Adding Sub to factory system

Caspan

:
2013 Mazda CX-5
Well yesterday I picked up my CX-5 and man am I impressed. One thing I would like to do is put my 12" sub into this vehicle. I currently have all the old wiring and stuff from my old car, I talked to my local audio shop and they said that I would have to tap into my left and right using a box (i have no idea what this box is called) it would then give me RCA out and amp switch so that my amp will turn on with the car. Also I have called my local Mazda dealer and they are getting me some printouts for wiring for the factory stereo. I will post those when I have them for everyone else. So I wanted to let everyone else know I am going to post on here how I did things and how hard easy this was. I know I could pay someone $150 to do it for me, but I like doing this kind of stuff. The thing that scares the crap out of me is opening up my less then 24 hour old CX-5.

Any suggestions I will take them for a better way to get a sub into the vehicle or if anyone else has a wiring diagram. Also I have the base model with convenience package which gives me my Bluetooth and the touch screen radio.

I'm looking for the same information. I also just picked up my CX-5 a day ago.
dj

there's no 'lfe' adjustments if those are really 'subs' i wouldn't put much stock in that since its bose, adn we all know that its more about the name than the function (much like with apple)

It's more than an adequate system. Works well enough for me.
Not sure what computer systems you refer to when saying name versus function. I actually think Apple has pulled up socks over the past few years.

But as far as computer systems go, I'm more used to commercial computer systems like Sun, HP, IBM. Anything weighing more than me and 4 times the price of a CX-5.
Comparing my computer systems with PC's is like comparing a Gulfstream VI with a Cessna.

Saying that though, for someone like me used to commercial systems, only really feel comfortable with anything Unix based - so only Linux or Apples cut it for me.
Microsoft would be best dumping DOS for something Unix based themselves.

Okay I got what I think everyone is looking for. Attached are removal instructions for the stereo and wiring diagram for the CX-5 and Pin outs for the stereo. I will be looking at these and studying them to see the best way to make sure I am installing my sub correctly.

Attachments

• CX-5 Stereo Removal.pdf
    211.1 KB · Views: 1,582
  • CX-5 Wiring Diagram.pdf
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,199
Well I got my sub installed, using the diagrams for taking the stereo out I just tapped into the left and right rears. Ran my RCs and trigger wires down the drivers side of the veicle, in the rear there wasbuilt in ground for the chasie. It sounds awesome and the factory system is un-touced

How did you tap into the rear speakers? Your sub is Mono, correct? Did your bridge them (negative from one side and positive from the other)? It sounds like you used the high impedance lines on your sub amp since you tapped into the stereo outs. I have the Bose systems and need to figure out the best way to tap in. The front door speakers are the woofers. Plus, there is a seperate Bose amp (right side of the cabin behind the glove compartment I think. I don't know what kind of crossover filtering they may be doing and I'm unsure I want to bridge the front door woofers.

did you just use a regular sub box? i went to a place today and they quoted me 600+ for a custom box 10" and amp built into the area of the drivers side 'pocket' in the rear cargo area

How did you tap into the rear speakers? Your sub is Mono, correct? Did your bridge them (negative from one side and positive from the other)? It sounds like you used the high impedance lines on your sub amp since you tapped into the stereo outs. I have the Bose systems and need to figure out the best way to tap in. The front door speakers are the woofers. Plus, there is a seperate Bose amp (right side of the cabin behind the glove compartment I think. I don't know what kind of crossover filtering they may be doing and I'm unsure I want to bridge the front door woofers.

Yeah sorry I have the base model and do not have a Bose system and from what I have heard they have an amp some where in the car. I would believe you would have to tap into these lines I would expect before it is ampped. Call your local audio install shop and just ask them where you should tap in. Most places will normally help. I took the stereo signal from the car and then my output is bridged.

A custom box is really expensive for sure. I have just always been told to make sure you fire the sub towards you or away from you not left to right as the sound waves wont hit you properly. I have attached a picture of my setup.

IMG-20120428-00025.jpg

I think I payed about $800 CDN for a 420 Watt amp and I think a 350 Watt sub and wiring kit. They can be a bit expensive but worth the bass. As you can see there is still tons of room with that box in there.

I'd recommend tapping it right after the headunit. I assume the bose systems have an amplifier and it's probably best if you grab the signal before the bose does it's "magic" on the audio signals.
Most bose units I've seen go from headunit->amp->speakers.

congrats on your setup Caspan. looks good. Just wondering , that ported box looks quite small for a 12 inch. What frequency is the the box tuned to and how is the lowend bass?

I'd recommend tapping it right after the headunit. I assume the bose systems have an amplifier and it's probably best if you grab the signal before the bose does it's "magic" on the audio signals.
Most bose units I've seen go from headunit->amp->speakers.

I would agree I have heard that you are dropping the level of the output by tapping into it, just like if you plug 2 headphones into your iPod. Just make sure you talk to a professional that this will not effect the quality of signal expected by the Bose system

congrats on your setup Caspan. looks good. Just wondering , that ported box looks quite small for a 12 inch. What frequency is the the box tuned to and how is the lowend bass?

That is a great question and one that I cannot answer. LOL I bought it as a package for the Speaker, Box and Amp. This does not mean they were meant for each other but the place where I bought it from are very knowledgeable guys and I cannot see them selling something it was not designed for. And I believe the Box was built for this speaker in mind. Again could be wrong but believe me in my Protege 5 this thing shock the car, now in the CX-5 it is different. I can barley see out the rear view mirror when bass hits because it's shaking so much but the bass does not seem as deep to my ears in the CX-5. Again we are talking a lot more room in the CX-5 for sounds waves to bounce around. it still sounds good!

When you tapped in using the Line Out Ocnverter, did the facotry wiring follow the purple, green, gray and white wiring standard most aftermarket radios follow for Left Front, Right Front, Left Rear, Right Rear?

Also, if anyone is interested, Metra has some stuff for the CX5. (http://www.metraonline.com) They show a factory wiring harness for 01 and up Mazdas. http://www.metraonline.com/part/Mazda_wire+harness_71-7903 This harness matches the AUDIO UNIT 0920-201A connector in the audio system wiring diagrams I got from the dealer. (attached)

Attachments

• CX5AudioSysWiring2.jpg
    CX5AudioSysWiring2.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 1,198
  • CX5AudioSysWiring1small.jpg
    CX5AudioSysWiring1small.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 2,463
To be honest now I do not remember even looking at the colors. I just looked at the pin outs and tested my guess by cutting the wire and that speaker went out. Sorry I cannot be more help. Take your unit out if you have 5 minutes and have a look.

Splicing line-out converter

I have a 2013 CX-5 Touring w the Bose 9 speaker system. What color are the rear right and left pos and neg wires? I have tried figuring it from the diagrams posted earlier but I'm just not sure.

Back