Noise/vibration from front end above 30mph

Ward83

:
2003 Protege5
Hey all, I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into this. I'm getting some noise and vibration from the front end at speeds over 30mph. I initally thought maybe it was just alignment or tires, so I had 2 new front tires put on, and got it aligned, and it made no difference. Both front rims are curb-rashed though, so I'm thinking maybe they are out of true. I'm going to try replacing the rims and see if that helps. If that doesn't do it, the only other things I can think of are the front wheel bearings or maybe CV shafts. I found a how-to for the rear wheel bearings, but is there one for the fronts? Is there anything else it could be? The car has 127k on it.

No, it doesn't change when turning. Also, when I had it aligned, I had the guy check the hubs for play, and he said there was none. Still, I'm thinking it could be a wheel bearing going bad. Should I replace just the bearings, or the entire hubs? I think the bearings are pressed in, so I'll have to have a shop do that, but it's about half the cost of replacing the entire hub/bearing assembly. My previous cars have all been RWD, so I'm more familiar with non-hubbed rotors, and simple drop-in bearings. Do I need to grease the new bearings the same way (good old roll the bearing in a palmful of grease method)?

When I had mine done I got just the bearing for $25 and then paid a shop to do it they only charged 125 for labor

Resurrecting this thread since I have the same problem: A vibration sound in the front end that is not related to engine activity. When I coast down a hill in neutral, the pitch of the sound rises and falls with the speed of the car, and in my case, the sound does go away when I turn the steering wheel to the left (not sure about the right), then returns when the wheel comes back to center. Is this a bearing issue, then?

Thanks. Now that I've had more time with the sound, these are the symptoms:

• Only really noticeable above 30 mph.
  • Not associated with engine activity--rises in both volume and pitch with increasing speed, even in neutral or with the clutch pedal depressed.
  • More of a sound than a felt vibration, at least for the moment. The car is pretty buzzy to start with, and I can't detect any additional vibration from this noise.
  • The sound subsides when I turn left and seems to intensify slightly when I turn right.

It's not how I would have imagined a bad bearing sounding, but I'm not sure what else it could be. Any tips for diagnosis short of pulling the hubs off?

I've replaced the front wheel bearings on my 03 P5 twice now, and one of them is about ready for its third replacement.

In all cases, the symptoms you describe are exactly the symptoms I've had when one of my wheel bearings went bad.

And it's a pretty common issue with our beloved P5. It's your wheel bearings. Definitely.

Thanks. Now that I've had more time with the sound, these are the symptoms:

• Only really noticeable above 30 mph.
  • Not associated with engine activity--rises in both volume and pitch with increasing speed, even in neutral or with the clutch pedal depressed.
  • More of a sound than a felt vibration, at least for the moment. The car is pretty buzzy to start with, and I can't detect any additional vibration from this noise.
  • The sound subsides when I turn left and seems to intensify slightly when I turn right.

It's not how I would have imagined a bad bearing sounding, but I'm not sure what else it could be. Any tips for diagnosis short of pulling the hubs off?

Mechanic's stethescope or long screwdriver, place on wheel hub and spin the wheel and see if you hear an intermittent groan/grinding noise while rotating by hand.

But yes all signs point to wheel bearing. Usually it's the side that goes away when you turn the wheel in that direction (i.e. noise goes away turning right, then it's likely the pax side wheel bearing)

The sooner you do it the easier it will press out. The heat and pounding tends to seize it up good.

not sure of prices around your area...but if you're able to remove the hub/knuckle assembly...and take it to a shop with 2 new wheel bearings...my local shops only charge about $35 for pulling/installing both new bearings...you can also rent a kit from places like autozone, for free, that has all the bearing washers/spacers and pullers needed to do it yourself...you'll just need access to a shop press to do it right...

I agree with others though...just do it before it gets too bad, if you never have...if the bearing's out race spins in there, it can destroy the knuckle...making a relatively cheap problem a lot more expensive...

Back