CX-5 Roof Racks

Im using the OEM rack and cross bars, in the storage position (both bars positioned in the back) I havent noticed much (if any) loss MPG wise, however when I throw my Thule Slipstream on it takes a huge hit MPG wise.
I need the Slipstream for my kayak to clear the roof antenna and to keep my sea kayak off the lift gates fillet when loading and unloading. Unfortunately the fillet prevents me from opening the life gate more than 80% when the Slipstream (in closed position) is on the roof. So I take my slipstream off when I'm not heading to the ocean for some kayaking :)

Mine came with the rack, the next one without one was a month wait and I kinda needed it ASAP.

Personally I like it, it blends well with the Silver color of the CX-5 and follows the lines rather well. :)

Mine came with the rack, the next one without one was a month wait and I kinda needed it ASAP.

Personally I like it, it blends well with the Silver color of the CX-5 and follows the lines rather well. :)

I have a stormy blue mica CX-5. I'm not sure how the silver rails would look in contrast to the dark blue paint. Wish the rails were black to match the black crossbars.

I'm interested in getting the oem roof rails and crossbars. I know crossbars can definitely affect mileage by as much as 1-2 mpg. I've heard that if you put the bars further back, not sure of the distance, when not in use the effect is less dramatic. I wonder if the rails affect the mpg significantly because I can remove the crossbars easily enough but the rails would pretty much be a permanent fixture on the car. Anyone know? Can't speak about noise.

While I've only had my CX-5 for a few days, it doesn't seem so far to be taking a MPG hit with the factory-installed rails. I've been getting 28-30 mpg in the city, haven't taken it out on the highway enough yet to tell there. And for all the more cabin noise everyone claims that the CX-5 produces, I haven't noticed a thing. I find it to be a fairly quiet and soothing ride, even though I've purposefully listened for excessive outside noise.

Do the roof racks effect MPG and wind noise inside the cabin?

I can answer the second half of your question, subjectively speaking - No.

Regarding MPG - sorry mate, haven't had it long enough to give good intel on that. FWIW I just drove 155 miles averaging close to 80MPH with 2 add'l passengers and some light luggage... 30mpg. Whatever that's worth to you all.

Sorry to double-post, but quick positive shout out for https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) on eBay - just bought rack/rails from them, they shipped within 24 hours, and all for $313. Other stock accessories there for MUCH cheaper than my dealerships here. Dealer I bought from wanted $650 and next closest wanted close to $900 (what a rip). Instructions were included: all you need is a flat-head screwdriver, 10mm socket wrench, a Torx bit for a screwdriver (my el cheapo bit set labeled its size as a "T20" which worked fine but I'm not claming that's "exact fit" for the screw, but awful close, if not), and something to cut the metal/rubber/plastic "gutter guards" that are in your roof now (to make space for the 'feet' of the rack...I used my Dremel but wished I had an appropriate blade on my circular saw). I am very slow at installing such things and I did it all in about 60 minutes, maybe a handful more. Glad I saved hundreds on dealer fees, too, as I see nothing wrong with my installation.

My instructions were missing a step FWIW as well: didn't mention to screw the 'feet' to the 'arms' of the rack with those crazy screws... but observing all the components provided and adding 2+2 helped fill in the blanks.

sounds good thanks for the headsup. Any issues with wind noise now that you have added the rack?

Sorry to double-post, but quick positive shout out for https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) on eBay - just bought rack/rails from them, they shipped within 24 hours, and all for $313. Other stock accessories there for MUCH cheaper than my dealerships here. Dealer I bought from wanted $650 and next closest wanted close to $900 (what a rip). Instructions were included: all you need is a flat-head screwdriver, 10mm socket wrench, a Torx bit for a screwdriver (my el cheapo bit set labeled its size as a "T20" which worked fine but I'm not claming that's "exact fit" for the screw, but awful close, if not), and something to cut the metal/rubber/plastic "gutter guards" that are in your roof now (to make space for the 'feet' of the rack...I used my Dremel but wished I had an appropriate blade on my circular saw). I am very slow at installing such things and I did it all in about 60 minutes, maybe a handful more. Glad I saved hundreds on dealer fees, too, as I see nothing wrong with my installation.

My instructions were missing a step FWIW as well: didn't mention to screw the 'feet' to the 'arms' of the rack with those crazy screws... but observing all the components provided and adding 2+2 helped fill in the blanks.

