Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roof Racks

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 GT

Sorry to double-post, but quick positive shout out for ParkMazdaOEMParts on eBay - just bought rack/rails from them, they shipped within 24 hours, and all for $313. Other stock accessories there for MUCH cheaper than my dealerships here. Dealer I bought from wanted $650 and next closest wanted close to $900 (what a rip). Instructions were included: all you need is a flat-head screwdriver, 10mm socket wrench, a Torx bit for a screwdriver (my el cheapo bit set labeled its size as a "T20" which worked fine but I'm not claming that's "exact fit" for the screw, but awful close, if not), and something to cut the metal/rubber/plastic "gutter guards" that are in your roof now (to make space for the 'feet' of the rack...I used my Dremel but wished I had an appropriate blade on my circular saw). I am very slow at installing such things and I did it all in about 60 minutes, maybe a handful more. Glad I saved hundreds on dealer fees, too, as I see nothing wrong with my installation.

My instructions were missing a step FWIW as well: didn't mention to screw the 'feet' to the 'arms' of the rack with those crazy screws... but observing all the components provided and adding 2+2 helped fill in the blanks.

Registered Member

Pearl White AWD GT w/Tech

sounds good thanks for the headsup. Any issues with wind noise now that you have added the rack?

Quote Originally Posted by Puja McGriddle View Post
    Sorry to double-post, but quick positive shout out for ParkMazdaOEMParts on eBay - just bought rack/rails from them, they shipped within 24 hours, and all for $313. Other stock accessories there for MUCH cheaper than my dealerships here. Dealer I bought from wanted $650 and next closest wanted close to $900 (what a rip). Instructions were included: all you need is a flat-head screwdriver, 10mm socket wrench, a Torx bit for a screwdriver (my el cheapo bit set labeled its size as a "T20" which worked fine but I'm not claming that's "exact fit" for the screw, but awful close, if not), and something to cut the metal/rubber/plastic "gutter guards" that are in your roof now (to make space for the 'feet' of the rack...I used my Dremel but wished I had an appropriate blade on my circular saw). I am very slow at installing such things and I did it all in about 60 minutes, maybe a handful more. Glad I saved hundreds on dealer fees, too, as I see nothing wrong with my installation.

My instructions were missing a step FWIW as well: didn't mention to screw the 'feet' to the 'arms' of the rack with those crazy screws... but observing all the components provided and adding 2+2 helped fill in the blanks.

Registered Member

CX-5 Touring AWD, Tech package, Metro Grey

For those that are interested, the Thule US website now lists a fit kit for the CX-5, and.... surprise surprise, it's the same as nearly every other Mazda, including my old 2006 3 hatchback. Thankfully, I kept the rack, and it's a direct fit onto the CX-5. I just had the widen the tower spacing a bit to fit the wider CX-5 roof. The fit kit is number 3069. You'll want to mount each bar on the inner set of mounting points. That is, each corner has two holes for two bolts, which is what the OEM Mazda roof rails require. But the Thule rack only needs one mounting point per corner. So, to ensure your attachments can actually reach from the front bar to the back, use the rear set of mounting points for the front bar and the front set of mounting points for the back bar. This will also ensure your back bar does not hit the shark fin thing. My Rocky Mounts bike tray was just long enough to reach from one bar to the other with a little overhang.

As for the gutter trim pieces, the Mazda OEM roof rails manual tells you to cut the trim strips to fit. That seems like a bad idea as it would make it easy for dirt to work its way under the roof rack towers, potentially causing rust years down the line. I just drilled holes where the mounting bolts are. It isn't the most elegant solution, but it sure beats getting out your circular saw and risking totally ruining your trim strips. Just mark the holes to drill using a black magic marker on the silver side of the trim pieces.

Registered Member

Pearl White AWD GT w/Tech

Mind posting pics?

Quote Originally Posted by particleman View Post
    For those that are interested, the Thule US website now lists a fit kit for the CX-5, and.... surprise surprise, it's the same as nearly every other Mazda, including my old 2006 3 hatchback. Thankfully, I kept the rack, and it's a direct fit onto the CX-5. I just had the widen the tower spacing a bit to fit the wider CX-5 roof. The fit kit is number 3069. You'll want to mount each bar on the inner set of mounting points. That is, each corner has two holes for two bolts, which is what the OEM Mazda roof rails require. But the Thule rack only needs one mounting point per corner. So, to ensure your attachments can actually reach from the front bar to the back, use the rear set of mounting points for the front bar and the front set of mounting points for the back bar. This will also ensure your back bar does not hit the shark fin thing. My Rocky Mounts bike tray was just long enough to reach from one bar to the other with a little overhang.

