CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

Anyone know the torque spec for the oil drain plug? Searched this thread and saw several references to it in general but no actual value in ft-lb or N-m.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it myself here:

http://www.mcx5.org/engine_oil_replacement-1543.html

30—41 Nm {3.1—4.1 kgfm, 23—30 ftlbf}

Assuming there's no reason for there to be a different value for gen 1 vs. gen 2.

Last edited:
Anyone know the torque spec for the oil drain plug? Searched this thread and saw several references to it in general but no actual value in ft-lb or N-m.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it myself here:

http://www.mcx5.org/engine_oil_replacement-1543.html

30—41 Nm {3.1—4.1 kgfm, 23—30 ftlbf}

Assuming there's no reason for there to be a different value for gen 1 vs. gen 2.
Yeah it’s there just got buried at Post #54:

23 TO 30 FT/LBS According to the CX5 manual. Ed

Nothing is different as long as you use a new aluminum washer.

I was at my Mazda dealer today picking up my vehicle for the timing cover leak and went to buy an oil filter for my next change. I asked if he still had anything other than the MV filters and he came back with the Thialand model. Said they have extra on hand for warranty purposes, whatever that means. Charged me $6.31 with gasket. So, they're still out there, you just need to ask.

My dealer has always been carrying 2 lines of maintenance parts. For oil filter they have regular line 1WPE-14-302 (made in Thailand) and Value line PE01-14-302A-MV (made in Mexico).

THat's what I've found: PE01-14-302A is made in Japan. PE01-14-302B is made in Mexico. 1WPE-14-302 is made in Thailand.
Doesn't make any sense, seeing that that one on the pic is made in Japan.

Not correct. The PE01-14-302B is made in Japan . PE01-14-302A-MV oil filter is made in Mexico.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone.

I just picked up a 2019 CX-5 GT Reserve. I'm loving it so far!

I plan on doing my own maintenance on the car, so I'm doing some research for oil changes. Can anyone tell me if the oil filter for the CX-9 will be the same for the CX-5 with the 2.5T? I would imagine it would be good, but I haven't been able to find anything to confirm that.

I just found this site and about to purchase at 2019 CX5 GT Reserve this week. I also plan to begin doing routine maintenance but am learning along the way. Does the turbo on the 2.5 make the oil changes any more difficult that the non turbo? My sales guy says change every 5k but would it be better to change more frequent with the turbo?

I just found this site and about to purchase at 2019 CX5 GT Reserve this week. I also plan to begin doing routine maintenance but am learning along the way. Does the turbo on the 2.5 make the oil changes any more difficult that the non turbo? My sales guy says change every 5k but would it be better to change more frequent with the turbo?
The difficultly of oil change on 2.5T is the same as naturally aspirated 2.5L and it's relatively easy. You should use "Flexible" oil change interval which is the default from factory unless your dealer changed it to "Fixed" during the new car preparation. "Flexible" oil change interval can be up to 7,500 miles or 12 months depending on your driving habit and the on-board computer will calculate the proper oil change interval and display an oil change reminder when the oil change is soon due.

No, you don't need more frequent oil changes on your 2.5T as long as you use correct viscosity and quality full synthetic oil. IMO 5,000-mile should be the minimum interval for oil change including the first oil change on factory oil, unless the vehicle is driving in a very severe environment. You can always change your oil early even if you're on "Flexible" and "Oil change due" message hasn't been displayed. Just make sure to reset the maintenance monitor after the oil change to re-start the "Flexible" OCI calculation.

In addition, 2.5T uses a different OEM oil filter, PY8W-14-302, which is made by Tokyo Roki from Japan. There's no "official" compatible aftermarket oil filter available at this time. And make sure to use 5W-30 full synthetic oil on 2.5T, not the 0W-20 oil used by NA 2.5L.

I'd check those every once in a while after you install them. I've had a few of them start to leak after a few thousand miles. The Thailand made filter is much better.
Always good (but not always practical) c to follow up on any procedure or service.
If an oil filter are installed correctly and you should be visually looking at them before using them there is no reason any oil filter(less a defective which you can visually see) should leak.
In my lifetime so far I have literally sold perhaps tens of thousands and personally install hundreds maybe more and have never had one oil filter leak. Guess I was fortunate IDK? lol I also can say as I have ever recalled a warranty return from any customer retail or commercial because of a leaking oil filter. I am sure given the odds that there is someone in the world that has had leaking oil filters like everything else nothing is perfect.

Even in the quick oil chain chain outlets across the US you dont hear about oil filter leaking because of a defect but yes you do from poor installations.

In addition, 2.5T uses a different OEM oil filter, PY8W-14-302, which is made by Tokyo Roki from Japan. There's no "official" compatible aftermarket oil filter available at this time. And make sure to use 5W-30 full synthetic oil on 2.5T, not the 0W-20 oil used by NA 2.5L.
"official" lol interesting choice of a word for what you are trying not to say and get caught with an inaccuracy? AGAIN! LOL
Their are several OIL FILTER Companies if you go DIRECT to their website for the information and not use generic application guides (that should be a thread topic all by itself) that have spec replacement oil filter that means meet or exceeds the factory specification for filter PY8W-14-302. And if you call most any of them or email them and ask the direct question of compatibility or meeting the factory specifications they will most certainly help you out with information about the PY8W-14-302 and what they offer!

Lets look at a company no one has talked about yet for starters, shall we..... ?
PUROLATOR
ooooooh look they have one , two ,three,,, LOL

http://www.pureoil.com/en/home/

1-800-526-4250 or email us at marketing@pureoil.com.

