Breaking it in...

sami1228

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 (GS-Black)
I understand that with new vehicles you have to break in the engine, etc...

Is someone able to provide insight into how you do this properly, accurately and efficiently?
1) How long does it take?
2) Does speed matter?
3) Revs (High or Low)
4) Is there an upper speed threshold that the car must not go over during the break-in period?

Please advise with any information that might be helpful.

regards,

is there anything regarding this in teh user manual? i dont think break in periods are as important as they used to be
check with the dealer

With today's modern cars, you don't really need to break them in but just be cautious for the first 1000 km's. Just drive it in a normal manner with no harsh acceleration and vary your speed.

With today's modern cars, you don't really need to break them in but just be cautious for the first 1000 km's. Just drive it in a normal manner with no harsh acceleration and vary your speed.
Yes, agreed. Vary the speed is important but also not rev it too high or have it struggle in too higher gear at low revs.

My dealer said there was "NO" break-in period for this vehicle. So I drove it away and always keep it above 5k rpm! (Kidding!!). For my 08 Honda Civic Si I was told the break in period was about 500 miles or so, not to take it above 4k rpm, vary my speeds, not to do only highway mileage, and moderate acceleration. Basically taking it easy for 500 miles should be fine.

From page 3-37 in the manual:

Break-In Period
No special break-in is necessary, but a few
precautions in the first 1,000 km (600
miles) may add to the performance,
economy, and life of your Mazda.
l Do not race the engine.
l Do not maintain one constant speed,
either slow or fast, for a long period of
time.
l Do not drive constantly at full-throttle
or high engine rpm for extended
periods of time.
l Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
l Avoid full-throttle starts.
l Do not tow a trailer.

The advice is pretty much true for all cars. Don't ever touch that cruise control. Either keep it through the daily traffic or on a road trip through back roads.

i dont understand the cruise control comment above. could you pls elaborate?

Cruise control use will establish a constant speed/rpm on fairly level ground which is not desirable with a brand new engine

From page 3-37 in the manual:

Break-In Period
No special break-in is necessary, but a few
precautions in the first 1,000 km (600
miles) may add to the performance,
economy, and life of your Mazda.
l Do not race the engine.
l Do not maintain one constant speed,
either slow or fast, for a long period of
time.
l Do not drive constantly at full-throttle
or high engine rpm for extended
periods of time.
l Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
l Avoid full-throttle starts.
l Do not tow a trailer.

What is "...for a long period of time".?
half an hour?, twenty minutes?, an hour?.

It doesn't matter. Just don't use cruise at all for the first 1k km. I am at a cabin 300 km away right now with 400 km on the car. During the drive up I just made sure to vary my speed as much as possible and often downshifted into 5th and even 4th for short periods. Planned a lunch break and bathroom stop as well to get through the gears in slower driving. It's all good.

Another point to remember is that we are polishing/burnishing, breaking-in not only the engine but, the transmission gears, bearings and brakes. According to my Mazda CX7 and Subaru, the wear metals stabilized ~ 6,000 miles. This demonstrates that full break-in occurs at 5-6K miles although 90% may be accomplished in 1,500 miles. Ed

Owner's manual states to drive easy the first 600 miles.. page 3-39.

Back