CX-5 Roof Racks

Just mounted my OEM crossbars and my old roof box. Aesthetically not bad IMHO and not so difficult/slow to mount and dismount.

What part number is that loximoto?
Those look like the OEM crossbars for a Mazda3, I havent seen those on a CX5 yet.

The part number is KD45-V4-701 and it should be proper of the european CX-5 version. But, looking in the Mazda 3 (old version) accessories site, it seems to me they're the same.
http://www.mazda.it/acquisto-e-servizio-clienti/accessori/mazda3/2011-07/trasporti/BDA1V4701/
http://www.mazda.it/acquisto-e-servizio-clienti/accessori/mazda-cx-5/2011-11/trasporti/KD45V4701/

It's interesting to note that the crossbars for the 2013 version of Mazda 3 are different (uglier in my opinion).
http://www.mazda.it/acquisto-e-servizio-clienti/accessori/mazda3/2013-05/trasporti/BHS2V4701/

I read somewhere (maybe in another page of this thread) that the distances between the fixed-point mounting holes on the roof are different in US and Canada version of Cx-5 and so I don't know if my model of crossbars can be mounted on your cars.

Hmm, from loximoto's photos, it looks like the rear mounting points are in different locations for EU vs US roofs. Too bad, as I prefer the EU roof rack.

loximoto, I don't know if you installed the racks yourself, but do you remember if the front and rear racks were the same size? Or was one longer than the other?

I have the OEM rails and crossbars on my 2014 CX-5. I purchased the Yakima Universal Mighty Mounts to put my Big Powderhound snowboard rack on, and my snowboard now barely fits in between the two crossbars. I have them extended as far apart as possible. Kind of sad, because I could fit anything with no issues on my Mazda 3 with my full Yakima setup. Going to play around with the angle of the Universal Mighty Mounts now.

Anybody in LA area wants a pair of side rails for $200? I would need your trim pieces also. I like the CX5 without them.

loximoto, I don't know if you installed the racks yourself, but do you remember if the front and rear racks were the same size? Or was one longer than the other?

Front racks are shorter than rear ones. I didn't measure the difference but I suppose it should be about 2 inches.

Bumping this one to the top. I'm looking for a rack system for ski/snowboards and surfboards in the summer time. I'm thinking of going with the Mazda package as long as the crossbars are easily removable. $250 for the rails and $125 for the crossbars seems reasonable. If I got the Mazda rails for $250, I'd be looking about about $350-450 additional for the Thule or Yakima crossbars. That is, unless anyone else has a better and more affordable idea.

Anybody in LA area wants a pair of side rails for $200? I would need your trim pieces also. I like the CX5 without them.

Exactly how I like it too, smooth top, which is how mine is equipped.

Recently I noticed some dealers are adding racks to all CX-5 inventory.

I bought some and they are getting repainted right now. Gonna grab them on Thursday to make sure they had ample time to cure. Hopefully they don't look bad.

Bumping this one to the top. I'm looking for a rack system for ski/snowboards and surfboards in the summer time. I'm thinking of going with the Mazda package as long as the crossbars are easily removable. $250 for the rails and $125 for the crossbars seems reasonable. If I got the Mazda rails for $250, I'd be looking about about $350-450 additional for the Thule or Yakima crossbars. That is, unless anyone else has a better and more affordable idea.

If anyone is interested I have a set of 4 Yakima Q Towers with locks and clips for a CX5 for sale.
crossbars not included.

PM me for details.
Thx

Just mounted my OEM crossbars and my old roof box. Aesthetically not bad IMHO and not so difficult/slow to mount and dismount.

Thank you for posting photos.
I'm considering buying those Mazda bars as well. Could you tell me your roof box length? Is it 140 cm? Looks great.

Factory rails and crossbars are a very easy install though you need wire snips or a hacksaw to take the pieces out of the rail covers. Fully doable from none to full setup in an hour. I would recommend factory for looks alone. Cross bars are adjustable back and forth though I've had one of the hand-turn screws come out and be lost forever.