As for the gutter trim pieces, the Mazda OEM roof rails manual tells you to cut the trim strips to fit. That seems like a bad idea as it would make it easy for dirt to work its way under the roof rack towers, potentially causing rust years down the line. I just drilled holes where the mounting bolts are. It isn't the most elegant solution, but it sure beats getting out your circular saw and risking totally ruining your trim strips. Just mark the holes to drill using a black magic marker on the silver side of the trim pieces.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5/Touring/Liquid Silver

Has anyone had trouble getting the OEM roof rails? I couldn't get them with my CX-5 when I purchased it. Apparently, there's some engineering hold on them? The parts person could only tell me that either Mazda is having trouble getting component parts or that they're having trouble with the rails design? I got my vehicle in mid-April and still haven't been able to get the rails. I'll probably be looking at either the Thule or Yakima racks if this keeps up.

Thanks!
    Mark

CX5 Sport 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by JTNY View Post
    Mind posting pics?

looks like it requires the factory rails. $435 msrp and kit comes with aero bars.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jcanracer View Post

looks like it requires the factory rails. $435 msrp and kit comes with aero bars.
    Sure, I will post pics tonight. The pic above is not what I have though. I did not get the OEM rails with Thule cross bar. I got Thule towers with Thule cross bars. If you get the Thule towers, there is no need for the OEM rails.

Registered Member

Pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1132053...82/CX5RoofRack

Took me about an hour. The parts I used are:

2010 Thule 460 Podium, Fit Kit Brackets = 3069 for Fixed-Point for 06 Mazda 3 hatchback
    Load Bars length 50 inches
    2010 Thule Lock Cylinders

Total cost (last year) was $336, from ORS Racks. This does not include the bike tray, which I had from a previous car.

CX5 Sport 6spd

ooooooh I think I like this more.
    I have the removable version of this roof rack that clips to the top of the doorjam. Mine is recycled from my Toyota Matrix, and although I made it fit on the CX5, its not a permanent solution, plus I am afraid of it scratching the paint.

That bolt that you show in picture #4, did you have to drill into the roof or is there a slot for it under the black plastic strip?

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD+Tech / SoulRed+ParchmentWhite

ooooooh I think I like this more.
    I have the removable version of this roof rack that clips to the top of the doorjam. Mine is recycled from my Toyota Matrix, and although I made it fit on the CX5, its not a permanent solution, plus I am afraid of it scratching the paint.

That bolt that you show in picture #4, did you have to drill into the roof or is there a slot for it under the black plastic strip?
    no the holes are already there beneath the plastic strips, same holes where the grey roof rails attach.

I personally prefer the grey roof rail solution since it allows the cross bar to be removed, with the other solution you would need something to plug the holes when you remove the rack. But they both look nice.

CX5 Sport 6spd

Particleman, how is the wind noise and MPG loss with those crossbars permanently attached?
    I think i got -2mpg on the highway with my last roofrack.

Registered Member

Particleman, how is the wind noise and MPG loss with those crossbars permanently attached?
    I think i got -2mpg on the highway with my last roofrack.
    It's only been on a few days so I haven't noticed a MPG difference yet. Right now I'm at 32 MPG average (AWD, mostly highway). The wind noise is pretty annoying, and it's not even worth opening the sunroof when there's a bike on the rack because it's so loud. I guess it's the price you pay for a roof rack. Maybe a wind deflector would help? The other solution is to get a hitch rack, but I'm always paranoid about someone rear-ending me and destroying my bikes. Not to mention it makes parallel parking harder.

Also, ZuluCX is correct that if I removed the rack, the holes I drilled in the plastic strips would be exposed. But I don't plan on ever removing the rack as I'm always either riding bikes in spring/summer/fall or skiing in the winter (benefit of living in Colorado!)

CX5 Sport 6spd

yes, I remember visiting Colorado last summer and every car (most of which were Subarus) had a roof rack!
    I live in South Florida and go Kayaking once or twice a month, so I am torn about mounting rail + removable crossbars, or a more permanent solution like yours.

I think the right mix would be the permanent tower and crossbar solution with their aero-bars.

Registered Member

CX-5 Touring

Confused. I really need a roof rack to carry three bikes, do I go with all MAZDA OEM ? or the mazda rails with Thule 450R Crossroad AeroBlade Base Roof Rack?

Registered Member

CX5 Sport MT

Quote Originally Posted by joeatmazda5 View Post
    Confused. I really need a roof rack to carry three bikes, do I go with all MAZDA OEM ? or the mazda rails with Thule 450R Crossroad AeroBlade Base Roof Rack?
    The Mazda dealer bike mounts are basic Yakima mounts, nothing special except overpriced from the dealer. But it will be tight to get 3 bikes on the factory crossbars. Using the Mazda rails with Thule, Yakima Railgrab or Whispbar Thru bars will give you more crossbar width and adjustability. I wanted a cleaner and stronger system than the Mazda rails and here's my system. Whispbar custom tracks with Whispbar Through bars.

I did use a Yakima Control tower w/ Landing Pad 11 that use the same mounting points as the Thule Podium but the long distance between the bars (43") limited the configurations I could set up.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast