Window Tints (?)

Does it really matter what the different shops metered the back out as? We both went with 20% on the fronts and think it's a perfect match. I would say, if you trust the tint shop, have them meter it with their meter and put on what they think will be the best match. I'd wager that they will but on 20%

Another forum user had said it metered at 16%, so he went with 15% on the fronts and also claims it to be an exact match... That's why the confusion.

I got my fronts tinted yesterday with 20% and its pretty close to matching the factory rears. I think 15% would be just a tad darker, but it may even out due to the amount of light coming in from the windshield. Ill post up pics as soon I get some shots.

Protg: did you end up getting your windows tinted?

Last edited:
I had my windows tinted today!

Went with 35% all the way around on all windows. Only 20% on front windows is "legal" in MA, but its one of those things that they get you on if you've been driving like an idiot, or have a car that strongly suggests to the cops that you are an idiot! Since this car will be mostly stock looking, I think I can fly under the radar. I hate the look of the front windows different that the rest of the windows.

All tint is single sheet, hand cut, and back window was heat shrunk to properly shape to the back curve. Door window gaskets were removed during install so the tint film extends out of sight. Took about 90 min. Very happy.

Now i just need to de-badge the back end!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

As an aside, Im contemplating doing an A pillar black out with plastidip...

what do you think?

Click the link for a gif that toggles between the bronze and the blackout----> Animation 1.gif

attachment.php

No, please don't black out the A-pillar. It won't look right at all. Honda put black tape over the painted windshield frame on the S2000 convertibles (for whatever reason), and most owners remove it because it looks WAY better in the body's color.

Plus it would look really odd having a hard paint line at the top, where that section of the A-pillar transitions up to the side of the roof and down between the rear windows and hatch glass.

I got my fronts tinted yesterday with 20% and its pretty close to matching the factory rears. I think 15% would be just a tad darker, but it may even out due to the amount of light coming in from the windshield. Ill post up pics as soon I get some shots.

Protg: did you end up getting your windows tinted?

@ghost_ix... Sorry for the late reply, kind of forgot about this thread. I did get my windows tinted over the course of two months or so. Just wanted to chime in with my findings in case anyone is currently at the same situation I was in, decisive on tinting, but unsure what tint % to go with.
Straight to the point, my final results are 15% on front driver and passenger side windows. Get the 15%, you won't regret it and you will save yourself time and grief of having it redone.
My rear factory tints measured out at 23-25%. (not sure how the other user measured at 16%) My first go at it was 25%.... a month later, I went back, removed it, and put on 15%.
Without a doubt, 15% is the perfect match for me from the outside. I don't think you could go wrong with 20% up front either. Anything higher than 20%, you would notice a difference.
From the inside, you can tell a very slight difference in shade between front and rear window. And I mean a very slight difference. When the 25% was on, it was nearly spot on from inside asides the color of the tint (3M premium has a slight greenish hue, whereas factory is black toned). From outside, the difference was notable between front and rear window at all times of day. Even at night time, if you happened to be parked close to or under a street light, you would see the difference. And the closer you are to the car, the more noticeable the difference.
So there you have it, my personal experience and learning curve.
For the ones who put 30-35% up front, I would imagine a big difference during the day. But ultimately, it's what you're comfortable with.

Last edited:
Mine must have 15% on the front side windows. It looks a touch darker than the rear from inside, but looks pretty spot on from the outside. The car came from Florida, though, and I'm not sure if 15% is legal in my state. (whistle)

Mine must have 15% on the front side windows. It looks a touch darker than the rear from inside, but looks pretty spot on from the outside. The car came from Florida, though, and I'm not sure if 15% is legal in my state. (whistle)

It's good yours came pre-tinted, and to match as well. Saves you the trouble and time of having to find installer, researching, etc.
That's of course, assuming you wanted the front windows tinted?
I doubt 15% on front side windows are legal in any state.

wish I can put tints on my black CX-5

but NY and NJ have very strict laws about window tints, it has more to do with police safety at night

in NJ, you can't have any tint at all http://tintlaws.com/new-jersey-window-tint-law.php
you can't even have the GPS mounted to the front windshield

and in NY 70% is the lowest you can go (so strict my friend got pulled over twice on the same day for 20% front tints)

Looking into getting this done myself. Sounds like ceramic is the way to go. I'm told the rear window tint is paint so it won't have the effect that the tint the shops put on. So an overlay on the back windows is warranted.

