction of fram filters has improved greatly over the years, however I think it's been generally understood that their filtering capability is not as good as OE quality or Mobil 1.

45Hand.jpg

My $0.02:

First, this is the easiest vehicle to change oil on, hands down. Filter and drain plug are located directly next to each other, and the filter is inverted which makes spillage much less.

Same here on the "wrench." I've always been taught not to over-tighten an oil filter. I normally spin the filter until it stops on its own, then rotate another quarter-to-half of a turn. Never had a problem, and it makes it easy (possible) to remove next time.

I also always do hot oil changes (again, something I was taught young...the theory is that the oil is warmed up and thinner and drains more completely), and have never used one of those drain valves, but I can see their advantages. Also, I always let me oil drain for a while...at minimum 15 minutes, so I've never had problems with not getting oil out of the head Probably a little excessive, but I just use that time to rotate the tires (lucky me, I have access to a lift on base with very good tools for $6/hour).

I always do mine at 5k miles (coming up fast on 12k miles on my CX5), and use Mobil 1 0W-20 and a Mazda filter. I've never had problems with Fram, but there is a reason they are so cheap. I prefer whatever OEM is (Mazda-branded for the CX5, Motorcraft for my Focus, etc) or K&N filters. I also always replace the crush washer...its under a buck, why not?

All in all, it costs me a little less than $40 (5-quart jug of oil, filter, crush washer, and the fee for the lift and tools) and an hour of my time to change my oil which also includes rotating the tires and doing a thorough inspection under the car for anything out of the norm like bad bushings, evidence of any kind of leak, IED's, etc.

Last edited:
I used to do all my own oil changes, now I got married, live in a apt and don't have time to spend on oil changes etc. Luckily, the mazda dealer where I got the car from charges me only $55 for full syn oil changes/filter and vehicle inspection. Can't beat that!

I have always used oe filters with Mobil1 and KN as excellent alternatives.The oil of choice used to be Mobil1 but with the recent info on the new Mazda oil i recently used the Mazda oil.Hey 92FOX should you find an ied under the CX5 you may want to call 89D EOD.

So is the drain plug for oil pan pointing to the passenger side? I prefer cars that has the drain plug point back to the rear. Most people do oil change by jacking up the front of the car. If the drain plug is point to the side then most likely you need to jack up the rear to even out the pan to drain the rest of the oil that is trapped when the front is up.

Thanks. From the pic and the way the tires are position, I thought it was pointing to the passenger side. Rear is much better to drain oil.

Has anyone installed the fumoto valve? Just wondering if I can use the F-106N by itself, or if I actually need to use the adapter (ADP-106).

Has anyone installed the fumoto valve? Just wondering if I can use the F-106N by itself, or if I actually need to use the adapter (ADP-106).

I ordered both based on website recommendations but have not reached oil change time to install, should be soon as I am approaching 15000 miles.

Latest posts

Back