My Battle-Stance build thread PART 1: Protection, coilovers, bars and wheels!

Greensleeper

:
2 GX 2011
Hi!

My name is Yannick and i'm the proud owner of a very base model Mazda 2 GX 2011. I bought that car to replace my somewhat modded 2008 NC1 with something more practical and most of all less expensive. With the Miata I was running a beater and now i'm 33 so unpractical summer toys are, well not a Defcon 1 priority when building a business and most of all a family.

Some of you old enough here may remind me as Greensleeper 'for the green LX' that was quite a build (for the time). Now my friend LMT bought that car from me (completely stock except for the brake swap) and built my trusted solid old BJ with even more hardcore parts with agressive street/track in mind.

I must say that even if I miss the rock-solid feeling of my 2 others BJ and the nimbleness, perfect weight distribution and RWD fun of my NC1, my DE is more than expected, even as base model: It is still a Mazda with the great steering, solid chassis, solid brakes and suprisingly nimble feeling. And wow the shape of that car, I love it! Didn't feel cheap at all, despite the lack of a damn door remote and cruise control. Of course it have some issues like the terrible throttle response, that even the CS SRI can't fully compensate for and a lack of equipment in my trim and some other nicks and picks, but I never tought I love it that much!

So enough blabla and here's the fast facts: Last year I focused exclusively at protection: A full TechTeinte protection film kit, OEM mudguards set, Weathertech floor mats set, TechTeinte UV-resistant window tint and full quality rustproofing. Finally I added the OEM shorty antenna to eliminate that RC car look and pick the optional stainless exhaust tip for somewhat try to hide the ugly OEM muffler. This year I did a bit more: Corksport short ram intake, Corksport front strut-bar, Corksport 19mm rear torsion bar, Ksport Kontrol Pro coilovers and TRMotorsports C1M 15X7 +30 black Spec-Miata wheels. Not shown on those pics are the Volk Duralumin lug nuts in black.

So far the Ksport coilovers are more than a surprise. I know those have a bad rep from their early year, but I heard that they have improved since the last year, now sporting better components and most of all better shock valving, along with ISO and TUV approbations. So far I can tell that the exterior quality is on-par with the most expensive coilovers here and the damping is well matched, although not as refined as my previous KW V3's on my NC1, but those cost me twice as much and did'nt came with pillow-balls... Note that the front can go a good inch lower without affecting travel but comprising lower arm geometry. I'm almost parallel with the ground at that height. Rear I removed the locking collar to gain a little of drop. This is as low as they go at the rear. No bumpstop riding so far and I tested them on our harsh Qubec road hard enough. This is a perfect blen of track-capable spring rates with enough softness for daily commuting. 5/3 seems to be the perfect ratio for a dual setup like mine. The only complaint I have is no front camber adjustability from the pillow-ball top-plates. I'm currently talking with AAC for custom camber-plates Please contact nk2a to share your interest! Font Motorsport gave me an outstanding service on those, along with an excellent price and great transaction!

The Corksport stuff all work as advertised, as always. The short ram sharpen the throttle response and emit quite a bark, the front strut-bar is effective although hard to install (for a strut-bar) and the rear torsion bar is dead simple to install and most of all liven up off-throttle rotation. A JDM Demio badge finish off the Corksport orders.

The TRMotorsports C1M wheels are the Spec-Miata wheels for all 90-05 NA/NB's. They are relatively light, solid, available and must of all dirt cheap through Tire Rack. The 15X7 +30 WILL RUB IN FRONT AT MY SLAMMED HEIGHT ON OEM SIZE-TIRES. It strongly recommend the aformentioned custom AAC camber-plates or at least SPC cam-bolts. I will buy camber-plates to run 205/50 DOT R-Comp next year. Fitment is flush in front and a about 5-8mm is available at the rear through my untouched fenders.

All my protection stuff is working great: After one winter, no rust, virtually no paint chips and no salty floor mat.

Thanks to the love of my life Nath, my long-time friend Louis, my too intense little 'brother' Chris for all the help, understanding and support since last year. Special props to this forum for supporting Mazdas! Please cry here.

Enough blabla and those are the pics (sorry for the lack of definition of my wheels, i'm no pro photograph):

2010_0129015.jpg

2010_0129014B.jpg

2010_0129007.jpg

2010_0129006B.jpg

2010_0129017.jpg

2010_0129016.jpg

2010_0129018.jpg

All comments are welcomed!

Last edited:
so hold on u sold ur GREEN mz2 and bought urself a white one? nice u made a good choice ... ur build is looking quite awesome some what jealous of it. its good u spend the money on rust proofing ur car i did the same thing with my wifes cx-7 seeing how the snow and salt damage the car in mtl. i will be looking forward seeing u whn i get back to mtl this sept. more power to ur build.

so hold on u sold ur GREEN mz2 and bought urself a white one? nice u made a good choice ... ur build is looking quite awesome some what jealous of it. its good u spend the money on rust proofing ur car i did the same thing with my wifes cx-7 seeing how the snow and salt damage the car in mtl. i will be looking forward seeing u whn i get back to mtl this sept. more power to ur build.

Thanx for the kind words. My green car was a Proteg LX.

Dude! DUDE! Great job! Hella funny stickers. All in all very tastefully done. I'm also very happy that you liked the Ksports. I love them myself but you never know what a customer might think. So I'm glad that they worked out for you and I appreciate the love. The car definitely looks like a true hot hatch now. What's next?!!

You can find those Ksports over here.

Oh wow those C1Ms look awesome. Did you already have the car slammed when you got them or did you have the chance to try them at a higher ride height?

Oh wow those C1Ms look awesome. Did you already have the car slammed when you got them or did you have the chance to try them at a higher ride height?

I actually received the coilovers and wheels the same day, at the same time! Was quite funny to see the FeDex and UPS truck in my parking! The delivery mans did'nt spoke to each other lol!

I adjusted ride height and put the wheels on... Man it rubbed like crazy due to wwwwway out-of-spec toe out. Now with toe in spec, it only rub when I either take a really big bump or turn the wheels at maximum radius. Camber plates are really going to help me.

Note that a higher height, it will fit just fine. They are members here that are running 15X7 +25 with 205/50's with no problem at a H&R Sport ride height.

I actually received the coilovers and wheels the same day, at the same time! Was quite funny to see the FeDex and UPS truck in my parking! The delivery mans did'nt spoke to each other lol!

I adjusted ride height and put the wheels on... Man it rubbed like crazy due to wwwwway out-of-spec toe out. Now with toe in spec, it only rub when I either take a really big bump or turn the wheels at maximum radius. Camber plates are really going to help me.

Note that a higher height, it will fit just fine. They are members here that are running 15X7 +25 with 205/50's with no problem at a H&R Sport ride height.

Cool, I think I'm settled on the C1Ms for my car then. If they're fine on H&Rs they've gotta be OK with the Racing Beat springs, which are barely below stock.

i love the black handles...gonna go wrap my handles tomorrow and make a hellaslow sticker if thats ok with you =]

very nice Mz2 build so far! nice to see someone else dropping it like its hot

Thanks!!!! :)

Cool, I think I'm settled on the C1Ms for my car then. If they're fine on H&Rs they've gotta be OK with the Racing Beat springs, which are barely below stock.

C1M FTW!!!! :)

i love the black handles...gonna go wrap my handles tomorrow and make a hellaslow sticker if thats ok with you =]

Sure it's ok, your far from Qubec lol! :)

Cool. Thanks for the links!

:)

Back