Last edited:
"official" lol interesting choice of a word for what you are trying not to say and get caught with an inaccuracy? AGAIN! LOL
Their are several OIL FILTER Companies if you go DIRECT to their website for the information and not use generic application guides (that should be a thread topic all by itself) that have spec replacement oil filter that means meet or exceeds the factory specification for filter PY8W-14-302. And if you call most any of them or email them and ask the direct question of compatibility or meeting the factory specifications they will most certainly help you out with information about the PY8W-14-302 and what they offer!

Lets look at a company no one has talked about yet for starters, shall we..... ?
PUROLATOR
ooooooh look they have one , two ,three,,, LOL

http://www.pureoil.com/en/home/

1-800-526-4250 or email us at marketing@pureoil.com.
Yeah Purolator claims its PBL14612、PL14612、L14612 oil filters are for BOTH Mazdas SkyActiv-G 2.5L AND 2.5T, while OEM has 2 different oil filters for these two engines.

Just because it fits or looks similar doesnt mean it meets the factory specifications.

Always good (but not always practical) c to follow up on any procedure or service.
If an oil filter are installed correctly and you should be visually looking at them before using them there is no reason any oil filter(less a defective which you can visually see) should leak.
In my lifetime so far I have literally sold perhaps tens of thousands and personally install hundreds maybe more and have never had one oil filter leak. Guess I was fortunate IDK? lol I also can say as I have ever recalled a warranty return from any customer retail or commercial because of a leaking oil filter. I am sure given the odds that there is someone in the world that has had leaking oil filters like everything else nothing is perfect.

Even in the quick oil chain chain outlets across the US you dont hear about oil filter leaking because of a defect but yes you do from poor installations.

It's the response I expected. Quick oil chains aren't using the Mazda oil filter made in Mexico, versus the ones made in Thailand or Japan. Even the local Mazda dealerships around here pass off the MV filters as being inferior. ...lol...

Last edited:
Yeah Purolator claims its PBL14612*PL14612*L14612 oil filters are for BOTH Mazda*s SkyActiv-G 2.5L AND 2.5T, while OEM has 2 different oil filters for these two engines.

Just because it fits or looks similar doesn*t mean it meets the factory specifications.
CLAIMS!!!! Really exactly who are you anyway? Puralator was not the only company I talked to this morning regarding your response.
OMFG really dude you think nationally and well know oil filter manufactures are going to frikjen LIE!!! LOL

It's the response I expected. Quick oil chains aren't using the Mazda oil filter made in Mexico, versus the ones made in Thailand or Japan. Even the local Mazda dealerships around here pass off the MV filters as being inferior. ...lol...
Ya well I hate to tell you but there are no MAZDA informational to claim that these oil filter are "inferior". If you look or talk to the MAZDA Nation Distribution parts center in the US they will explain that it is simply a lot/stock and replacement based on cost and not for anything to the quality as you are implying!

Call them up and ask them yourself....I did. Before I step in to correct inaccuracy I checked the information out completely. Hey but I guess the new norm anymore is FAKE news and information. Who wants to really check facts out. Oh wait I did and do. LOL

You know some of the members on this forum actually do this s***/Work in the auto industry) for a living and really are not the average DIY on a forum trying to be something we are not. (yrwei52?)

Last edited:
Yeah Purolator claims its PBL14612*PL14612*L14612 oil filters are for BOTH Mazda*s SkyActiv-G 2.5L AND 2.5T, while OEM has 2 different oil filters for these two engines.

Just because it fits or looks similar doesn*t mean it meets the factory specifications.

...also if you check around the different Mazda OEM part sites, they don't even have a listing for a 2019 oil filter for CX5. I checked 4 of them.

CLAIMS!!!! Really exactly who are you anyway? Puralator was not the only company I talked to this morning regarding your response.
OMFG really dude you think nationally and well know oil filter manufactures are going to frikjen LIE!!! LOL

Ya well I hate to tell you but there are no MAZDA informational to claim that these oil filter are "inferior". If you look or talk to the MAZDA Nation Distribution parts center in the US they will explain that it is simply a lot/stock and replacement based on cost and not for anything to the quality as you are implying!

Call them up and ask them yourself....I did. Before I step in to correct inaccuracy I checked the information out completely. Hey but I guess the new norm anymore is FAKE news and information. Who wants to really check facts out. Oh wait I did and do. LOL

You know some of the members on this forum actually do this s***/Work in the auto industry) for a living and really are not the average DIY on a forum trying to be something we are not. (yrwei52?)

You really expect someone from higher up the food chain at Mazda to say they have bad parts? I can hear that phone call in my mind right now " Ummm, Mr. Mazda, I heard you make really bad engines...can you verify this...Yes, that's right Mr. Customer...our engines are bad...(lol)...."

Last edited:

OMFG really dude you think nationally and well know oil filter manufactures are going to friken LIE!!! LOL

Call them up and ask them yourself....I did. Before I step in a thread conversation I am interested in and before correcting inaccuracy I check into the information completely.
You know some of actually do this s*** for a living and really are not the average DIY or electrical technicians on a forum trying *to be *something we are not.

I always am surprised over participating decades on car forums how there are always the members grouping together to to hold and support Myths and the mentality thinking of "Trible Wisdom".
Perhaps when they were growing up their parents told them to stfu instead of learning to question things to find the truthful of factual answers and information?

And yes I already have been informed that I have complaints for my responses on a couple of threads towards a member or the other one, that get their BUTT hurt for my correcting their bad or inaccurate information. lol

Last edited:
Why would you bother using a non-OEM filter if the OEM one is the same price or cheaper and meets the specification? The Sky engine runs a variable pressure oil pump that's unique, and Mazda even says their old filters which are the same size are not to be used. This, in my mind, means that other filters that also fit might not be right for the job. Your money, your car, your decision. I see no convincing argument to run anything other than OE if it fits, works, and is spec'd for the job and is the same price (or nearly).

Back