CX-5 Roof Racks

What's everyone's imput on fitkits that sit on the rain gutter with custom feet and then clip down into the door frame?

Is this type of rack really that much more limited?

I want to be able to potentially put kayacks up or snowboards or cargo boxes in the future.

This kit specifically?
http://www.rackoutfitters.com/mazda-cx-5-thule-rapid-traverse-black-aeroblade-roof-rack-12-15/

Advantage to the Clip system is the base system can adapt to a great variety of vehicles. Also the rack will sit further forward on the car so you'll have less chance of interference with kayaks or cargo boxes hitting the hatch. Also faster to take the rack system on and off the car after the initial setup.

Disadvantage is the potential to mar the paint. I make a point to clean the roof on a regular basis to keep road dust from working it's way under the tower pads. They can also be fussier to fit to the car since they are tested to sit at specific points on the roof. The raised rail attachments and fixed points attachments are easy to setup initially.

Now regarding the Thule Aeroblade kit you mention, look at the specs, 110 lbs capacity, 27" distance from the front to the rear bars. That's fine for snowboards but close to marginal for kayaks. Most kayaks are 50-60 lbs, and you want the longest barspread possible, 24" is considered the minimum for kayaks/canoes/paddleboards.

A Yakima Q tower system that "clips" onto the CX5 has a 125lb weight limit and is 32" between the bars. Much better scenario for carrying kayaks. Yes with just the bars the Aeroblade will be quieter but once you add mounts to the bars, windnoise will be there no matter what.

I'm a independent sales rep for Yakima and could go into many other reasons to buy Yakima but for carrying kayaks, barspread and weight capacity are significant specs to look at and compare.

I'm a independent sales rep for Yakima and could go into many other reasons to buy Yakima but for carrying kayaks, barspread and weight capacity are significant specs to look at and compare

rjdee, your a rep for Yakima, cool! I am wondering if Yakima has any options for adding the Whispbar system to the CX-5? I'd really like to get the flushbar system for my car and use the attachment points that are under the weather strips in the roof. I'm thinking I could drill a small hole in the weather strip to allow access to the threaded part and use a fit kit to secure it. Do you know if this would possible?

Advantage to the Clip system is the base system can adapt to a great variety of vehicles. Also the rack will sit further forward on the car so you'll have less chance of interference with kayaks or cargo boxes hitting the hatch. Also faster to take the rack system on and off the car after the initial setup.

Disadvantage is the potential to mar the paint. I make a point to clean the roof on a regular basis to keep road dust from working it's way under the tower pads. They can also be fussier to fit to the car since they are tested to sit at specific points on the roof. The raised rail attachments and fixed points attachments are easy to setup initially.

Now regarding the Thule Aeroblade kit you mention, look at the specs, 110 lbs capacity, 27" distance from the front to the rear bars. That's fine for snowboards but close to marginal for kayaks. Most kayaks are 50-60 lbs, and you want the longest barspread possible, 24" is considered the minimum for kayaks/canoes/paddleboards.

A Yakima Q tower system that "clips" onto the CX5 has a 125lb weight limit and is 32" between the bars. Much better scenario for carrying kayaks. Yes with just the bars the Aeroblade will be quieter but once you add mounts to the bars, windnoise will be there no matter what.

I'm a independent sales rep for Yakima and could go into many other reasons to buy Yakima but for carrying kayaks, barspread and weight capacity are significant specs to look at and compare.

I'm looking to place an order today, could you send me a pm with what Yakima has to offer?

Those are important specs you're right. I am worried about the 27"-28" distance in between crossbars for thule but was told that is average for roofracks.

Also another concern of mine is the circle cross bars. My issue with them is the belief that most mounting accessories will have a much harder time staying secure on round bar rather than a oval or square bar. I would think that most things will want to tilt forward or backwards because it is round.

Last edited:
Has anyone modified their existing roof molding so that they can install a direct mount roof rack. I can purchase the pre drilled moldings for about $70, but if the solid ones can just be drilled out, I'd rather save that money. 2016 cx-5 Sport

Thanks

I was happy with the Rola fixed mount bars I got for my 2011 Mazda3 hatch, so when I saw the Rola 59767 on sale a few days ago, I ordered it for my CX-5. Should be arriving any day now. Unfortunately it's not fixed point, it uses clips.

I was going to get the factory rails and cross bars but due to the placement of the crossbars, I can't use my Yakima Skybox 16 on it. I thought about getting another rooftop box, but most that are long enough to fit skis won't fit the factory rails and crossbars. That's why I went with the Rola, but am now having buyer's remorse. Will report back once I get them and install it.

I was wondering if someone could measure the bolts used in the stock rail to bolt to the roof. I bought a used set of rails and bars and the dealer did not keep the bolts and mazda does not list the size of them anywhere.. And my dealer can't/won't tell me. Thanks..
2015 cx5

Hey, I know, old topic but, have the 2012 KE cx5 and it's a GT so has a sunroof which I barely use, but I do occasionally. Need roof racks because when doing long trips I need extra space and if I do put Mazda racks sunroof cannot be operated (I guess cannot be tilted only but can still be opened). Since I will only be using the roof racks when needed, is it quick to install/remove them when needed?

I was happy with the Rola fixed mount bars I got for my 2011 Mazda3 hatch, so when I saw the Rola 59767 on sale a few days ago, I ordered it for my CX-5. Should be arriving any day now. Unfortunately it's not fixed point, it uses clips.

I was going to get the factory rails and cross bars but due to the placement of the crossbars, I can't use my Yakima Skybox 16 on it. I thought about getting another rooftop box, but most that are long enough to fit skis won't fit the factory rails and crossbars. That's why I went with the Rola, but am now having buyer's remorse. Will report back once I get them and install it.

Any reason to go with the rain gutter strap mount vs the fixed points on the car? Seems like this mounting method is a "last resort" when the car has no provisions for a roof rack.

I can remove or reinstall my rack ('16 ) hardware in 10-15 mins.

I don't think the rain gutter on modern cars would hold securely enough without straps.

Yesterday I bought and installed KD45-V4-701 on my Mazda CX-5 (2016). I also put my old Thule ProRide 591 on it. A question - how many bike mounts can be installed on KD45-V4-701? Two isn't a problem as I did see, but what about three of them?

Back