CX-5 Roof Racks

Poto

:
cx5 GT Diesel
I have bought a Black GT Diesel. I am keen to put some roof racks on it. any of the roof rack makers like Rola or Thule have a set to fit yet?

Hi, it seems this kit is good for the new CX-5: Kit Thule 183069_506-3069 (this name is the pdf file instructions).
Ciao, Cesare

I have the roof rails (grey bars that make the length of the car) I will be posting pics once I put them on (I am getting my cx-5 today).

I will be putting my Thule rack on top of those rails I just hope the Thule foots have sufficient contacts with the bars....2 bike racks and 2 kayaks.

Okay cool. The Thule site does not give any racks for the CX5 nor does the Rola site.
I don't Mind the Mazda ones in Australia that sit on top of the roof. I am not that keen on the roof rails, cross bar combo.

Cheers
Poto

Can’t wait to see your pics, "ZuluCX". I’m getting a Crystal White in 2 weeks and am still trying to decide if I’ll add those silver rails on top of mine too.

Have spoken to Thule rep in Australia and he seems to think that the cx7,cx9 system will fit the cx5.
Also have a call out to Rola on there version too. Apparently they make the Mazda brand racks.
Mazda have a wait of some weeks for Racks.
These are different to the rail and cross over type offered by Mazda in the states

Does anyone know if the CX-5 has the same direct-mount holes that the 3 has? I have a 2006 3 hatchback and the roof has holes in it specifically for a roof rack.

I'm looking for more intel on anyone who DIY'd the stock roof racks/rails - ease of installation, tips, etc.
Am also curious like plemieux about wind noise.

I will be doing mine at the end of May, the rails are in the garage right now. I am waiting because my MTB and Kayak season as not started yet and also I find the car look better without them!

The install is pretty easy, PDF can be found on the web

1. you remove the plastic stip covering the rain gutters using a screwdriver starting from the front windshield
2. make 3 cuts at 340mm, 501mm and 1532mm, this gives you 4 pieces of plastic strip
3. throw aside the 2 shortest pieces
4. put the molding strips back leaving 161 mm between the front one and the long one (to leave exposed the bolts)
5. just bolt on the rails using the 4 screws for each rails
6. put the cap on and you are done!

I will post pics when I do mine!

here are the instructions...

roof1-vi.jpg

roof2-vi.jpg

So it looks like the CX-5 does not have the same fixed-point mounting holes like on the 3. Bummer. Thule and Yakima so far don't make a custom rack for the CX-5, at least not on their website. The only aftermarket option is to get the kind that grab on to the OEM rails. For the price of the aftermarket cross bars and feet, might as well get the OEM cross bars.

Thule racks

Option 1 - WingBar Max Load 75*(kg)
Price (Includes GST) $379.00 (RRP)

Foot Pack RT 753 (8.5cm leg)
Bar Pack GL 961
Fit Kit Click to view fitting instructions 3069
Lock INCL
Copied off the Thule Australia website.

I bought this setup. Very happy with them. Not a huge Fan of roof rails with cross bars.

Do the roof racks effect MPG and wind noise inside the cabin?

I'm interested in getting the oem roof rails and crossbars. I know crossbars can definitely affect mileage by as much as 1-2 mpg. I've heard that if you put the bars further back, not sure of the distance, when not in use the effect is less dramatic. I wonder if the rails affect the mpg significantly because I can remove the crossbars easily enough but the rails would pretty much be a permanent fixture on the car. Anyone know? Can't speak about noise.

Option 1 - WingBar Max Load 75*(kg)
Price (Includes GST) $379.00 (RRP)

Foot Pack RT 753 (8.5cm leg)
Bar Pack GL 961
Fit Kit Click to view fitting instructions 3069
Lock INCL
Copied off the Thule Australia website.

I bought this setup. Very happy with them. Not a huge Fan of roof rails with cross bars.

Does each mounting point have two bolts, or one? In the image on the Thule website, the 3069 fit kit shows one bolt coming down, and i think there are actually two holes in the roof for each mounting point.

I'm in the US and the Thule US website does not have this option. I'll either have to wait or have the feet and fit kit shipped all the way to me in the US, because i already have square Thule cross bars.

Does each mounting point have two bolts, or one? In the image on the Thule website, the 3069 fit kit shows one bolt coming down, and i think there are actually two holes in the roof for each mounting point.

They have just the one bolt installed from the roof trough. I am surprised that Thule have racks placed in the Australian market before the US?

Just did a road trip with them, very happy. Economy from the Diesel was about 8Lt/100KM with a rather large Surfboard bag on the racks, a full load of Luggage, two people and the Bub. Mostly doing Highway speeds.

Noise wise, they do have an increase in sound when the Sunroof cover was open but with it closed it was hardly noticeable.

Thanks for the info. I was surprised as well that the US didn't have the same availability as AUS. I sent them an email. If they respond, I'll post an update here.

Glad to hear you're happy with the new setup. I guess they decided they only needed one bolt to secure each foot. As it was, the similar system I had for my 3 hatchback also only used one bolt per foot.

My dealer talked me out of getting the rails on my GT, quoting noise and decreased MPGs. I would use them mainly for skis only, so he told me to come back in November, when I am ready to go skiing. Not sure how real that advice was, but now my CX-5 doesn't have any rails on it.

FYI, for those in the US who want the Thule rack, this is what i just got back from their Support: "

We are currently working on a fit for this vehicle. Please check the Fit Guide again in 4-6 weeks for updates. Thank you for your patience. Thule is working hard to design the safest, most secure installation for this vehicle."

So, if you want a rack on your CX-5, and you don't want the OEM rack, check the Thule site in mid June.

Back