2nd gear tough to select when cold

Spooler

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 6
Hey Guys,

I am having some on and off issues with my 2nd gear. When cold the car is cold, it is difficult to select 2nd gear. Today I even had some difficulty with 1st gear. It seems to get better when the car warms up. No grind, just the rubbery felling you get when you can't get it into gear. I had the transmission oil replaced last week, but this is not the cause since this issue appeared ramdomly before that. I had my front motor mount replaced a few months back, the rear motor mount is stock (so is the rest of the car). I searched the forum with no luck. Any thoughts? Rear motor mount? Transmission mount? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Spooler

here's my .02 cents on this issue: it is what it is lol. i notice this frequently in my ms6 whenever i first get into it for the day. some guys will tell you it's the rmm and to get a new one. if you do get a new one, i've read that it will reduce the difficulty of shifting slightly but your car will vibrate like crazy when in neutral :/

Mine got worst lately. As the car warm up it becomes easier. I want to keep the car stock, if it's the RMM I will replace it with a stock one (yes, Sure and AWR are better, but I rather avoid the vibration since I have a young child). Keep the comments coming!

Any thoughts? The dealership said it could be the transmission bushings. I noticed it gets better as the car warms up, so I doubt it's the bushings.

My second gear has been notchy since the day I bought the car and I've seen it reported many times on here.

In fact, I had a note left on my car from another MSpeed6 owner who had questions about his second gear notchiness. Shifting at a higher RPM seems to help.

I agree with dterranova. I've had my tranny fluid replaced also, and it's still a little tough in the mornings when I leave. I think it's just how it is until it warms up. I doubt bad bushings would be the cause, why would that make a difference if it's fine after the car warms up?

Car is definitely better when car is warm or in warmer temperatures. It has been warmer over here lately and it has been much better. It feels harder to select, similar feeling as trying to select first gear when moving. What are the typical symptoms associated with bad tranny bushings?

Guy i worked with had this problem with 1st gear. Got to the point where he had to use all of his weight to force it into 1st. Ended up being something in the clutch pedal cylinder or assembly. Something weird I'd never heard of. Just a thought. (boom01)

Back