Need help with Motor swap

yamabuddha

:
MPS
Ok, so I spun a bearing and don't think I have the know how to fix it (even with a mechanic's help). In any case, I think I'm just going to do an engine swap instead. Unless you guys think it would be more cost effective to just replace the bearings and crankshaft. I know the engine in the MSP is a FS-DE 2.0L and I have found one with less than 50K and rebuild. My question is, what else would I need to do the swap out or any advice on stuff to replace while the engine is out? I guess I'm going to have to use the trans I have on my car and was thinking of putting a new clutch in while it's out of the car. Other than fluids, is there anything else? Would I need any particular seals? Any parts that just have to be replaced since it's going to be a different engine?

On a side note, ALLWAYS check your oil on a weekly basis, don't end up like me! :D

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
http://www.mp5t.com/?page_id=272

Bearing is easy once the motor is out of the car.

Is does not even require to remove the head.

Effectively you dont even need to fully remove the engine.. Just need to move the transmission over to gain access to the windage tray, (Which is above the oil pan.)

Once the tray is off, you will be able to remove the main caps and change the bearings.

They are tight tolerance and you can not do this outside in the dust, no matter how careful you are..

2.jpg

Thanks for the information. So, what your saying is to try repairing what I have before investing in a whole new engine?

yes i would pull the engine out and take it apart...if your lucky the spun bearing didnt take the crank out of spec. if you decide to dig in and rip it apart, do yourself a favor and get a couple boxes of sandwich bags and a sharpie and label every bag for each part you take off, mark your main caps etc. But if you don't want to actually rip the motor apart you could just grab a long block thats in good shape and just do a swap.

Yea make sure you would use some assembly lube when installing bearings. And if you swap the engine, make sure you at least swap the cam and crank pulleys which are different. Depending on the year of the the new engine you would get you might want to swap cranks because the older 2.0's do not have forged cranks. So then you are back to tearing apart 2 motors then. I cant remember if the camshafts themselves have different specs or not to where you need to change cams also. If anyone else has info on that to correct or verify on that.

SO, after over a month now of searching, I can't find an engine replacement for my car :(..... This leads me to some questions for you guys. Would it be feasible to just buy a new crankshaft and bearings? Or take mine out and go get it machined? If I take it out to get machined, what is the likelyhood of me spinning a bearing again? Given that I buy overside bearings to go with the machined crank? If I was to buy a new crank/bearings, would I have to buy anything else or just pop out the old, put in the new one? I found a site that sells new cranks and bearings for $800, is that a reasonable price? Thank you guys!

Any help would be great, I'm at my wits end over this...

Back