Slotege KLZE Swap Thread Take #2

I swapped the 2.5l linkage on the kl31 throttle body for the linkage from the 2.0l FS throttle body. It definitely wouldnt clear with outlaw spacers, but thats fine, because they dont do much anyways.

Hi,
Beautiful project, I am currently finishing mine on my 2000.

I have a question, how did you take to the radiator support. Do you have pictures?

And your dakota .. how did you programmed?

thank you

And your car is a model for me!

I would have pull my cluster out to check the dakota. As for teh radiator I will have pictures of what we did for it tonight/tomorrow. We have to change my radiator tonight due to the harmonic balancer taking it out when it broke this past weekend. I can tell you that my friend made brackets to slide into the protege mount locations and we riveted them onto the bottom of the mx6 radiator. Then on the passenger side you have to cut the headlight housing a bit for the coolant hose to pass by. the 01-03 guys do not have to do this if I recall.

Update on the swap. Its coming up on its 3 year anniversary and just a tad bit over 60k miles on the swap. No problems with the engine yet, and the 98 626 trans with mfactory lsd seems to be holding much better than the last two trans with the MSP LSD did. Averaging 26mpg for my daily commute of 1.6miles each way and 30-31mpg on the highway trips.

905352_10151478019318138_1428370622_o.jpg

Hi mate, I'm new in this world, I'm from Colombia and I'm living in Australia so my english is not the best, I gOt a protege hatchback 2000 and I would like to do the engine swap for a 2.5 v6 mx6 klde, but I'm planing to buy the hole car, take the parts that I need and the rest sale them, in that way is cheaper for me, do you have any recommendation?

if you can find a good donor car, then it is by far the cheapest route. I did not have the space for a donor car, and I also wanted the straight neck KLZE not a klde

Really? First page says I modified the TB to have the 2.0l Protege TB Throttle linkage. This eliminates the big throttle linkage on the the KL31 TB. You have to figure out a way to keep the linkage from going past WOT. We did his with a bead of weld.

And what do you mean you have a 3rd gen tho? I have one of the original 3rd gens. 99-00 started the 3rd gen. 01 it got a face lift and some interior differences.

You can use the single throttle linkage from the K8 TB also. Thats what Pile of rd1 did when he ran the straight neck mani on his KLZE MX3.

Yeah basically all the mazda throttle linkages are swappable, just a nut and washer holds it on.

In order to remove the large linkage from the TB you remove the throttle stop from the TB. Without that the throttle plate will go past being horizontal (WOT). Also, risk breaking the TPS. So you need to rig up a way to prevent the linkage from going past WOT.

This is probably a dumb outlandish question, but I have a aftermarket corksport radiator for my mp3 and was wanting to know will it fit with the ze engine? It looks like it wouldn't sadly but I thought I would double check.

Unfortunately, not without customizing the inlet/outlets. They are reversed on the KL motors to the FS motors. I had a shop weld extensions onto my Mishimoto radiator so I could run elbows and couplers to the KL motor while using a bolt in P5 radiator.

I gotcha, thank you sir.
Well that's not to bad, at least there is a option in saving my newly bought radiator.

I have a P5. Im guessin the amount of room under the hood is the same. You mentioned that the probe guys are running turbos on the more stock K motors... Is there enough room to turbo the K in my P5. Id rather save the money to have to build up the four and have a lightly boosted K motor.
Thoughts?

The p5 is the same from the rear doors forward as the sedans. So, the same amount of room in the engine bay. There is plenty of room, but may need to modify the cross member that the front engine mount is attached to. Comparing a KL swapped protege to a PGT or MX6, we end up with a lot more real estate around the engine than they do.

hey im new at this site i have a mazda protege5 2002 and looking foward to do a klze swap but i got questions on what do i need to make that happen is there any major things that needs to be done ?

Back