hitch mounted bicycle racks

I have a North Shore Bike rack which I was using on my 06 Murano and tried most racks before finally setting on a NSBR.

I live on the North Shore in Vancouver and I'd have to say 80-90% of mountain bikers in BC have one installed... Best bike rack hands down

And a quick vid...

Last edited:
eFXnDlB.jpg

Just purchased a curt 2" hitch and a Kuat NV black/chrome. Kuat is the only way to go IMO if you want a quality secure rack. If you spend thousands on your bikes don't cheap out on the rack. I will post pics when installed.

Just ordered the Curt Class 3 hitch from www.hitchanything.com. It is $125 free shipping to my door. Just posting since this is the best price I found right now and ponied up. Once I have a bike trip planned I'll get the bike rack but will likely get a cargo cage for it first since I'm about to build a house and will use that for tools/saws, etc. Don't want to get my CX5 dirty inside!

I have the same hitch as you , its awesome!

PS: If you are doing the install yourself, I have a tool i'm selling a exhaust hanger removal tool, it makes the install a cinch.

Let me know if you are interested. Thanks!

Just ordered the Curt Class 3 hitch from www.hitchanything.com. It is $125 free shipping to my door. Just posting since this is the best price I found right now and ponied up. Once I have a bike trip planned I'll get the bike rack but will likely get a cargo cage for it first since I'm about to build a house and will use that for tools/saws, etc. Don't want to get my CX5 dirty inside!

I also have the same hitch. I bought a platform type bike carrier. Check out what's available at amazon and then see if other vendors sell it for less.

Nice. If you tow a trailer there is a how to with part #s to install a curt harness. Done it myself works great, very clean installation no visible wires. Also, if you are concerned about your frame/rear shock you can get a firestone ride rite for the rears (if you tow regularly). I had some but sent them back because I forgot I was lowered when I ordered it. They slide into the spring then you inflate it.
$T2eC16FHJHYE9nzpcC-LBRL7mowLJQ~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:
JTNY, thanks but I should manage. I plan to install it Friday or Saturday. I'll be sure to eat my Wheaties!

CXFive, I'm actually looking for a platform I'll see if they fit bikes too. Thanks for the tip.

Chris, I won't be towing much, just maybe some tree stumpers or a small trailer of tools here and there so my suspension should be fine but also appreciated. Thanks.

AND...just as an update, I ordered the hitch yesterday, it is here today. I thought this big ol thing would take 6 business days. Nope, next day service! hitchanything.com must have a warehouse around here. So if you're in the Midwest, not only is the price the best I could find, it's practically drop shipped next day.

If you have a roll around jack it makes this job a lot easer. Find a board that will span the two sides of the hitch. Move it until you find the balance point. Now you can lift the hitch into place. Once it is where you want it lift it another half inch or so pressing it up against the car. That will hold it while you put the nuts on and tighten it.

Frank

for those of you with the Kuat or similar racks (i have a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 on a 2018 CX5), did anyone have issues w/ the exhaust heat damaging the bike tires? Some of the tray racks like the Kuat place the bike wheels/tires very close to the dual exhaust outlets. I have seen threads of issues with other cars (BMX X5, etc), but was hoping I'd be ok w/ 2 bikes on my Sherpa. The only solution I can think of is to try and get some exhaust tips that point downwards. Thanks in advance!

for those of you with the Kuat or similar racks (i have a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 on a 2018 CX5), did anyone have issues w/ the exhaust heat damaging the bike tires?

Thank you for this warning. I have a Saris SuperClamp EX 2 bike tray-style rack that I haven't actually used for any great distance yet (longer length trip later this year). The Saris from I can see is a bit differently configured from your Kuat...the hitch bar angles upwards, so the bike tires won't be in a direct line with the exhaust tips, and also the first bike sits about a good 13" away from where the tips are. The Kuat looks like it sits more in direct line and also closer, I think. But still a good thing to watch! I see there are hitch risers that will add some height (but also distance out from the back of the car, unfortunately) between the exhaust and such bike racks, so a potential solution for those with this concern.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info re: Curt. I just picked on my 2019 CX5 today, but already bought a Yakima 2 bike rack from a friend who never used it. I need to get the hitch and have it installed. 2 questions - class 3 is appropriate as opposed to class 1 or 2? Should I get the wiring harness even thought I have no need to use in the near future? (Rephrased easier to install wiring harness with hitch as opposed to later on). Appreciate any feedback

Hitch itself has no bearing on the wiring harness install at all. Only benefit would be that you're already working on the car. If you don't need it, there's no benefit to installing now vs when you do need it.

There are multiple class options for the hitch. Any of which are fine for a 2 bike rack. 3 or more bikes may need higher class hitches.

More important is to see what your rack needs. A 2" receiver is generally more compatible across the board. 1 1/4" accessories can relatively easily be adapted to a 2" hitch. Most 1 1/4" compatible racks come with the necessary adapters. You won't be able to use any 2" accessories safely on a 1 1/4" hitch. Yes, there are adapters out there but they're unwieldy and only further reduce the already limited tongue weight being applied to the hitch.

Thanks Studum. My rack has the adapter to reduce to 1 1/4* but will stick with 2* as I like the idea of getting a cargo cage. I*ll skip the wiring harness for now.

I bought the Kuat NV 2.0 2-Bike Platform Rack - 2" Hitches - Tilting - Metallic Black, from etrailer, great price. It weighs ~50#, but it works very well. I had a bad experience once with an inexpensive bike rack and my carbon bike fell off in the middle of the highway, luckily everyone avoided it. Buy cheap buy twice...

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Back