Power draw

vfrguy

:
2013 CX-5 Touring
On 3/29 I went out to the car and the car was completely dead. I jumped it off and drove it the dealer and they showed that the battery an alternator were fine. So I figured it was a fluke. At his time it had 850 miles on it. Well on 4/2 I went to get in it and again the car was completely dead, now with 1000 miles. Got it jumped off and took it back to the dealer. Well 3 days later they found that its drawing just over an amp of power with nothing on. The DVD player was disconnected, thinking maybe that was the issue, but the power draw was still there. Needless to say the dealer and techs have no idea where the issue is, and they had a dead battery this morning on it(4/4).

that sucks...hope that they get the problem fixed for you sooner than latter. Keep us updated and let us know what the problem was when they find it.

Oh I will definitely keep everyone updated. I went up to the dealer earlier today about it and Mazda USA was on the phone with the service guy and I gotto talk to them and express my concerns about it. They seem to be following it closely as well because it's a new model.

I don't want to pretend to tell them how to troubleshoot this, but they need to narrow it down to the offending circuit, then onto whatever part hooked up to that is causing the problem, This is pretty easy with this gadgett: http://www.gadgetjq.com/fuse_buddy.htm

fuse_buddy.gif

Just a thought...I read in the owners manual, that you need to have the keyremote away from the car when not in use, or it will cause a power draw, as the car is keeping the system ready because key is near.

Just a thought...I read in the owners manual, that you need to have the keyremote away from the car when not in use, or it will cause a power draw, as the car is keeping the system ready because key is near.
I don't know how remote is remote enough but I keep my key on a hook in the garage which is about 5ft from driver's door (and about 2.5ft from front left headlight) and have completely no issue with car battery after a month of use.

Okay, so according to the dealer...the ecu of the vehicle is able to detect the minute power draw of the DVDs that were installed. The headrests were tapped into the accessory part of the head unit as normally done, but because of the way the system is designed the ecu never shut down causing the battery to die. They stated that they were able run a resistor(?) in line to allow the ecu to turn off once the ignition was turned off.

Back