Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT

I'm coming up on my first oil change soon. What is the difference between resetting the Maintenance Monitor after an oil change and resetting the engine oil data on the ECU? I see two different procedures listed in my owner's manual, 9 pages apart - both indicate they need to be done. Does resetting the Maintenance Monitor accomplish both, or are these actually two separate procedures I need to do?

Thanks.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

if i remember, two resets from the infotainment is all you need if you have the maintenance app.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

Quote Originally Posted by cz5gt View Post
    my 18' cx5 is also with a flange hex bolt type plug.
    Havent changed 1st oil yet but I looked.
    So assuming all new cx5 now use this type.
    I believe Mazda changed drain plug to flange hex bolt type when they modified the SA-G 2.5L with cylinder deactivation in 2018 CX-5 MY.

I also believe SA-G 2.5T on 2019 CX-5 keeps original Allen hex keyed drain plug as there's no change to the engine.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

Quote Originally Posted by eaedstrom View Post
    I'm coming up on my first oil change soon. What is the difference between resetting the Maintenance Monitor after an oil change and resetting the engine oil data on the ECU? I see two different procedures listed in my owner's manual, 9 pages apart - both indicate they need to be done. Does resetting the Maintenance Monitor accomplish both, or are these actually two separate procedures I need to do?

Thanks.
    There're 2 reset methods because there're 2 different types of instrument cluster. Your CX-5 GT has Type B cluster and you use Vehicle Status Monitor app in infotainment to reset 3 independent maintenance intervals. For oil change, you reset "Oil Change" tab only. The "Scheduled" tab listed on top has nothing to do with oil change. Make sure to choose Flexible OCI for Oil Change.

BTW, you should have Flexible OCI from factory unless your dealer or you changed it. What is your current oil life left indicated in miles?

I understand some Canadian CX-5 owners are having trouble to reset Oil Change maintenance monitor and I believe it's because Mazda doesn't allow Flexible OCI in Canada, and they screwed up the software programming when Mazda disabled the Flexible feature.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    There're 2 reset methods because there're 2 different types of instrument cluster. Your CX-5 GT has Type B cluster and you use Vehicle Status Monitor app in infotainment to reset 3 independent maintenance intervals. For oil change, you reset "Oil Change" tab only.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I understand the difference between the Type A and Type B Maintenance Monitors, and how to do the various resets on my GT's Type B Monitor.

What I was really asking about is the separate set of instructions (located 9 pages after the MM reset instructions) titled "Vehicle Engine Control Unit Reset Procedure." There's no mention of Type A vs Type B monitors and it states that this procedure must be done after each oil change. However, the steps sound the same as the Type A MM reset, so I guess that I'm good with the Type B reset. It's a little confusing that this is listed separately and titled differently - it makes it sound like a separate procedure. Was just looking for confirmation/clarification.

Thanks again.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

Did my first oil change today.Here are some pics.

original japan filter vs thailand one that is currently sold by the dealers.

the new oil plug for 2.5NA part no. if anybody is interested.
    I got a spare just in case.

and this is going for oil analysis.
    I will post in the uoa thread once ready.
    Surprisingly the oil was very dirty for 3000 miles and 5 months.I guess local heat takes its toll. We'll see

Oil filter and plug were very easy to unscrew.
    oil drain plug washer doesnt compress too much but seems good so far.

The thailand oem filter is very nice because it has markings just how much to rotate/tighten.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

and the oil wrench is this one from walmart 5$
    very easy to work with.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021