Is the CX-9 going to get Skyactiv 4 cylinder engine for 2013 ?

satwar

Some news clips showing up in the past few days that Skyactiv program will not include a V-6. Mazda is apparently moving towards an all 4 cylinder lineup, with CX-9 having a turbocharged 4 cylinder as base engine. I'm assuming V-6 will still be an option at the Grand Touring level. Would a turbocharged 4 have enough power for towing ?

yeah i've been wondering the same. what will be the next model after CX-5 for the Skyactiv engine? I heard its gonna be the M6, hoping CX-9 will also coming soon...(whistle)

That motor in the CX-5 is really pretty weak. CX-9 is much heavier, requires alot more torque & displacement. I think as long as it gets a V6 with direct injection, that will make plenty of folks happy. If ours now are 22mpg, I'd imagine direct injection could yield closer to 30 which will be competitive in the industry. Turbocharged 4 is too small for the CX-9. If you look at smaller SUV's with little turbo engines, such as the Acura RDX or Audi Q5, those are quite a bit smaller.

I don't see a 4 banger in a CX-9, even with a turbo, it's just too heavy.

How about a 6.0 Bi-Turbo Diesel pushing 500hp like the Q7? mmmmmmmm

Two articles citing a discussion with Robert Davis:

"Currently, the Japanese carmakers offers a larger V6 engine on its Mazda6 sedan and CX-9 crossover, but that won't be the case with their successors. Speaking to Car & Driver magazine, Robert Davis, Mazda’s senior vice president of U.S. Operations, told the publication that it has no plans to develop a next generation V6 under it SkyActive program.

Instead, it will focus on making its larger cars lighter and offer turbocharged versions of its four-cylinder engines."

"Like Volvo, Mazda appears to be moving towards an all-four-cylinder lineup. There are no plans to replace the V-6 engine currently used in the Mazda6 sedan and Mazda CX-9 crossover, and no SkyActiv six-cylinder is currently under development.

Instead, the next Mazda6 will be powered exclusively by four-cylinder engines (including the expected Mazda6 Hybrid), while the larger CX-9 will likely get a turbocharged four-cylinder as its base engine."

The first article worried me, but the second article held out some hope of retaining the option of a V-6.

Last edited:
Take Ford's EcoBoot 2L for example, it develops 240hp/270ft-lb on Explorer.
That is the same torque with 33hp less than current MZI 3.7L.
If Mazda increases the displacement to 2.2L (bigger bore), a 2.2L Turbo could safely
hit 262hp/297ft-lb by linear projection. That is comparable to current MZI 3.7 with
better EPA rating (around 20/28mpg for Exporer, maybe the same for CX9)

Last edited:
But isn't that same ecoboost motor getting lambasted in most reviews for being under powered for such a large / heavy vehicle. Most reviews I have read state that the ecoboost is sluggish and unresponsive in the new Explorer, but it appears to be just right for the soon to be released new Escape.

An under powered SUV is a terrible thing to drive. MY 84 S-10 Blazer 4x4 with the 2.8 was the most underwhelming vehicle I have ever driven. It could only do 40mph uphill with the pedal all the way down and taking a run at it. I actually got out of a speeding ticket because the magistrate had the same exact Blazer and knew that you had to take a run at any hill in order to maintain your speed. He actually waived the ticket and let me off without any penalty at all.

I would hope that if Mazda intends to keep the CX9 ( and not replace it with a newer \ smaller model like they did with the CX7 ) then they should leave the 3.7 alone or develop a new motor to replace it. If mileage is their top priority, then they should go with a TDI option. They would be the only manufacturer in the country to offer a S\CUV with a 3rd row and a turbo diesel. That IMHO is the biggest mistake VW made with the Toureg only being a 5-seater. Add the 3rd row with the TDI and it would be an undeniable class leader in almost category.

Imagine a vehicle with all of the CX9's many positive attributes + the torque and mileage of a TDI. Maybe add in start-stop tech and cylinder deactivation.You would have an AWD 7-seater, that is fun to drive, can get 30+mpg avg, and can pull 6000lbs if needed. I'd be first in line to buy one tomorrow.

Probably won't happen but we can dream can't we?

Which is why my bet is on the next cx-9 having either a direct injection V6, turbo 5 cylinder direct inject, turbo small direct injet V6, something like that. Who wants to wager? lol

I am all for a V6 really.

However, Mazda is a company that lost lots of $$$ last year.
They insisted production in Japan and the rising Yen really hurt them.
Mazda is opening a new factory in Mexico to counter that.

