FYI: Lowered 2 and no alignment?

kcdirtbro54

:
mazda2
So you want to lower your 2, or already did and don't want to align it or are waiting (for some reason) to align it...

I lowered my 2 a couple months ago with the Eibach Pro Kit and I did NOT use camber bolts. Yes I know that the Pro kit is one of the more mellow drops out there, but consider this a starting point for spring and coilover kits that drop your 2 even more.

Below are Before alignment and After alignment adjustment specs of my 2.
This is a 2011 Mazda 2 Sport with just over 5k miles. It has been lowered since about 1 or 2k miles. I don't have any irregular tire wear and most likely won't due to the alignment being in check now and I will be rotating my tires every other oil change (or every, just depends on my laziness).

BEFORE
before.jpg

As you can see, the only thing out of spec is the front toe. And both toe readings are out the same amount. For those not familiar with alignment specs, both front tires were angled out like \ / instead of l l . This will cause inner tire wear NOT camber in this situation.

AFTER
after.jpg

Take your 21mm and 13mm wrenches and adjust your tie rods to spec.
Please note my final toe specs are not at 0. Toe specs for our cars is -0.04 to +0.36 which means I tried to set my final specs to the middle right at +0.16 which I got on one side and came close on the other. The car drove straight before but drives even better now.
2nd note: Notice Camber is within specs. AND rear specs are all in the green.

Just thought I would post specs of my alignment to help people out that don't have access to alignment racks and aren't able to do it themselves. Basically, if you lower, please get it aligned. I would have done mine sooner, just haven't felt like doing it until our shop got a new alignment rack and machine.(idhitit)

Questions?

Do you think that a bigger drop like that of the H&R springs would need camber bolts to align correctly?

Honestly, I cant say for 100% sure. If it were me, I would align it without the bolts first and see where my camber specs were at since TOE is the main concern here. Seeing where my camber specs are up front with a 1.2" drop and H&Rs only drop another 1/2" or something, I would think that you would still be within specs, but closer to the limits of specs.

The toe on the front was the only thing out of spec for me as well when I had it aligned. Eibach's here too.

After lowering mine with H&Rs i've noticed a little bit of wear on the rear right tire only(strange). I think an alignment is def in order.

We recommend getting an alignment for anyone lowering a car, toe being off can really tear up some tires.

-Derrick

Yup. It looks like you had some toe-out which became some toe-in after lowering. You got lucky. If you had a little toe-in to start, you'd now have a lot of toe-in and tires would get chewed up.

John

Hopefully people will see that once they lower their car, that they need an alignment no matter how straight the car drives pre-alignment. If you don't have a hook up at a shop or aren't a tech, just spend the 70-90 bucks for an alignment and have it done. Pay now or pay a lot more later when you have to replace your tires prematurely.

after lowering my car 4" inches initially i was at...

1.2 degrees positive front camber and 2.5" toe out.... it was insane! camber bolts def helped me get a proper alignment!

an alignment is a MUST when lowering a car. DO NOT take shortcuts and avoid that s***

Back