CX-9 Clogged AC Evaporator Drain

I'm thinking instead of using forced air making a connection to my shop vac. Mine isn't clogged, yet, but it happens on my truck as well

I'm thinking instead of using forced air making a connection to my shop vac. Mine isn't clogged, yet, but it happens on my truck as well

Just don't use the wife's $500 Dyson! Others apparently have used a shop-vac with some success as well.

Curious if anyone knows what that small 'vent' connects to, that is obviously the entry-point of water entering the blower motor? I'm wondering if it would actually be best to remove the blower motor and send a blast of air into that 'vent/port'.......thereby forcing the air towards the 'clog' and hopefully out through the drain under the vehicle...?
If you don't know what I'm talking about, the 'vent/port' is where the black plastic section of the motor housing would connect to....the nearly 1/2 round section as seen at the 9 o'clock position of the blower assembly in this eBay listing....
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I registered just to thank the OP and everyone here for their advice. I have a 2015 with only 22K miles and my wife came home today and "oh by the way, I think I hear water in the dash board". What?! She said that you could hear sloshing whenever you went around a turn. When you made a left turn, the blower motor would kick on high. So of course I paniced and took it for a test drive. Sure enough, I heard it too. I took a different approach and disconnected the battery and took out the blower motor itself. Not much water came out. Hmmm. So I went and got a couple towels to put on the passenger floor, hopped in the car and did about 4 fast laps around our round-about. Nearly a gallon of water poured out (redneck mechanic at its best). I left the motor out so it and the vents could dry out. Came in the house and did a search and found this thread. I got under the car and used my air compressor with the blower attachment and about another 2 liters came out and soaked me. Did the back one too but nothing came out. Thank you again to all for your help.

I had a 2007 CX9 before I recently traded it in for the 2017 version. This issue happened in that vehicle constantly ... I had to clear out the drain with my air compressor at least twice/yr. Never noticed any cause for the blockage ... just an extremely poor design.

+1

My wife reported a noise when turning left. After hearing it myself and then witnessing water pouring from under the passenger side dashboard, I Googled to (once again) find this forum with (once again) helpful information.

I planned on changing the air and cabin filters, so I jacked up the car on the drivers side, pulled back the heatshield, and shop vac'd (with the carpet nozzle attachment) and the flood gates opened. I replaced the cabin filter afterwards and shop vac'd under the dash and carpet. I don't think the floor mat was anymore wet than when there is snow on shoes. No need to pull carpets here.

I also decided to create an account to share my story and say thank you!

So after 7.5 years/128k miles this finally happened to our 2010. Great forum, I put the car on the lift and hit it with my blowgun attachment from my air compressor. I'd say about a gallon came out. The question I have - to stop this from recurring - is there a way to flush it out? Where is the air intake, would it be possible to run some water through the system? I'd guess it's the grill underneath the cowl. Anyone try this?

Hi all,

On my 2008 CX9 GT I had the ac problem and then the blower motor problem too..!

But after all this my Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) intermittently started to fail and now its fully off. I think the water caused some damage to the BSM sensor or a module near the dash of the car. Can someone point me which sensor/module I need to replace to get the Blind Spot Monitor to work again?

The dealer quoted me like $800 so I think I want to try repair it myself first - thanks! Eric

Anyone know where's the top side of this drain?

The thought of blowing blockage UP in the drain makes me cringe. I want it to come down/out of there.
Any ideas of where to access from the top side to blow out? Or should I stick with a high powered shop vac to pull it through?

Thanks all.

Back