That said, you know that they are short on cash.
It is likely that they will not develop a new Skyactiv V6.
The CA 35mpg initiative for any automaker also discourages them to develop a big V6 since
they have no hybrids or electric vehicles to balance it out. (or face big fines)
I do believe that a 2.4L Turbo DI engine is good enough for CX9. We will see.
A non-turbo DI engine is also good for MMC for CX5 since it is widely criticized
for lack of power when it is really needed (such as going uphill when fully loaded).....
A 2.4L DI can hit close to 190hp with 190ft-lb.
On CX5 forum, owners are very happy about the MPG they are getting.
That is really good news from Mazda's Skyactiv technology. Something to look forward to.

The sluggishness in EcoBoost could be from many reasons.
The turbo on BMW is fantastic due to its dual sequential smaller turbos to reduce lag.
It all depends on how the turbo is implemented. I am sure Mazda will not
use Ford's design of turbo. I cited Ford's numbers for sake of comparison only.

Don't need much for cruising, but accelerating at highway speeds is another matter. Having a lot of gears in the transmission should help a diesel stay in its power band.

You will have a hard time accelerating with 173HP... says 11 secs to 60mph. Even Prius will beat you up the ramp....
I will be interested in Skyactiv-D only if it is 3L. I rode in my brother's Audi Q7 3L-D. It is potent. Q7 is about the same
size as CX9, even though heavier.

Anyway, the article did not mention any gasoline engine choices. I doubt Mazda will skip Skyactiv-G for CX9 altogether.
At least 80% customers will still go for G engines in US.

2014 CX9 FMC (come late 2013)
2.4L Skyactiv-G with (twin sequential?) turbo (my guess)
2.2L Skyactiv-D is an alternative (MotorTrend)

Well a CX-9 is probably in my future for the 2013 model year and I wasn't looking forward to diving into a new drive train. Looks like I won't have to worry, because big changes won't happen until the 2014 model year.

This news today confirms that there will be no V6 for next Mazda 6, which is the only other
model in Mazda lineup that uses V6 than CX9. Now that Mazda6 will not have a V6 option,
the chance of next CX9 with V6 option is nearly zero.

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/mazda6-casts-out-v6-engines-in-favor-of-four-cylinders-for-2014-model/

You are probably right on this but I hope that they come to their senses. It makes sense for the mazda6 to go to a all 4 banger line up as most mid size sedans are going that same route.

I cannot believe that the pilot,traverse, explorer, pathfinder,etc. will switch to a 4 cylinder platform. Even with TDI that is too much mass for the limited amount of HP available. Unless they dramatically lower the weight / cut the size of the CX9 it will be very underpowered.

Maybe Mazda will partner up with someone to gain access to a new V6 and not have to develop their own engine. Similar to what Toyota and Subaru did with the Frs / brz.

Anyone else miss the days when cars had real names instead of part numbers?

You will have a hard time accelerating with 173HP... says 11 secs to 60mph.

I have that diesel engine on my CX-5. It's damn quick on both standing start and highway acceleration. Completely effortless on the highway. Overtaking is a mere thought with no pedal mashing required.

In Australia (not unlike the US), the need to overtake double and triples (trucks) on the highway is a must. Around where I live, B-doubles are common place.
But Australia has the world's longest trucks (imagine - 7 trailers is legal in Australia - with lengths.
Imagine overtaking one of these beasts.
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_train)

Anyway.... needless to say, a lighter weight CX-9 with a higher rated version of this diesel would not be underpowered.

zda is a company that lost lots of $$$ last year.
They insisted production in Japan and the rising Yen really hurt them.
Mazda is opening a new factory in Mexico to counter that.

That said, you know that they are short on cash.

The "loss" was due to their massive investment in the Skyactiv technologies.
They've spent over $2 billion just on R&D into the technologies and hoping it will be an investment that bears fruit.

This R&D was poorly timed with Ford's exit, but is a necessarily evil to compete with larger Japanese firms like Toyota and Honda, and foreign companies like Hyundai which is now much larger than Mazda.

Torque is one thing, horsepower is quite another.
H = T * RPM.
H = T at 5252 rpm (horsepower vs ft-lb).

Big torque is good for overtaking (50-70mph) and hauling heavy load.
Acceleration is still dictated by horsepower.

Mazda's investment in Skyactiv is the right move.
It puts Mazda ahead of Honda/Toyota in small engine powertrain.

Last edited:
So the Ford Flex is gaining an optional V6 Turbo Ecoboost making nearly 400hp. (like 383 or something) Just read this in a magazine this morning. (don't ask what I was doing).

Back