My new CX-5 is already in the shop :(

Barbaracj

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring w/tech package/red with sand int.
I have had my CX 5 for almost a month with no problems at all. Two days a go, I was stopped at a light and the car just turned off by itself. Then it happened again yesterday. I took it to the Mazda service dept and they had no idea what to do. After talking with the corporate techies, they didn't want me to drive the car. I have a loaner car and I have no idea when I'll get my car back.

Anyone else have this problem?

I miss my car!!

Sorry to hear about this unusual problem. Curious as to cause.

On the positive side, appears Mazda is taking it seriously. Will be good to know if its isolate issue or not.. keep us updated.

Things like this can be very hard to find or diagnose. If no resolution within two weeks ask for another new replacement vehicle.

With this being a new vehicle platform, they take all issues very seriously. Especially something that causes the car to die during use, that would require a mandatory recall if they discover something.

It was very graceful. I didn't even realize it was off until I hit the gas and there was none.

maybe you got one where it shuts the engine off at stoplights? Hehe

Still no Answers. Yesterday they were talking to Mazda in Japan.

OK I got my car back today. I must say that Mazda took this very seriously. They even had a guy come up from New Jersey to make sure the car was good. This is what they think it is and I am inclined to believe it. I am short so I had the steering wheel telescoped all the way in because I wanted the airbag as far away from me as possible. The ignition button was covered by the windshield washer lever. I would just put my hand under the lever to turn the car on and off. They think that I might have accidently hit the button when I was going for the windshield wiper. It is quite possible. They also showed me what happens when you are stopped and you press the button. It was identical to what happened to me. So.....I think the issue is solved.

My baaaad. But if it happens to one of you at least you will know what it's from.

Barbaracj - Thanks for reporting back, much appreciated. I'm glad your CX-5 is ok.

I did notice the wiper control stalk does visually block the starter button. Makes me suspect they have seen this happen before (not that they would say that).

Consider not adjusting steering wheel based on concerns about airbags. (These modern airbags are more intelligent and safer than older ones, to minimize injuries to driver.) Best to adjust steering wheel for comfort and control, to reduce the chance of crash and possible air bag deployment.

Last edited:
Back