For those that are interested, the Thule US website now lists a fit kit for the CX-5, and.... surprise surprise, it's the same as nearly every other Mazda, including my old 2006 3 hatchback. Thankfully, I kept the rack, and it's a direct fit onto the CX-5. I just had the widen the tower spacing a bit to fit the wider CX-5 roof. The fit kit is number 3069. You'll want to mount each bar on the inner set of mounting points. That is, each corner has two holes for two bolts, which is what the OEM Mazda roof rails require. But the Thule rack only needs one mounting point per corner. So, to ensure your attachments can actually reach from the front bar to the back, use the rear set of mounting points for the front bar and the front set of mounting points for the back bar. This will also ensure your back bar does not hit the shark fin thing. My Rocky Mounts bike tray was just long enough to reach from one bar to the other with a little overhang.

As for the gutter trim pieces, the Mazda OEM roof rails manual tells you to cut the trim strips to fit. That seems like a bad idea as it would make it easy for dirt to work its way under the roof rack towers, potentially causing rust years down the line. I just drilled holes where the mounting bolts are. It isn't the most elegant solution, but it sure beats getting out your circular saw and risking totally ruining your trim strips. Just mark the holes to drill using a black magic marker on the silver side of the trim pieces.

Mind posting pics?

For those that are interested, the Thule US website now lists a fit kit for the CX-5, and.... surprise surprise, it's the same as nearly every other Mazda, including my old 2006 3 hatchback. Thankfully, I kept the rack, and it's a direct fit onto the CX-5. I just had the widen the tower spacing a bit to fit the wider CX-5 roof. The fit kit is number 3069. You'll want to mount each bar on the inner set of mounting points. That is, each corner has two holes for two bolts, which is what the OEM Mazda roof rails require. But the Thule rack only needs one mounting point per corner. So, to ensure your attachments can actually reach from the front bar to the back, use the rear set of mounting points for the front bar and the front set of mounting points for the back bar. This will also ensure your back bar does not hit the shark fin thing. My Rocky Mounts bike tray was just long enough to reach from one bar to the other with a little overhang.

As for the gutter trim pieces, the Mazda OEM roof rails manual tells you to cut the trim strips to fit. That seems like a bad idea as it would make it easy for dirt to work its way under the roof rack towers, potentially causing rust years down the line. I just drilled holes where the mounting bolts are. It isn't the most elegant solution, but it sure beats getting out your circular saw and risking totally ruining your trim strips. Just mark the holes to drill using a black magic marker on the silver side of the trim pieces.

Has anyone had trouble getting the OEM roof rails? I couldn't get them with my CX-5 when I purchased it. Apparently, there's some engineering hold on them? The parts person could only tell me that either Mazda is having trouble getting component parts or that they're having trouble with the rails design? I got my vehicle in mid-April and still haven't been able to get the rails. I'll probably be looking at either the Thule or Yakima racks if this keeps up.

Thanks!
Mark

Mind posting pics?

ProductImage.ashx

looks like it requires the factory rails. $435 msrp and kit comes with aero bars.

ProductImage.ashx

looks like it requires the factory rails. $435 msrp and kit comes with aero bars.

Sure, I will post pics tonight. The pic above is not what I have though. I did not get the OEM rails with Thule cross bar. I got Thule towers with Thule cross bars. If you get the Thule towers, there is no need for the OEM rails.

ooooooh I think I like this more.
I have the removable version of this roof rack that clips to the top of the doorjam. Mine is recycled from my Toyota Matrix, and although I made it fit on the CX5, its not a permanent solution, plus I am afraid of it scratching the paint.

That bolt that you show in picture #4, did you have to drill into the roof or is there a slot for it under the black plastic strip?

ooooooh I think I like this more.
I have the removable version of this roof rack that clips to the top of the doorjam. Mine is recycled from my Toyota Matrix, and although I made it fit on the CX5, its not a permanent solution, plus I am afraid of it scratching the paint.

That bolt that you show in picture #4, did you have to drill into the roof or is there a slot for it under the black plastic strip?

no the holes are already there beneath the plastic strips, same holes where the grey roof rails attach.

I personally prefer the grey roof rail solution since it allows the cross bar to be removed, with the other solution you would need something to plug the holes when you remove the rack. But they both look nice.

Back