hitch mounted bicycle racks

robertk

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Tour AWD
I am thinking about getting the Mazda Class I trailer hitch installed on my CX-5 and using it to mount a bike rack that can carry both mens road and ladies mountain bicycles. Although I used a roof rack to carry our bicycles on previous cars, I am looking at the trailer hitch in part because I may also be pulling a small sailboat for short distances.

Because of the carrying capacity limitations associated with the Class I hitch, I can see an advantage to getting a rack made predominately of aluminum instead of the traditional steel. For instance, the Kuat Beta weighs only about 11 pounds.

In order to effectively determine which racks will fit the Mazda, I may need to wait until after the hitch is installed so I can measure the distance between the hitch pin hole and the rear of the bumper (e.g., need to know the minimum clearance required to ensure that the rack doesn't hit the bumper, particularly for those that fold up for storage). Can anyone provide this measurement so I can narrow down these choices now:
  • Mazda bike rack for hitch (might be a Yakima Doubledown 2)
  • Yakima Highlite
  • Kuat Beta
  • Kuat NV Core
  • 1UP USA (very expensive)
Any other suggestions?

BTW: One of my criteria when car shopping last month was whether my road bicycle would fit in the car with the back seats down. Each dealer where I test drove a car let me put my blanket down to protect the car interior/bumper and then see how well the bicycle fit.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I too ride bikes often and was wondering if it would be possible to install an aftermarket class 2 or 3 hitch just for the sole purpose of being able to use Yakima/Thule hitch mounts without having to use 1 1/4" sleeve adaptor.

Thule T2? I love it and they make class I version. It's not the lightest, but even with two bikes you are well below 200lbs limit.

Hi RobertK --- I used etrailer.com http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Mazda/CX-5/2013/C12080.html?vehicleid=2013308720 --- installation was fairly smooth but for some very odd reason (I scratched my head on this) it did on occasion hit the d/s exhaust tip and became somewhat annoying-- the fit came in very tight. I paid my local shop $25 and they took off about 2" via they weld and it took care of the noise. I also purchased the Thule 4 bike carrier -- LOVE it...has extra weight on it but worth the extra features it comes with it--- http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Thule/TH9025.html NEGOTIATE -- Thule has strict price restrictions but with some phone chat, etc I was able to get the whole order delivered free and take $50 off!

Good luck!

Hey,I also ride bikes and I think you have taken good decision to install trailer hitch to carry bikes.If your idea works ,tell me then I will also do the same.

The reason I chose the CX-5 over the Rogue or others was the fact it had more cargo area and I could fit both our bikes in the back. I had thought about the hitch mount, but my wife talked me out of it. She wasn't about to let me put her Felt Z3 on the back where someone might be able to swipe it while we were at breakfast. So, in the back they go!!!

See this thread for more disscusions on installing a hitch and bike rack. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123815827-Mazda-Accessory-Hitch

I'm using the Curt Class II Hitch and Swagman XTC2 Hitch Rack. I like that it supports the bikes by the wheels and the vertical bar holds them down so they can't bump into the car or other bike. You can use pad locks on the hook arms and also a locking hitch pin for security. If I ever have to leave the bikes unattended, I'll also throw on a cabel lock on the bikes and pass it through the safety chain loop on the hitch. It would be difficult but not impossiable for someone to steal the bikes with that method.

Attached a pic of my setup.

Attachments

• CX5_hitch.jpg
    CX5_hitch.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 794
Last edited:
1up. its worth it.

ive never talked to anyone who didnt say it was worth every penny

Is their least expensive rack capable of carrying two bikes $529? It seems a bit on the high side considering the Swagman XTC2 preforms quite well for 1/4 the cost. I'll happily put my extra $300 into something else. JMO

Raxxter Racks also get pretty good reviews on mtb forums. I might go with the Thule T2 myself, mainly because you can tilt the rack out so you can still access the trunk, and because there's a built in cable lock you can wrap around the top tube.

http://www.raxterracks.com/

Hi robertk. I purchased this Curt hitch for my CX-5: https://www.hitchdepotusa.com/Part/13127
Paid $140, they had some campaign going on. I went for the "class III" solely because of the 2" receiver tube. Would not trust their weight/load ratings though..

1up was on top of my list for rack but I could not justify myself the cost since I don't carry my bike around daily. Not even weekly.
After going through tons of reviews and opinions I went for Swagman XP Fold Down 3-bike carrier. $140 with free shipping from Amazon.
My intention is to carry 2 bikes on it and based on reviews I bought this model that is meant for 3 bikes. Most reviews said that it's really
difficult if not impossible to fit 3 bikes on this rack...so I figured I'd be ok with it since I'm hauling 2 bikes.
3 bikes would be a really tight fit. 2 bikes is a breeze.

Seems sturdier than I expected. Weighs a ton though..
Has a lock but would not leave bike(s) out of sight for too long.
However, IF you are planning to haul around a beefy MTB, do check the diameter of the frame. My bike
barely fits and it's not a heavy duty frame nor DH bike.

I'm happy with it.

photo_zps9fe1b330.jpg

Which bike rack do people recommend for the Class II Curt hitch? Trying to look for a hitch rack with the least amount of sway. Thank you.
1. Yakima DoubleDown Ace 2
2. Yakima Highlite 2
3. Yakima StickUp
4. Swagman XTC2 Hitch Rack

As someone else noted on another thread and as I have found out the hard way that some hitch mounted bike racks may interfere with the blind spot monitoring system. Since my love for cycling exceeds vehicles I can live with it and thankfully Mazda provided a switch to turn off the system when I need or when I find it to be stuck in the "on" position.

I just wanted to restate this again for those that have yet to find this out or want to find another bike mount option.

It also depends on the bike and how it rides on the carrier. Bikes that sit more level tend to interfere with BSM more that those that are angled.

To those of you that installed hitches on your CX-5s:

Have you noticed any change in your MPG, just driving with the hitch and no rack?

I installed a Curt Class III hitch which weighs 40lbs. Though I haven't noticed any difference in MPG, logic would indicate that the extra 40lbs is hurting milage.

Back