My only real complaint with rack design in general on the CX-5 is that they are NOT designed for skis. Sure you can put a ski rack on, but don't plan on opening the hatch while they're up there unless you want to scratch the hell out of your gate spoiler. This is a seriously poor design that should be looked at.

I notice the OEM rails don't allow mounting the front crossbar very far forward so as to not interfere with the moonroof; as I do not have a moonroof I'm wondering if there are any rail options that would allow a more forward position for the forward bar? I would prefer a longer span between crossbars without having to move the rear bar so far back it interferes with the hatch.

I guess I could go with individual towers, but I'd like the versatility of rails.

I notice the OEM rails don't allow mounting the front crossbar very far forward so as to not interfere with the moonroof; as I do not have a moonroof I'm wondering if there are any rail options that would allow a more forward position for the forward bar? I would prefer a longer span between crossbars without having to move the rear bar so far back it interferes with the hatch.

I guess I could go with individual towers, but I'd like the versatility of rails.

You'll have to do a custom system if you want to increase the bar spread. A basic tower system from Yakima or Thule will move the bar forward and be easy to use but it will look like an add-on. Whispbar makes a Flush bar system which looks very OEM but their isnt a "naked roof" fit for the CX5 yet.
I installed a track to the roof which gives me the custom features and adjustability I want but still looks OEM. You do have to drill the roof but you don't have to drop the headliner. This is the 3rd personal vehicle that I've tracked. This is a Whispbar bar system but I could also mount a Yakima bar system to the tracks as well. It's also stronger than OEM and most aftermarket setups.
IMAG1040.jpg

IMG_20131117_143407_477.jpg

I saw that when you posted it earlier and it looks totally cool, I just.... not sure I'm ready to drill into the roof of my one week old CX-5, you know? I wish someone made a rail that uses the existing attachment points that would allow for more forward extension. Mazda OEM looks like it expends a lot of real estate on that front bracket, so that the usable rail doesn't start for a good 8"-10" back. Maybe that's the best that can be done while keeping things reasonably sturdy.

Did you have your rails professionally installed or did you do it yourself? I watched a video of those or similar rails being installed, and it looks like it just takes careful layout and the right drill bits, plus a pop-rivet type tool to mushroom the fasteners.

Another thing that occurred to me is to get something with a low-profile foot and leave those installed, so I could clip the towers/cross-bars on just when I need them. Not sure how four little stubs on the roof would look, though. Anyone doing that that might have pictures?

Another thing that occurred to me is to get something with a low-profile foot and leave those installed, so I could clip the towers/cross-bars on just when I need them. Not sure how four little stubs on the roof would look, though. Anyone doing that that might have pictures?

I had a Yakima Control Tower setup on my CX5 last summer that I used for bikes and my kayak or paddleboard. It is very easy to take the rack off leaving just the landing pads behind so you can still go through the car wash, as well as not having to deal with additional wind noise etcetera while driving. I don't think I have any pictures and I've since gone to a hitch-mounted bike rack since I got rid of the kayak and SUP, but it didn't look that bad without the rack on it. The only caveat is that with the yakima control tower setup you will not be able to use a standard bike tray due to the distance between the crossbars. I used Yakima Boa bike mounts and was very happy with that setup.
If I remember correcly I had 48" crossbars and #11 landing pads.

Addabox,
You could do a "hybrid" system. Use a Qtower bar system up front and then use either the factory bar or a Railgrab bar setup in the back on the factory rails. The Qtower is really fast to take on/off as needed. The Railgrab takes a bit longer. That would be adjustable and move the front bar forward on the car. You'd have a height difference to work out if you did a Q tower and Factory bar.

Here's a pic of a Q tower on a CX5 w Raised rails. You can see how much further forward the front bar is positioned. Any system using the factory rails will position the forward bar over the B pillar.
mediumlarge

Back