Speaker size ??

This thread is going on talking about similar thing.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...e-put-speakers-under-the-3-grills-in-the-dash

Here is info for the bose models for speaker size http://www.bose.nl/NL/nl/Images/Mazda_CX5_en_tcm55-56157.pdf

I think for non bose they should be the same except for the front doors which would likely not be woofers for but possibly 6x9's.

I still have not gotten a deffinate answer on how to pop out the speaker grills in the dash. I'm guessing the center is accessible by removing the head unit, and the front left and right dash should pop out somehow on their own.

Speaker size is 6.5 inches (round) in the doors (all four). I just replaced all four with Alpine SPS-610 and they fit nicely. Door panels have to be removed to access the speakers.

"bluemike", I’m also interested on improving my base 4 speakers. Did you notice a major change with these Alpine SPS-610? Did you remove the door panels yourself ? (if not, how much did it cost you for the installation?). Thanks!

I am also very interested in what you saw. Could the fronts fit larger speakers than 6.5" round? Did you replace the front tweeters?

I didn't take any pictures when i installed the new speakers, so i will try to describe it in words:

In order to replace the stock speakers in the doors, I carefully pryed off the door panels from the bottom to the top. They come out a lot easier when you have a little plastic fastener removal tool (basically a little fork shaped pry bar that you can buy at auto supply shops). Note that you have to remove the screw holding the door handle and screw holding the inside door release (which are also hidden behind plastic pieces). This process was very similar to removing the door panels on my old 2006 mazda6, which I found instructions for. I wouldn't have tried removing the door panels on my new cx5 without having practiced on the mazda6 first.

I don't think any larger speakers than 6.5inch would fit in the doors. I cannot vouch for the size of the tweeters that are in the top of the dash by the A pillars because I only have the GX/manual transmission (I believe this is the 'sport' trim level in the US), and it doesn't have the tweeters.

All in all, installing the Alpine SPS-610s was a huge improvement in the sound - much clearer than the $0.05 paper speakers that Mazda puts in these cars.

Did you have to use speaker adapters for the wiring or is it standard? I haven't done a speaker job on any car that was newer than 2000 and they always needed adapters.

The stock speakers come in a plastic basket that mounts into the door metal inner panel, and the basket contains the other end of the connector. So, what I did was rip out the stock speaker from the basket (I don't ever plan on putting the stock speakers back), fastening the new SPS-610s into the basket using self-tapping screws, and then soldering the wires from the new speakers into the connector in the basket. The assembled SPS-610/basket assembly goes back onto the door metal inner panel using the existing bolts, holes, etc. So now I have a pretty much "plug and play" system - the new speakers are set into the baskets from the old speakers, and since I kept the connector from the old speaker baskets, I can bolt/unbolt and connect/disconnect the speakers if I need to.

Now I really wish I had taken picture when I did the install. Oh well, next install I'll take pictures :)

I am also very interested in what you saw. Could the fronts fit larger speakers than 6.5" round? Did you replace the front tweeters?

If you follow that other thread mentioned above, you'll find that several of us have fitted 8" speakers in the front doors. All you need to fabricate is a 3/4" MDF (particle board) spacer. There's plenty of room and the 8" speakers provide a lot of bass.

Latest posts

Back