It's good yours came pre-tinted, and to match as well. Saves you the trouble and time of having to find installer, researching, etc.
That's of course, assuming you wanted the front windows tinted?
I doubt 15% on front side windows are legal in any state.

Yeah I've always wanted to get the windows tinted on my Integra, but it's just one of those things where it was never a priority to spend the money on it. My aunt lives near Atlanta and always gets tint installed on every vehicle she gets. She swears by it, and I can see why. I've definitely been able to tell a difference in the lower heat level inside the car when it sits out in the sun during the warmer months, as compared to my Integra with no tint at all, not even factory tint on the rear glass.

Got Suntek CarbonXP 35% all around.

On my Mazda6 I've actually got Suntek CXP 80% tint on the windshield. Cuts down on cabin heat significantly.

but NY and NJ have very strict laws about window tints, it has more to do with police safety at night

in NJ, you can't have any tint at all http://tintlaws.com/new-jersey-window-tint-law.php

and in NY 70% is the lowest you can go (so strict my friend got pulled over twice on the same day for 20% front tints)

Wow, twice on the same day?! May I ask where and when in NY/NJ was he pulled over for 20%?
Prior to my CX-5, I had a protg for about 8 years w/35% tint all around minus windshield. I was/am in New York, NY area. Knock on wood... never been hassled or pulled over once for the 35% tint all around. I've traveled in and out of NJ as well during the time I've had my protg. I've now had 15% front tints on my CX-5 for about 2 months now, and haven't encountered law enforcement yet (once again, knock on wood LOL)

Most NYers who tint there windows anywhere under 50%, are well aware of the risk associated when referring to legal limit.

image_zpszgqtorxv.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
image_zps106vgkv7.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
I don't know how many percent this is but it's dark, you can not watch inside!! From the front a sun block kail.
image_zpshivyybdv.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

just FYI, starting in 2017, tints will be part of mandatory annual inspections, if you have tint lower than 70% you'll fail inspection

Hey guys I need help! I recently got my wife's 2014 Cx-5 tinted and the back triangular windows came out horrible! Huge section at the top that clearly can be seen from the outside that doesn't have tint at all. Is it possible for tint to be applied at the very top of these windows? Thanks!

Hey guys I need help! I recently got my wife's 2014 Cx-5 tinted and the back triangular windows came out horrible! Huge section at the top that clearly can be seen from the outside that doesn't have tint at all. Is it possible for tint to be applied at the very top of these windows? Thanks!

maybe take it back to where you got them done and ask them to fix it or you can easily do it yourself and save some money, these days everything is laser pre-cut to the exact size and shape, except for tint shops where they buy BULK rolls and use a blade to trace the windows, sound like they messed up and cut to much off and it's a bad tint job, only way is to peel it off and do it again, almost impossible to match their cut outline and fill in the empty space (also it will be very ugly, you'll see a line), it's easier to apply a whole new film.

for your car, it's only $14.99 (whole set) for the back tints, just need to pick out the right shade to match fronts,

see link and also search youtube on how to apply tint, it's so easy, just need baby shampoo and distilled water and same basic tinting tools you can get off eBay, after applying you'll see some liquid and tiny air bubbles between tint and glass, but just leave it alone for a few days and it will all disappear

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Okay now to all my NY friends. I have 20% in the front, 10% in the back (although I never had either tested). My inspection isn't up til December 2017, anyone on LI happen to know a guy who knows a guy who might give a elbow nudge to someone who may let it slide?

Back