A/C Compressor/Belt Delete

Krevzi_mp3

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
So my A/C compressor sounds like a coffee grinder, and since I never use it and don't have the money to replace it even if I did, I've been thinking of doing a compressor delete either using a shorter belt or removing the belt for the A/C and power steering systems all together. I could do it the hard way trying different belts with trial and error but that's what forums are for (whistle). So, my question is has anyone else done a compressor delete and if so which size belt did you use to run from the balancer to the power steering pump? Or if anyone has deleted that belt all together, how did it go and how does it feel without the power steering.

UPDATE: So I had an epiphany in the shop after I wrote this and some of the Protege 2.0L came without A/C and have a belt for just the power steering and crank. Anyone know if the orientation of the non-A/C belt is the same as the 2.0Ls with A/C. I only ask because i know on the 1.6Ls the power steering pump is closer to the crank and I haven't come across a 2.0L without A/C

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend no power steering as we have stiffer steering already. When my belt broke it was a b**** to turn. You could take a string go around the ps pulley and crank pulley and that will tell you how long of a belt you need autozone or advanced will have or get a belt in the size you need

Or any place that sells belts

Yeah I took the belt off on Saturday and drove it around and the steering is alright when you're moving but any slow speed turns its like turning a mill stone with your bare hands. I'm going to ordder in the belt for the non-A/C 2.0L and and see if it fits, if not i'll measure it out and get a belt thats the right length.

Were you ever able to find and install a belt to bypass the AC compressor?
My daughter has a 2001 626 LX with a seized and severely damaged clutch support bearing and I was hoping to just bypass the AC. It has the 2.0L engine and of course has power steering.
It looks as the tension adjustment is on the PS support.
It sure would be nice to now what belt fits, and if this "hack" has been done before.
Thanks in advance,
C

Yeah I took the belt off on Saturday and drove it around and the steering is alright when you're moving but any slow speed turns its like turning a mill stone with your bare hands. I'm going to ordder in the belt for the non-A/C 2.0L and and see if it fits, if not i'll measure it out and get a belt thats the right length.

Back