2013~2016 How do you remove the CX-5 floor mats?

drmoll2011

:
Mazda CX-5 Sport Manual
Okay, this sounds like a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get the front floor mats off the grommets. Owners manual is no help. I need to clean them off. Can someone give me idiot-proof instructions? Thanks!

There is a inner button on each grommet. Push inner button down to release floor mat from floor. Also, there is no such thing as a dumb question.

Funny you ask that, I got the winter mats with my CX-5 and I asked the exact same thing.... took me a bit but eventually ripped them out. I did not know the buttons pressed down I thought they were just posts.

Curious as to the variations between the mats.

I think I have standard mats. The base of the mats are small teeth that are meant to grip the carpet. There is a flaw with these mats because the teeth slip on the black scuff protector on the carpet of the driver footwell. This makes the driver mat slip a lot. I also note the mat wears very quickly.

By the way.... can this be put into one of the sub CX-5 forums rather than the top level?

Defintely not a dumb question - I've been trying to fiqure this out for the past 3 weeks. I tried pushing down the inner button and it still won't release.

I struggled with the removing the mats this past weekend. The "Buttons" in the center of the grommets are not really Buttons. That center knob visible when the mats are in place is just the end of the fastener attached to the carpets and is held in place by friction. There is no spring-loaded action that you equate to a button.

To pop the fastener out of the grommet, push down on the "button" with the thumb of one hand and put the fingers of your other hand in between the mat and the fastener that is attached to the carpet. As you push down on the button with the thumb, place your fingers of the same hand under the mat so that you can pull it up at the same time. Place your other hand under the mat, hold the fastener in place and pinch your fingers together to cause the mat to be pushed up. The fastener is not attached very securely to the carpet/floor so be careful not to rip it out.

Last edited:
Certainly not the best design for mat fasteners. Look at any late model Mercedes mat attachment setup for comparison.

Flathead screwdriver

My factory mats were really stuck. I would have torn them right out of the carpet if I used my hands. I found a medium flathead under the mat was easier. Go for the opening closest to the mat and they'll pop right off the post. I just swapped in some Mazda rubber mats.

My factory mats were really stuck. I would have torn them right out of the carpet if I used my hands. I found a medium flathead under the mat was easier. Go for the opening closest to the mat and they'll pop right off the post. I just swapped in some Mazda rubber mats.

Just used this method (after searching for help). Worked great, and I was careful not to scratch anything. Soon to have CX5 OEM carpet mats for sale =)

thanks guys, i have the same problem with my new mazda6 2014...i just cant get them off..i will retry..

Is not that difficult once you figure that the center pin is attached to the carpet. The way I do it is pushing the center pin down with the back of a plastic ball pen while with the other hand, grab the corner of the mat to pull the grommet up.

Okay, this sounds like a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get the front floor mats off the grommets. Owners manual is no help. I need to clean them off. Can someone give me idiot-proof instructions? Thanks!
I found I could not push the buttons to release the mats. So I lifted the front of the mats and pushed them right back to the seat (Also right back) then put a flat head srewdriver between the section attached to the carpet and the top section (attached to the mat). By twisting the crewdriver the mats came off the pins easily Dave A

Certainly not the best design for mat fasteners. Look at any late model Mercedes mat attachment setup for comparison.

It's not rocket science and I've not had any trouble figuring out how to remove these types of floor mats since they were introduced years ago.

Come on, look at the design for a moment, think about it, and I'm sure most people can see what's going on.

On mine there is no "pressing the button down" - It's just a fixed post and the aftermarket Oedro all weather mats clip onto them. You can put your thumb on the center post to help keep the carpet from raising, but the mat simply snaps on and off the center post. I suppose if you wait a long time between cleanings, you may get dirt build up which could jam the mat onto the post?

Back