Trouble starting car

Hello folks,

I need so advice as to what my be causing my problem.

I have a 2003 Progete5 Sportronic. In February 2012, I was visiting my folks in San Diego when my starter died. Called a mobile mechanic and got the starter replace. Since then the car has been fine. One cold morning in February, I tried to start the car but it wouldn't turn. I tried a couple more times to start it, but nothing happened. I waited a few minutes, then I turned the key then it finally started with some hesitation like there wasn't enough power. Anyhow, this incident has happened every now and then and only happens when I start it in the morning. My car is parked outside. I'm thinking maybe moisture is getting into something where it shouldn't be or a loose connection.

About 3 weeks ago, I got a CEL. I plugged in my OBDII reader and it read P0123. So I figure I had a bad TPS sensor. I unplugged the battery to reset everything. After that, the CEL never came back and the car drove fine.

Last Thursday, I was driving home and my car was shifting abnormally. The gears weren't slipping, but the car downshifted, but maintained the same speed. The car shifted to a higher gear and there was a noticeable jerk in the motor. (I'm thinking it's my TPS.) I had changed 3 motor mounts 2 weeks prior. I hadn't changed the rear mount due to it being a little more work. Friday, the day after, I tried to start my car and it would not start. Was thinking it was the battery, but it's only 2 years old (Duralast Gold from Autozone.) Called a tow truck to take my car to AAMCO who replaced my transmission last year. When the tow truck came, we tried to jump start the car, but that didn't help. Towed the car to AAMCO and left it there overnight.

Saturday morning, AAMCO calls and tells me my car started right up. They started the car numerous times without issue. It was driven around and they did not notice anything with the transmission. I told them about the CEL, the new starter. They couldn't find a problem. They did a transmission flush and I had them install a rear motor mount I had purchased. Picked up the car and it started without a problem. Took it home and parked it.

Today, I was headed out to a VW dealership to peep out the Jetta SW TDI. (No plans on buying a new car anytime soon, but was just curious about it.) I tried to start my P5, but it wouldn't.

Where should I look for problems? It seems like it could be an electrical issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
gerald

If its turning over slow it's probly the connections at the starter since its happened after that was replaced. Make sure there's a good connection there. If its just clicking it could be ignition switch the sensor on the clutch pedal or the alarm messing up

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a manual and my P5 doesn't have an alarm - only has the keyless entry with a panic button. It probably is a bad connection with the starter. I can't get underneath the car because I can't move it into the damn garage and I can't work on it on the street (HO rules). If it won't start tomorrow morning, I may just have it towed to the dealer and have them look at it since it's likely an electrical problem.

UPDATE: So on Sunday morning I'm about to head out to do some errands. And the P5 wouldn't start. I'm like WTF?! I leave the car alone a while then I go back out to start it and nothing. Monday morning comes and I decide I'm gonna take it to the dealer cuz I don't have the time to figure out what's wrong. I call a tow truck and the guy suggests hooking up jumper cables to the battery in case it's weak. So we do that, but that doesn't help. Then he takes a metal pipe and tells me to start the car while he's tapping the tranny and voila ... the car starts up. I send the tow truck away and I start driving to the dealer. After a mile, the car starts to downshift but maintains speed. The CEL goes off and the AT light starts to blink. I pull over into a parking lot, but I let the car run. Meantime, I call AAA again to tow the car to the dealer. I get to the dealer and I'm able to start the car without a problem. I explain to service lady what's been happening to my car. Unfortunately the device they use to read the CEL isn't working and they don't have a spare. They call a place to get another one so I wait. While I'm waiting, they let the car cool down and then they turn the key. The car starts without a hitch. They checked everything and can't seem to find the cause of the problem. Since they can't diagnose the CEL without their device and they tell me it won't arrive until tomorrow, I go home.

Today, I call the dealer and they started the car in the morning without a problem. The CEL turns off so now they can't diagnose the problem. (It was my understanding that even if the CEL turns off, the error code would still be in memory.) Anyhow, the car is acting fine and I'm pissed cuz it only acts up when I frakkin' need it. I tell them to keep the car another day and start it up again in the morning and take it for a drive to see if the transmission starts acting weird (my guess it's the TPS cuz I coded it 3 weeks ago).

Wonder if anyone has had this issue. The service lady told me that the P5 has had issues with aftermarket starters - something about not enough amps/power to start the motor. However, she can't lay the blame on the starter until the problem occurs and they can't re-create what I've been experiencing.

Last edited:
Seems like everything you are saying is leading to that starter or connections with the starter. I would really suggest replacing that starter you have now with another one and make sure all connections are clean and snug or tight. I can imagine what you have spent in tow truck call cost.

Seems like everything you are saying is leading to that starter or connections with the starter. I would really suggest replacing that starter you have now with another one and make sure all connections are clean and snug or tight. I can imagine what you have spent in tow truck call cost.

So far I've spent $115 in towing.

I picked up my car today from the dealer. They couldn't find anything wrong. 2 of their techs drove the car and it acted fine. The pulled the code from the car and they saw the TPS code that I got. They checked the TPS and they said it was working fine. The service lady told me that they pull that code every now and then on other cars, but when they test the TPS it turns out fine. They didn't charge me anything since there seemed to be no problems.

I started the car at the dealer with no issue. When I started driving away the car had a weird downshift like before. It happened as I let the foot of the gas and let the car coast. It corrected itself and went back to the proper gear. It happened again within 2 miles of driving from the dealer. After that, for the next 35 minutes driving home on surface streets, the car drove without any weird issues. I hope it starts tomorrow morning when I drive to meet my vanpool at the park-n-ride.

I need to find the receipt for the starter. It's either misplaced or the mobile mechanic in San Diego forgot to give it to me.

I love my P5, but she's being a PITA.

Last edited:
I drove my car around today stopping at several places. Car didn't give me any problems. I was about to head to Target, but the car wouldn't start again.

I've been reading some other threads about P5s not starting. Someone had suggested checking the alarm or kill switch. My dealer asked about the Starguard on my car and said that that might be the problem. The Starguard is basically a chip that I have to insert in order to start the car. Without it, it won't start. I rarely ever take it out. What do I need to check to see if that could be the issue? How do I bypass the Starguard or get rid of it altogether?

So 4 days ago I have my car towed to an auto electric shop. It was within the limit of my AAA membership so it didn't cost me anything. They checked my battery, the relays, the starter. Everything was good. They even pulled the starter and tested it and it was perfectly fine. It's a brand new starter that I was installed in February. Over the next 3 days, they tried to pinpoint the problem. They narrowed it down to a connection between the starter and the ignition switch. They replaced the wire which involved opening up the instrument cluster. Picked up my P5 after work and all seems well and good. I hope this is the last time I have to post about this problem. The other issue with the weird shifting didn't occur during the drive home. Hopefully my TPS is still good and won't have to deal with it. Haven't been able to drive my car for the past couple of weeks. Makes me realize how much I love her. Last Sunday I did go to an Acura dealership to peep out the TSX Sportwagon. Wow! It may be my next car sometime next year. Anyhow, problem solved.

Last edited:
Back